Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar power (electrical systems) who has got them

So, JWTK
    Electrical power generated solar systems for residential homes.
    Who has got them
    And whadda ya think
    Feedback.

yes, have a 3kw system installed last year, so getting crap rebate for unused power... suggest probably a smaller system that would cover your daytime usage as it is no longer worth getting massive size array as the ROR of it is now not worth it... my power bill has decreased, but marginally considered that power has increased in price... I have fish tanks, network servers running during the day, so the panels should cover those usage.

The inverter will be loud... make sure they install it in an area that would not disturb anyone when the loud fan kicks in...
    "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Yeap we have 1.9kw and went from using 30kw a day to using 6kw but was very careful just to see what we could get it down to. Bills are $100 every 2 months during good seasons I.e. spring autumn, summer, highest winter bill was $150.

We have pool, big tv on all day, 3 fridges etc etc. Hope that helps.

Like okitoki says use all you make because tight arse Barnett pays very little for your excess power.

Comment

One other thing, if you have the panel installed, you will need to get a smart meter to be installed so you can get your rebate...

during the waiting period, my meter actually went backward (negative usage)... I found out later that as long as your current bill's meter reading is greater than your last meter reading, Western Power/Synergy won't raise it as an issue if you still have an old meter.... unless, of course the meter reader reports it.... my July to Jan bill total less than $300 but then it came undone because I went on holiday and my power meter went negative too much and I was getting weird billings, so i had the smart meter installed....
        "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Anyone also have wind hooked up? are the mini turbines compatible with the std inverters?

Comment

I had a 5kw unit fitted 1 month before rebate change. Lost paperwork and when sent in was told although dates show unit was fitted XX/XX/2012 paperwork received after XX/XX/2012 had to be on new form and rebate only 8.3c/kw.

With my current usage I recently got a bill of $45 and that includes pool pump working 2 hrs a day and 2 fridges. Before solar my bills were only $150 and rebate on last bill was only $48 and that was with more feed in than consumption.

Comment

I had a really early system that was supposed to produce 1500W but instead only produces around 800w and did sweet FA
              I added another 1500w system and Im saving around $200 a bill
              sigpic

Comment

Good point whowalks, these things rarely produce the Kw's that they state. Our 1.9Kw system generally peaks out at 1.5-1.6Kw.
                Last edited by Far Q; 03-10-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

it all depends on your usage pattern too... if you have high power usage during the day, it's more worth while now to get a bigger system... so you have a high enough power generated to offset against the power usage at the same time. so you can't just think of it as a total each day (ie, Generatad 3 unit and used 2 unit does not always equal to 1 unit rebate) but as the over and under between what you generate vs usage over time.

the current setup is only beneficial if you have someone at home to use the electricity... if you used all what you have generated, it is an equivalent saving of 23c per unit... otherwise, you only get 8c (this is the old rate before the generously increase the rebate by a few % but offset by an increase of usage rates too)

But since my usage pattern is empty most of the day time during weekdays, I opted for the smart power rate which seems to work out slightly better for me to save a few more cents...
                  (but it does suck a little during the winter rates)

Comment

we have a 1.5kw system. i still reckon our ROI on the system is under 2 years, hopefully we can get another 7 or 8 after that before it falls apart and has to be replaced. totally unexpected is the saving on gas bills as we now use the reverse cycle ducted house aircon to do the heating as well during the day and our gas bill has halved, as you can also direct the heating to the rooms you want ( i work from home), not just at the gas points, such a better way to do it

im not interested in the rebate at all, just achieving roi and offsetting the bill
                    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Just got my Synergy power bill for the last 2 months and lowered my bill by 275 bucks .
                      This despite it been very cloudy over the period!
                      5.5 KW east, west panel arrangement.
                      My system has got a wifi "Power monitor" tablet integrated with it.
                      You can have it anywhere in the home, which makes using solar power, when you are generating it through the solar system, so easy!
                      And makes you aware of how you use electricity!
                      In the coming months it will be even better!
                      More and longer sunny days!
                      If we only save $250 per 2months bill period, that would mean a saving of $30.000 over 20 years without any power price increase!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                        Just got my Synergy power bill for the last 2 months and lowered my bill by 275 bucks .
                        You can have it anywhere in the home, which makes using solar power, when you are generating it through the solar system, so easy!
                        If we only save $250 per 2months bill period, that would mean a saving of $30.000 over 20 years without any power price increase!
                        how much did it cost you to install?
                        I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Organised it through a large national Solar wholesaler (factory warranty covered)
                          I can see the Carbontax driven solar rebate going very shortly and believed that now is the time to buy.
                          Once the legislation is through,( the large subsidy that makes the system worthwhile and economically very viable,) is scrapped, he price of these systems will skyrocket back up.
                          If we like it or not, solar power is all we have on this planet to power/fuel or existence.
                          Wind, wave, fossil is all because of the sun.
                          And electric power personal (city) transport is just around the corner.
                          Last edited by Jamathi; 06-10-2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamathi View Post
                            Who wsa it through mate?
                            Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

Comment

Originally posted by okitoki View Post
                              it all depends on your usage pattern too... if you have high power usage during the day, it's more worth while now to get a bigger system... so you have a high enough power generated to offset against the power usage at the same time. so you can't just think of it as a total each day (ie, Generatad 3 unit and used 2 unit does not always equal to 1 unit rebate) but as the over and under between what you generate vs usage over time.

the current setup is only beneficial if you have someone at home to use the electricity... if you used all what you have generated, it is an equivalent saving of 23c per unit... otherwise, you only get 8c (this is the old rate before the generously increase the rebate by a few % but offset by an increase of usage rates too)

But since my usage pattern is empty most of the day time during weekdays, I opted for the smart power rate which seems to work out slightly better for me to save a few more cents...
                              (but it does suck a little during the winter rates)
                              Ive got 2 teenage daughter and heaps Of tech stuff eg 5 odd computers etc also with pool pumps (thats the killer) and my house has 3.2m ceilings so it cost a lot to cool and heat
                              Any usage I save is good for me I actually had some go back into the grid with the last bill so that's a bit of a first for me LOL

When we have been on holidays our bills have been upto $300 less.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X