HWTK Opiates and memory side effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWTK Opiates and memory side effects

I am currently on Oxycodone for pain as a result of a trauma injury and surgery a few days ago.

I have noticed that i have extreme difficulties with memory recall. For example, to test myself I pulled up a search on google images for hollywood stars and whilst i recognise all the faces i could hardly name any of them. I had to actually check the image to see the name, then a DUH moment followed by quickly forgetting again.

I understand that these drugs supress neural pathways, perhaps that includes memory recall.

I assume the effects are temporary, or maybe i have just gone senile

Anyone here had anything similar?

I think you should give all your drugs to me as a precaution.

I've never had it myself.
    You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Some get high to forget, some forget they got high.
      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Had a mate on it for a while after his bike accident, he had bad memory loss around the immediate crash, then rest of memory came good but the oxy did seem to make him forget things.
        Originally posted by Abuse this
        Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

I was on it for a few weeks and I don't think it made my memory recall any worse than it already was.

All the best mate.

Comment

Tagging [MENTION=22380]Hooligan[/MENTION]

Probably forgot about his own thread lol ^_^
            RAM MOTOSPORT ZX10 RR#191

Comment

Ha be thankful that's all it is.

I still wake up some days thinking it was nearly 5 years ago. Get a hell of a fright waking up in a different room etc etc
              Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

From previous experience Oxy post surgery is at a pretty high dosage that can remain so depending on the surgery and trauma involved plus the patients tolerance to pain levels.

I was given 2 when I woke the next morning from some emergency surgery the previous night.The wife was out shopping to grab some bits that I would need.

Somehow I found my phone and called her. Apparently I was rambling and nodding off to sleep , then reawakening to resume the rambling. Can't remember a bloody thing , and had bugger all memory for about a month.

I am hypersensitive to pain medication , but Oxycodone has a massively fun time when it is my system. I suspect that Hooligan is recovering from the Oxy AND the Anethstetic effects , of which can last some patients for may weeks.

Enjoy it while you can mate , the real world isn't half as amusing when your brain realises what has happened.
                Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Does this make you an Oxy Moron?

Comment

Had a mate on it for a while after his bike accident, he had bad memory loss around the immediate crash, then rest of memory came good but the oxy did seem to make him forget things.
                    Originally posted by Abuse this
                    Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                      I am currently on Oxycodone for pain as a result of a trauma injury and surgery a few days ago.

I have noticed that i have extreme difficulties with memory recall. For example, to test myself I pulled up a search on google images for hollywood stars and whilst i recognise all the faces i could hardly name any of them. I had to actually check the image to see the name, then a DUH moment followed by quickly forgetting again.

I understand that these drugs supress neural pathways, perhaps that includes memory recall.

I assume the effects are temporary, or maybe i have just gone senile

Anyone here had anything similar?
                      I had orthopedic internal fixation surgery last Thursday to put my Tibia back together at the ankle joint. I have a nice shiny plate and a bunch of screws made from Unobtanium.

In recovery I was given a shot of Morphine immediately and the throbbing pain just stopped in it's tracks. Back on the ward a bit later on I was given Oxycodone. I tell you what it's great stuff. I felt so relaxed and absolutely no pain. The Nurses gave me Oxy three times during the two day stay at St John of Gods in Subiaco. They sent me home with a box of the Oxycodone and Tramadol and said to only use it if the pain can't be controlled with Panadol. Tramadol is a narcotic and also a pleasant sensation.

I can't say I've noticed any unusual memory issues but I have not been using it constantly. I'm going to take it every now and then anyway as it makes me feel so peaceful. I might as well enjoy it while I'm laid up with a bloody great cast on my right leg.

I'm finding the pain I have is minimal and easily controlled with Panadol every four hours even though I had quite invasive major internal fixation.

Oxycodone is the drug a certain ex Eagles player was abusing. I can see why as it's certainly a nice feeling when you take it.
                      I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                      2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMeanie View Post
                        Does this make you an Oxy Moron?
                        Yep , and you wave your hands in the air like you just don't care as well!
                        Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

In my experience, yes, opiate pain killers affect memory fairly severely. For me I would have to try much harder to get things to stick to memory, and then try much much harder to find the piece of information in my brain later on. Not good when going through exams.

I just put it down to that fogginess that you feel and a lack of proper focus. You can be doing something and thinking about it but not really all there. Applies to all areas, driving, studying, relationships. I wouldn't stress about it, it will go back to normal when you stop taking them.

One thing to be wary of, they cause constipation. Someone I know had been abusing them for about a year (maybe more) and his bowel recently ruptured due to all the built up crap in there. Had to get emergency surgery and now has a potentially life-long colostomy bag. So if you're taking a lot, or finding it hard to go to the toilet, talk to your doctor about taking a laxative. Prunes and stuff work too.

Comment

^colostomy bag seriously ain't fun btw

To help minimise chance of bowel blockage (again that wasn't fun either) there was a sweet syrup can have once a day which helps prevent blockages.

Have a chat to your local chemist and should be able to point you in the right direction
                            Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                              No perhaps about it. Oxycodone is some serious shit. Be careful with it over any long term period (although obviously your doctor will be on top of that with you).
                              such comment
                              wow
                              many post

Comment

Working...
                              X