Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWTK: Double glazing

Hey all,
    We are looking at getting double glazing and looking to hear the experiences of people who have had it installed in their house. Did it keep out the noise and heat? Reasonably costed?
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know as well.

Cheers

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Reduce noise - yes
    Reduce heat - yes
    Expensive - yes
    Will reduce running costs - yes

The PVC system has been stabilised for Australian conditions, and dose not transfer heat through the frame.

The aluminium system in Australia dose not have a thermal break, and will transfer heat through the frame to the inside of the building.

The glass in the double glazed unit should be two different thicknesses , so that the sound waves can not reverb on the glass.
    Can also be filled with argon gas to reduce heat transfer.

Things to keep in mind when the salesman calls
    Even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day

Comment

Parents had the PVC type installed for 15 years without any dramas. Definitely a massive improvement all round and worth every cent IMO
      Ryan

Originally posted by Aufitt
      Try Para045, he definitely sounds all gooey in the fork for ya

Comment

The difference is huge.

I don't think it's a requirement in the building code in WA, but it certainly should be.

The most obvious benefits are sound and heat retention. No double it helps a lot during summer too but it is most noticeable in winter.

I'm not up to date with current costings in WA.

Comment

Double glazing is very expensive but in the long term yes it does work with saving heat and noise.
          If its just heat you can get a filmed glass that keeps heat out
          You can also get filmed glass called 'low E' or 'comfort plus' on double glazed to further reduce heat.
          Filmed glass is roughly double the cost of standard glass
          If its during the building process then its easier but if its an addition then you will need to replace all your window frames with double glazing frames
          Hello

Comment

Agree with all posts above.

I have Deceuinick "zendow" uPVC window frames & double glazing.
            6mm outer low-e glass to filter & reflect UV & heat.
            4mm comfort glass on the inside to keep warmth in during winter.

Definitely awesome for sound insulation (if 2 different thickness glass panels), and heat transfer, provided it is system with a thermally insulated frame & propper sealing window.
            Tilt/turn etc are great as the locking mechanism pulls the seal tight. Standard sliding windows - generally have a pretty poor seal & defeat the purpose.

I live near a railway line (like 60m away!) and trains are fairly annoying with the window open, but when shut, you can't really hear them, unless its pin-drop quiet at night)

That said - if you are talking heat insulation - an uninsulated double brick wall is going to undo some of the benefit of double glazing. Energy efficiency has to be done holistically, otherwise one poor aspect can undo the rest of the efforts.

Like most things - best (cheapest) done in a new build rather than trying to retrofit.
            Price wise - Can be ridiculously marked up. I ended up paying a little under double the quote for single pane, aluminium frame - but some quotes were more than triple.
            (glazing quotes for my house build were: $33K jason single glazed/ali frame. One double glazing quote was $94K without installation! Ended up paying ~$65K installed)

Yesterday my in-laws who live nearby said they had their aircon on most of the day. We didn't need it on at all.

That said - I highly recommend staying away from the WA supplier (Durisol) who doesn't use the deceunick Australian manufacturered windows. Imported from Turkey instead to reduce the price. Lead time is long, but worse than that is the woeful local service & support. (The head guy can BS his way through a five acre organic garden, but when it comes to the reality...)

My mother had a different local uPVC installer retrofit some doors and windows on her double brick place in the hills & she was very happy with them. (cant remember the name, but can ask if you care.)

Comment

The only issue with double glazing in Australia is the price most people wont pay the extra money. And in my opinion they are over priced.
              If the government was serious about reducing energy use, they would of made DG compulsory on all new houses, along with solar panels. But this would reduce their revenue stream.

I manufactured DG windows for ten years, if I thought there was a good customer base to supply I would do it,
              But give someone the option between a $500 window over a $1200 one. You know what they are going to take.

Comment

The best part with pricing is that I can buy a near on identical size window in the equivalent to bunnings in Germany for a fraction of the prize of a single pane one here...in triple glazing...
                SP RACINGis supported by:
                MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
                  The best part with pricing is that I can buy a near on identical size window in the equivalent to bunnings in Germany for a fraction of the prize of a single pane one here...in triple glazing...
                  Yep similar here in NZ. Double glazing is part of the building code so every new build has it. It's common and therefore relatively well priced.

Comment

If you wish I can get a glass cost list to scare you away a bit more
                    Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Algy View Post
                      If you wish I can get a glass cost list to scare you away a bit more
                      A lot of glass is being imported from China now due to the high local costs.

Comment

Originally posted by 180 View Post
                        A lot of glass is being imported from China now due to the high local costs.
                        Which is ok if you can afford to wait 2 months for it
                        Hello

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=6979]xphread[/MENTION] would be keen on hearing who she used.

Comment

Sentry, it was Perth Double Glazing... Perth Double Glazing

But she might have another contact who is a builder/tradie who can get double glazing from another source and install them.... waiting on that info...

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=6979]xphread[/MENTION] , appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X