Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TTPMWTK: rental property managers advice please?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TTPMWTK: rental property managers advice please?

    My situation is becoming urgent as the new owner of the Kalamunda house now wants to move in at Christmas instead of mid jan as previously arranged.
    I have several applications in including one that I REALLY want, decision pending today.
    Is there anything I can do or say which will give me an advantage?
    I've already offered slightly higher rent than asking plus a higher pet bond than asked coz Floyd seems to be an obstacle and I know I can trust him.
    I've also told them I'm ready to go immediately as they're looking for someone to take it before Christmas.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    As the owner of a couple of rentals, one of which I just rented out, I can say there are a lot of good people out there looking for houses at the moment.
    As for advice, keep trying, there is no magical formula to get a rental.
    Offering more is always good, importantly have good references especially from real estate agents they are not allowed to bullshit about tenant references or it can come back on them.
    Good luck ^_^

    Comment


    • #3
      My current (5 year) rental is private so the owner is my only reference, I still own part equity in the house my ex wife wanted to herself.
      At this stage I might be spending Christmas in the van

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not sure but i don't think the owner can just change dates like that without notice.

        Fairly sure a certain amount of weeks notice is required before ending a tenants lease agreement.

        Assuming you are a good tenant that pay's on time and looks after the place.

        Good luck though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Awkward situation. Owner and I get on really well. He took the property back from an agent and let me have it for $200/week less than market because he wanted me in it.
          Their daughter is now "buying" it, at first she had to sell her place (not even on market yet) but has now decided she wants to move in then sell hers.
          I'm trying to do the right thing as they've been good to me and I feel sorry for the dad caught in the middle.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by scotch View Post
            I'm not sure but i don't think the owner can just change dates like that without notice.

            Fairly sure a certain amount of weeks notice is required before ending a tenants lease agreement.

            Assuming you are a good tenant that pay's on time and looks after the place.

            Good luck though.

            Pretty sure either party have to give 4 weeks notice if no lease agreement, or end of the lease if there is one. Gets messy if either party is breaking a lease.

            Just getting this confirmed...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tim the pool man View Post
              My current (5 year) rental is private so the owner is my only reference, I still own part equity in the house my ex wife wanted to herself.
              At this stage I might be spending Christmas in the van
              There are lease obligations on both sides - the private arrangement would seem to have been based on goodwill which will hopefully get you a reference.

              Most agents would be looking at employment history and rental references before they present to the owners, which can make it seem like jumping through hoops. I got my Mackay property rented (in a currently poor market due to GFC effects on mining etc) because I instructed the agent to make it clear it was a pet-friendly lease.

              If you get stuck, my Mum should be in her new place before Christmas and so a house in Dianella will be free for a time - feel free to PM

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow. Thanks [MENTION=17857]Skut[/MENTION].
                I'll let you know either way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tim the pool man View Post
                  My situation is becoming urgent as the new owner of the Kalamunda house now wants to move in at Christmas instead of mid jan as previously arranged.
                  I have several applications in including one that I REALLY want, decision pending today.
                  Is there anything I can do or say which will give me an advantage?
                  I've already offered slightly higher rent than asking plus a higher pet bond than asked coz Floyd seems to be an obstacle and I know I can trust him.
                  I've also told them I'm ready to go immediately as they're looking for someone to take it before Christmas.
                  Any advice greatly appreciated.
                  Tim give me a call at the office pronto. 929300 one one
                  Originally posted by Lefty
                  Leave the OP alone, he's worried about all those extra CCs getting caught up in his fucking dress.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tim the pool man View Post
                    I still own part equity in the house my ex wife wanted to herself.
                    You need to either cash in that equity (ie sell it to ex wife) or use it as equity to buy a place.

                    The rental market isn't as insane as it was a year ago, but it's still overcrowded. Getting a place is a fluke.

                    However, you won't be spending Christmas in the van.
                    Last edited by Phildo; 16-12-2013, 12:49 PM.
                    One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

                    My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Regardless of offering extra bond for the pet, the agent can't accept it. Bond maximums are set by law.
                      offer more rent $, owners like this.
                      make sure all your references are tops, if you've been in 1 house for 5 years this is good (shows stability), make sure they can speak to the right people at work. Nothing worse than getting dicked about, then getting through to HR, only to be told they need confirmation from the employee/ applicant first.
                      let your boss know to expect the call.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Woohoo great news I got the place I wanted in Alexander heights. ))

                        Thanks to everyone who offered advice or assistance.
                        Better get packing, move this weekend
                        Last edited by Tim the PM; 16-12-2013, 01:51 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you have no luck there is a facebook page for people who rent houses to people with pets.
                          My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great news, Tim.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X