Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sell a bike

Folks, need some help.

Looking to sell my bike, its currently un-insured with rego. What is the best way to safe guard against joy riders and road test insurance issues and yet provide an opportunity for genuine buyers to view with satisfaction?

Thanks in advance ...

Ben

Insurance... Most insurance companies offer a cooling off period of 30 days, so after it's sold just cancel the insurance. Besides... A month or two of insurance isn't going to set you back much $'s
    www.brandsense.com.au
    sigpic

Comment

I was under the impression that only named rider can claim in the event of an accident?

Does any insurance company provide cover for selling purposes?

Comment

My insurance is for multipul riders , but also talk about selling to insurance companys
        some wont cover you for test riders .
        its a bit of a mine feild really.
        REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
        (anarchy in english )

Comment

Apart from trying to find an insurer to cover bike testing, would it be a better idea to pay a workshop to service the bike and perform a comprehensive check? Once done, state clearly no tester, queries direct to the workshop?

What do you folks reckon? Trying to find a fuss free way to sell which provides a piece of mind to the buyer and me not having to worry about the issues associated with selling.

Comment

Originally posted by VULGR View Post
            Insurance... Most insurance companies offer a cooling off period of 30 days, so after it's sold just cancel the insurance. Besides... A month or two of insurance isn't going to set you back much $'s
            I'd be making sure your insurance covers theft during test rides.

I know of someone who had an insurance claim denied on his car because he left it parked in airport parking and it wasn't there when he returned (FIFO, they claimed he didn't tell them the correct garaging address and thus his insurance was void - or some shit like that).

If you're handing somebody the keys.... we'll, i'd be checking your policy. Not worth getting insurance for sale purposes if it isn't going to cover you anyway.

My suggestions would be to meet the buyer somewhere NOT at your house, obtain a driver's license with photo ID to hold before handing over the keys, and only have a few litres of fuel in the tank, so any runners will be short lived.

edit:
            and +1 to a chase bike.
            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

If they want it inspected they can bring a mechanic,
              Get the prospective byer to give a desent sum of money for you to hold whilst they go for said test ride, and I mean desent , thousands mate.
              Meet at a servo (they have cammeras) and only have a couple of liters in the bike.
              If you can , have a mate (that can ride well) on a chase bike, full of fuel.
              Look at the licence of the byer/ test rider, also take a photo with your phone of the person.

If you in any way sus of the people you meet, just ride away.
              Never give your adress out.
              NEVER
              REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
              (anarchy in english )

Comment

How does bike yard sells their second hand bikes? Do they allow for test rides?

Comment

Originally posted by rsoption View Post
                  How does bike yard sells their second hand bikes? Do they allow for test rides?
                  To test ride a shop bike you need to provide credit card details (? memory hazy, it's been a few years), drivers license, etc.

It works out to be about a $3,500 deposit (also payable if you break it )
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

3.5K is cheap if someone were to test ride a Ducati and slide! If those are the only safe guards, i wonder how much insurance premiums do bike shops pay annually.

Comment

3.5K is cheap if someone were to test ride a Ducati and slide! If those are the only safe guards, i wonder how much insurance premiums do bike shops pay annually.
                      The 3.5 covers the excess. If you were to do a runner, well, they have your drivers license, signed paperwork, etc. and will no doubt prosecute as well.

Comment

This is a tacky one. What am i comfortable with, without having geniune buyers thinking I'm messing around with them.

Comment

This is a tacky one. What am i comfortable with, without having geniune buyers thinking I'm messing around with them.
                          If they think you're "messing around with them" they aren't a serious buyer and can fuck right off.

2c.

Comment

They can ride it after they've given the amount in full and the transfer papers are filled out,
                            signature when they come back.

NO exceptions, and ive sold a shitload of bikes,

*and also would not expect to ride someones bike unless they were VERY good mates (or one of the shops and I pay 3k excess anyway)

Comment

I'm fairly sure Aami comprehensive covers the bike when selling provided you have made "reasonable" effort to avoid it being stolen... I.e contact number and drivers license and they cover all licensed riders. Can't comment on others but worth a look
                              www.brandsense.com.au
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X