No announcement yet.

MrMWTK: How busy is your work/industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrMWTK: How busy is your work/industry?

How busy is your work at the moment?

I sell industrial spraypainting and abrasive blasting equipment and its quiet and it has been for the last few months, still turning over a profit but it could go a couple hours or more between phone calls or enquirys. Alot of the companies i go see from the small one man shows to the big 200+ employee businesses are quiet. A few mates in other industries are saying its quiet and not much happening.
    So where has all the work gone?
    B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

I work in the Residential Construction field.

Times are a-boomin'.

Low interest rates, builders being competitive and a lot of new land releases is leading to a lot of first home buyers getting in.

I work for a developer and we do multi-unit sites close to the city, and we sell most before we even begin construction, as at $300-$500k and within 10kms of the city, a 2x2 seems to be a good option for those not wanting to live in the outer new estates. Personally I wouldn't buy them, I prefer having a bit more space, but the they seem to be selling like hotcakes. Most to Chinese buyers wanting to put their kids up while they study.

Comment

Environmental consulting... Quiet as fuck. There's still work around but it's being picked up by the bigger players (which my company is not). So we're struggling fairly badly (maybe 3-5months before bankrupt), there's a hope that it will pick up next year but whether we're functioning or not is another question.
      Originally posted by CBRsairz
      assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
        How busy is your work at the moment?

I sell industrial spraypainting and abrasive blasting equipment and its quiet and it has been for the last few months, still turning over a profit but it could go a couple hours or more between phone calls or enquirys. Alot of the companies i go see from the small one man shows to the big 200+ employee businesses are quiet. A few mates in other industries are saying its quiet and not much happening.
        So where has all the work gone?
        We will all have custom made FE's for our bikes eh?

Comment

we provide mining info related services... dead as hell... first we lost all the junior clients because money dried up... now the big boys are cutting down because of cost cuttings... sucks...
          "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Flat out 12 hours a day during the week and even some weekend work...

Comment

Originally posted by Macca View Post
              Environmental consulting... Quiet as fuck. There's still work around but it's being picked up by the bigger players (which my company is not). So we're struggling fairly badly (maybe 3-5months before bankrupt), there's a hope that it will pick up next year but whether we're functioning or not is another question.
              i'm hearing this alot, there is a few big projects due to kick of early next year but the problem is alot of the players are not gonna last that long
              B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                ur really getting into this housewife role aren't you? complaining ur flat out all the time bet ur daughter sleeps 9hrs a day and u just watch daytime soaps
                B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Dangerous Goods (AN) Transport to the mines.. Heaps of work but we know it's getting quiet by the amount of sub-contractors that call begging for work. Also, there's a few snffing around work that's been 'ours' for sometime and, as such, we've really had to pick up our game.

Comment

Yeah, i'm also doing my masters currently, my boss is being really cool allowing me to work weekends/flexibly as needed so i can finish it but i don't see other companies being as flexible.

The biggest problem we have is that our market is the junior players and they've all either run out of money or are being cautious.

Edit: the competition for jobs has massively increased recently also, everyone is basically quoting at cost which makes it very hard
                    Originally posted by CBRsairz
                    assume nothing Macca, I've totally been cockblocked before :spiteful:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Mike View Post
                      ur really getting into this housewife role aren't you? complaining ur flat out all the time bet ur daughter sleeps 9hrs a day and u just watch daytime soaps
                      He's on call all day though

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                        same here ......

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

One of my jobs is going tickity-boo, although the industry is slowly dying there is lots of work as the pool of professionals involved slowly dry-up.

The other one has really slowed up in the past 12 months as the technology around what we do (telephony) is changing rapidly and this is having a negative effect on our business.
                          Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                          Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

I work for a big company, doing a job for another very big company.

It's not so much cost cutting, as it is a late realization that the ROI of the last - I dunno, decade maybe - just hasn't been sustainable. You can't pay entire groups of the moderately retarded $120,000pa to sit and warm a chair in the middle of a dust-pit without them returning something serious. You can't just continually bump the imagined value of your product up for Chinese buyers simply because you overpaid your workforce and they feel entitled to their third jet-ski and a mortgaged-to-the-hilt lifestyle.

Get used to it.

**edit: What I am saying is obviously mostly related to heavy industry and primary producers. My day-job is going just fine, have plenty of work on but I only take on what I am comfortable to do so. This is just a job, and I'm determined to not allow it into my personal time as much so long as I can avoid it.
                            such comment
                            wow
                            many post

Comment

Originally posted by Manyak View Post
                              Dangerous Goods (AN) Transport to the mines.. Heaps of work but we know it's getting quiet by the amount of sub-contractors that call begging for work. Also, there's a few snffing around work that's been 'ours' for sometime and, as such, we've really had to pick up our game.
                              Im always busy, No shortage of customers in my field of work, never will be as long as man is around.
                              2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
                              2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
                              2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
                              2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
                              2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
                              2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Working...
                              X