Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFWTK can all jobs be made 100% safe

OK safe work people,

The other week I required an apprentice mechanic to demonstrate his skill in working on suspension systems.
    I had him replace some control arms on an old BMW. To remove the ball joints he had to use a hammer HARD.
    After the fourth hard smack, he decided to hit his own hand, so hard that I cringed and grabbed my own hand in sympathy.

I went through a test run of what he did, and really cant change the procedure to make it safer, even in retrospect.

It it acceptable that some jobs have little margin for error and are inherently hazardous?

Or should I be retrained so I can better assess the hazards, and intervene with enhanced procedures before I injure more workers?

PS; it was just a bruise, but it would have hurt.
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
    The other week I required an apprentice mechanic to demonstrate his skill in working on suspension systems.
    I think he demonstrated his skill level quite accurately... best he learn this lesson himself with minor consequences rather than be wrapped in cotton wool until something major goes wrong. That's if he learns from it.

For more on HSE see this thread...

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ttgatt-166799/
    Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Nope were are human we will always find ways to fuck things up

Comment

as long as there is any human intervention any job done by a human will never be 100% safe. Example, we had BP safety inspectors come thru work the other week as there had been an incident down the refinery where some one using an abrasive blasting cabinet had cut thru the rubber glove with the nozzle and sand blasted their hand slightly. So we fired up our demo machine and tested how long it would take for you to blast thru the rubber glove. 35sec using steel grit so that means this operator would of held the nozzle on his glove for 35 seconds waiting for something to happed.

People are stupid.
        B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post

For more on HSE see this thread...

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ttgatt-166799/
          I was going to put this in that thread, but didn't want to derail it.

Comment

you did it safely, you got someone else to use the hammer

Comment

OK safe work people,

I had him replace some control arms on an old BMW. To remove the ball joints he had to use a hammer HARD.
              After the fourth hard smack, he decided to hit his own hand, so hard that I cringed and grabbed my own hand in sympathy.

I went through a test run of what he did, and really cant change the procedure to make it safer, even in retrospect.

It it acceptable that some jobs have little margin for error and are inherently hazardous?

Or should I be retrained so I can better assess the hazards, and intervene with enhanced procedures before I injure more workers?

PS; it was just a bruise, but it would have hurt.
              Yep, you can make it safe...

You design and manufacture a tool to do the job safely and use another person to help if required...

Comment

the inherent risks are the reason we get paid for having acquired the skills to complete the tasks.

you point out the risks, they attempt the job and learn to work around those risks, occasionally they will receive injuries, if they're minor injuries then you're doing your job adequately.

if any monkey could do it without risk of injury it wouldn't require an apprenticeship.
                Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich... View Post
                  Yep, you can make it safe...

You design and manufacture a tool to do the job safely and use another person to help if required...
                  Customer just decided our labor costing was non viable and we didn't get the job.

Comment

You can make things safe to a degree, but someone determined to take short-cuts and hurt themselves will manage to find a way to do it.

You only need to look at traffic light accidents for an example of how controls put in place to try and eliminate accidents due to retardation are no always effective.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Customer just decided our labor costing was non viable and we didn't get the job.
                      Your worker just lost his hand and your insurance premiums just went up...

Comment

relevant?
                        BHP Extreme Safety - YouTube
                        B19 Oakford V.B.F.S

Comment

I would expect premiums to go down 1 less arm to cover

Comment

And that is why this thread should be interesting.

Comment

Here's the kicker...

We used to always make tools to make the job easier and safer...

Then some fuckwit safety person decided all tools have to be engineered and passed...

So now you can't just go and knock up what you need, even though that is what we are trained to do...

So we are back to square one of either risking it, that's a no no, or standing around scratching our arse...

Comment

Working...
                              X