Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CWTK: Changing uni and changing course

Hey guys,

I've had an absolutely shocking year academic wise, I lost the passion in what I'm studying (electrical eng) and so everything has slipped downhill from there. This semester won't be any different and will definitely be apparent in my results. Basically, I don't have the same interest in electrical engineering as I did before I did core units. I've always wanted to do mechanical engineering but Murdoch doesn't offer it.

Would it be easy for me to switch to Curtin, for example, and pick up Mech engineering with credit to previous units? Is there a reason why I should stick to electrical over mechanical?

Does a terrible year mean a lot to future employers? This year I've basically been finding out what I've really wanted to do in life. I've been working in the mean time and while I had my 'dream job' (pet store), it made me realise that in the end there isn't much to it above and beyond, unfortunately I found out far too late in the semester to pick things up. And only now being in the middle of exams has it really started to hit me.

I'm interested in stories and personal experience of who has been in the same boat. I.e., Had a rocky stat to uni and ended up doing a big sea change to what they actually enjoyed.

Cheers,

edit: should probably add I'm in second year

If you have passed two subjects at any aussie uni, you can easily switch over. (ive been to three different unis and studied firstly murdoch power, curtin mech and finally deakin civil)

employees (unless your going for high tier chevron etc) jobs don't mind about your score as long as you pass.

keep in mind for honours (your engineering for instance)

1st year, 10%
    2nd year, 20%
    3rd year, 30%
    4th year, 40%

then you get a grade based on your % pass and iirc 65%? is honours 2nd class, 75%is honours 1st class

dont stress man, life happens

TLR

it all matters about your first job
    Originally posted by Rich...
    You got me in trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by Sookie View Post
      If you have passed two subjects at any aussie uni, you can easily switch over. (ive been to three different unis and studied firstly murdoch power, curtin mech and finally deakin civil)

employees (unless your going for high tier chevron etc) jobs don't mind about your score as long as you pass.

keep in mind for honours (your engineering for instance)

1st year, 10%
      2nd year, 20%
      3rd year, 30%
      4th year, 40%

then you get a grade based on your % pass and iirc 65%? is honours 2nd class, 75%is honours 1st class

dont stress man, life happens

TLR

it all matters about your first job
      Honours calc changes from next semester, for Curtin anyway.
      Now you must achieve a minimum course average of 65% in the first 3 years to be eligible to get honours. Your level of honours is then calculated as follows:

50% weighting 4th year units excluding thesis
      50% weighting on thesis

65% - 70% average of the two above gets you third class
      70% - 80% gets you 2nd class
      >80% gets you first.
      If I had gone in on the new system I would of easily made 2nd class honours instead of just missing out by using the old system...
      Last edited by Wedge; 18-11-2013, 10:58 PM.
      :stupid:

Comment

You've had a bad year. Fine.

Either be a pissy whining little bitch and completely give up, go get a job as a Dominos delivery driver for the rest of your life. Or get back in there and finish what you started.

Jumping Uni to do much the same degree but "easier" is being a pissy whining little bitch without being able to admit that you're being a pissy whining little bitch. Everyone - including prospective employers - can see that you're trying to avoid putting in the hard yards. How do you reckon that will look? And, if you're prepared to accept failure at the current Uni you're already in the mindset where I'll nearly guarantee you fail at the next uni, too.

I had a shit semester with a lot of full year units. I ended up withdrawing for the year, working for six months in a crappy job and getting back in there. One question which never came up in an interview was "I thought Engineering was a four year degree?" so it won't hurt you down the track.

Fix what's broken dude - hint, it ain't the uni - and have another crack.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Most employers will not care too much about your grades in the first couple of years, getting a good first job is more about who you know and how well you interact with recruiters and such. I graduated with a total weighted course average of 56.5% but had already picked up a job and been working full-time for the last 18 months of my degree.

Both electrical and mechanical eng just sound like torture to me - I ended up doing civil/offshore. If I was in your position I would be looking at Petroleum/Oil&Gas myself but obviously it is better to do something you are interested in - just be wary of what you are likely to actually be employed doing once you graduate. You may be interested in car/motor/complex machinery development but the only jobs you can find as a mech eng may be in air-con fin/duct design, heat transfer pumps or something equally as boring in comparison to what you dreamed of.

I had a pretty bad start to uni and failed a few units in my first 18 months, so switched down to 3 units for a while (from 4) and things became infinitely easier - then once I started getting better results eventually bumped it back up to 4 units.

