No announcement yet.

bwtk - why is my bike hard to push ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwtk - why is my bike hard to push ...

when in gear but with the clutch in...

but easy to push when in neutral???

thanks
    We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off - Fight Club

Depends how heavy...

Clutch could need adjustment to stop it dragging.

Will be slightly heavier anyway because it's turning more stuff.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

im assuming you mean with the engine off

motorbikes have a wet clutch
      this requires oil flow to help disengage so there is extra drag when engine is not running

whereas neutral is effectively a disengaged gear
      Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

The Mrs has a little VL250 Suzuki ( never rides it ) in the garage. When its cold and the oil is thick and everything is cold you can push it with clutch in and the rear wheel will just slide rather than turn. Neutral is easy as. Once things get warm it pushes easy.

Just the nature of a wet clutch.
        The Bend

Hurry Up!!!

Comment

Why push it in gear with the clutch in? ride it
          Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

maybe cause you have the front break engaged and not the clutch
            Originally posted by Rich...
            You got me in trouble...

Comment

Clutch disconnects the gearbox/chain/wheel from the engine.

Neutral disconnects the clutch and front half of the gearbox from the back half of the gearbox, chain & wheel.

Low gear is an RPM "step down" from engine to chain. But that means it's a step up the other way around. Ever used a handbeater or a salad spinner, where it takes a bit of effort to turn the crank and to get the driven side up and boogying but the other way around (turn the fast side and watch the slow side go slowly) is easy? Same same.

In neutral you're not trying to turn the fast bit which is in turn trying to push half the clutch through oil. You're just spinning the back half of the gearbox which is easy.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Thanks Guys, I was hoping it might be something like that.

I will try pushing it when it is in a high gear and see if that makes a difference.

I notice it when I push the bike from the driveway into the garage at night.

cheers
                We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off - Fight Club

Comment

your clutch needs adjusting.

try it at the lever first.

the down near the clutch cover if that doesnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by b1ackmai1er View Post
                    Thanks Guys, I was hoping it might be something like that.

I will try pushing it when it is in a high gear and see if that makes a difference.

I notice it when I push the bike from the driveway into the garage at night.

cheers

Why would you try clicking it up through a few gears to try it in a higher gear? Just put the bloody thing in neutral....

Comment

Originally posted by Sean'o View Post
                      Why would you try clicking it up through a few gears to try it in a higher gear? Just put the bloody thing in neutral....
                      Because humans are curious beings.

Comment

try neutral
                        REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                        (anarchy in english )

Comment

I realize I can put in neutral I was just want to know why and if there was anything wrong. I don't remember my Yamaha xs250 being like this 20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X