Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWTK: Removing Laundry Sink (and other fun stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWTK: Removing Laundry Sink (and other fun stuff)

Well seeing my last project of installing a stand alone kitchen bench was a success thanks to many of you here, I thought I would consult the PSB brains trust once again.
    To install said kitchen bench, we needed to make some room, so I moved the fridge into the laundry. At the moment our washing machine is located in front of a sliding door that we do not use but would like to move the washing machine to a more permanent location. This is where it becomes fun.
    I would like to remove the laundry sink altogether and place the washing machine in it's place.
    Now, the only thing we use the sink for is to drain the washing machine into, so I know that I would need to utilise the existing "drain" for washing mashine water.
    Instead of trying to explain myself, I'll let the pictures (and my funky drawing) do the talking...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My plan was to place the washing machine on something similar to a "skid" to give the underneath a bit of clearance, so I can run a pipe from the drain, along the floor to the corner and up to a certain height where the washing machine outlet will slot into. I'm assuming that I would need to have a "P" or "S" trap for odours ?
    Is this a monumental task, or am I just working myself up ???
    "Farewell, shitty day, don't forget to fuck thyself on the way out"

Could you include a photo of the drain piping from inside the sink cupboard?

Looks easy enough to do tho, and I'll try to think of a way to explain my thoughts via words in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by adam03957 View Post
      Could you include a photo of the drain piping from inside the sink cupboard?

Looks easy enough to do tho, and I'll try to think of a way to explain my thoughts via words in the mean time.
      I'll see if the missus can send one to me today, if not I will do it tonight when I get home.

Comment

the sink may drain into the wall. If so you might have some fuckabouting to do. Otherwise if its a floor drain you could build up the floor a bit (kinda like the bottom bit of your kitchen cupboards) to accommodate the plumbing for the drain hose. you can get things to block off your hot and cold taps so you can tile over them if you wanted or build a small box to enclose them and use as your washing powder shelf or something.
        Not too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sentient View Post
          the sink may drain into the wall. If so you might have some fuckabouting to do. Otherwise if its a floor drain you could build up the floor a bit (kinda like the bottom bit of your kitchen cupboards) to accommodate the plumbing for the drain hose. you can get things to block off your hot and cold taps so you can tile over them if you wanted or build a small box to enclose them and use as your washing powder shelf or something.
          Not too hard.
          Doh ! Didn't even think of the location of the drain, I just assumed it would be in the floor. (Hence my drawing) Just spoke to the missus who will take a pic and send it later this morning.
          Taps will be easy, once water is off, just remove and place caps on them.

Comment

ok, the drain goes to the floor, have a pic on my phone but it is playing silly buggers and will not send to my desktop, will try again later.

Pic as promised (not the greatest as it does not show the bottom of it but you get the gist)

[IMG][/IMG]
            Last edited by waikiki; 14-11-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Easy,

Fit elbow at floor level point at wall,

Mount vertical pipe at wall

Ensure a fall of 1:40 (Down 1cm for ever 40 cm long) this makes it a nice self cleaning pipe.

At wall mount a trap or when fitting the drain hose to the wall drain form the s shape.

Raise the floor level i.e. blocks of wood.. or If you want to be stylish, find a free kitchen cabinet with legs. Use some blocks of wood inside to add support and sit machine on that, that way you can even use a front board that clips to the legs and look real fancy.

your water piping should be at the wall as well and tap straight into that for the supply to the washing machine.

will try to do a sketch in paint or something.

Comment

Please refer to the instructional video below for the best way to do it.

My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

as has been stated....make a false floor for the washing machine to sit on....run a waste pipe up the wall but allow the pipe going to drain a small angle rather than horizontal and will also help to flush when used....hint...do seal the top of the pipe to the washing machine waste pipe as it will build up a suction or air lock and put some back pressure into the washing machine....the best material to use is the aquatite flooring from bunnings at about $40 and it is paintable but waterproof and strong....this way the little mishaps from time to time in the laundry wont rot the false floor but also leave some seepage holes in false floor front kick board to allow water to flow to other floor waste incase of an unexpected issues....
                  A site all parents should check regulary
                  http://www.mako.org.au/temp_a.html

(+)

Comment

It's a trap...

Comment

Cheers guys , once again I put too much thought into these things which leads me to believe it's a massive task , yet turns out to be a relatively simple job.
                      Once again, thanks.

Ps. Please don't stop posting if you have anymore tips as they are more than appreciated.

Comment

2 points
                        1 . the higher up you can get your washing machine the easier it will be on your back loading & unloading

2. washing machines are heavy and vibrate, so make sure whatever base you use is up for the job.(and probably fixed to the wall)
                        Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

No comment
                          RIP
                          RYAD
                          RIP
                          🌹

Comment

Working...
                          X