Comment

if you were academic enough to get into electrical engineering i expect you should be able to drop down to mechanical ;-)

talk to your course coordinators, they will know the in's and outs i expect your performance so far will have bearing on your options but unless you are doing medicine iirc you can get a second chance. people fail for all sorts of reasons not just because of incompetence, will look better on your academic record if you replace a failure with a high distinction on the repeat if you take my meaning.
            Originally posted by Bendito
            If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Do whatever you enjoy most.

I quit uni before even showing up, because after slugging it out at school I just didn't want to study anymore for a while.

Did an apprenticeship, got my mojo back, and started studying again at nights after a couple of years.

In the long run I made the best decision, as I am fairly sure I wouldn't have made it through my first year at the time as I probably just wasn't mature enough.

Comment

I'm doing civil and was required to do electrical units at the start as core units, they were my least enjoyable units, I have friends doing mechanical and a lot of the units overlap with electrical, obviously not all but I think there will still be considerable difficulty with mechanical units in the future. As for motivation just think about the deniro you will be earning when you finish, nothing wrong with doing just 3 units for a few semesters till you get back into it, I also found that when I have motivated friends around I'm more inclined to study harder and put more effort in

Comment

If you're switching unis, it's worthwhile checking with the new one how much advanced standing you'll get for units you've already completed.
                  At this late stage (exams), if you withdraw from units, you'll record both a fail + the fees incurred. The only way to get the fails removed from your record is if you get something like counsellor's recommendation (or medical reasons) to be withdrawn without academic penalty. Each uni will have its own policy for that. It'll show up as a withdrawn but no grade and it won't affect your overall GPA.

It's not unusual to lose interest and have it affect your grades and imo, there's no point charging ahead with something you're not going to be interested in.
                  However, it's also quite pointless to have too varied an interest and always be switching. Eventually, you'll take the easy way out and keep switching.
                  My advice is to focus, make a choice and stick with it until the end. If you have other interests, do it on the side; as a hobby; as a career choice..but finish what you've started.

Employer-wise, Stevo's hit the nail on the head. The best way to get a job is to start looking at interships, holiday/summer programs while you're still studying to get your leg in the door.
                  Once they see your capabilities in the workplace, the grades come second place (as long as you don't fail when they require a pass). It's really the networks that matter most.

The only time I've seen grades matter is if you're applying for the top tier firms in consulting & banking (yes, they take engineers too) where they're often looking for GPA's in the >3.5/4.0 category, so again... it's cumulative, not based on just one semester.

Comment

People underestimate the jump from first year eng to second year and third year eng. I couldn't handle it and changed from electronic, to mechanical and then to civil before I finally pulled the pin after many failed unit and an expensive hecs bill. I used some of my units towards my teaching degree which shaved just under a year off the course and set me up with my maths minor. I chose a humanities based course and major in history because all the maths and physics were too overwhelming for me. I am now more employable at schools because of my engineering background due to engineering as an ATAR subject coming about, even though I only passed first year and a few second year units.

Comment

Those of us who have done it don't underestimate it.

Yes, it's hard. Guess what: so's life.

For most people the hardest part is all of a sudden you're in an educational institution that gives exactly zero fucks whether you pass or not. For most people, they work through first year just out of habit from school but, by second year, they discover that they don't get detention for not doing their homework. They get to midyears having done no work and discover the consequences. But the tendency these days is to blame everything but me for my fuckup and so begins the bleating "This course is stupid hard, this institution is a Nazi camp, blah blah blah".

No.

If you had the TAE/TEE/WACE/ATAR/Whateverthefuckitisnow to get into the course and the right subjects, your brain is capable of doing the work.

After that? It's a question of priorities - study before EVERYTHING else dummy, it's your job for the next X years. Turning up to everything and doing the work early instead of at the last minute is important. Hanging out at the tav or the ref or on the oval with your mates doesn't help you succeed at uni. Nor does trying to work three casual jobs at the same time.

End of the day, you can finish the course and do.

Or hell, you can give up and instead, teach. Or sling burgers, whatever: you have given up, you have failed.

If it seems like I'm being harsh it's because I am - but I've been through it myself and mollycoddling my ego would have been the worst possible ever response. A kick in the arse was what I needed, not fuel for my sense of entitlement.

You've set a goal, that's great. The fact you've made it this far is a clear sign that you're capable of getting through the whole degree. The only thing stopping you is you!
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Working...
                      X