KWTK : Japan holiday with my kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWTK : Japan holiday with my kids

I am taking the kids on a holiday this year before I am fully pinned down with the new mortgage. So the kids and I have decided on Japan.

My question is besides Tokyo where would be some good places to take them as the holiday is mainly for them. I want to take them to some cool places that kids would love as well as some great places to learn about their history and culture. The Bullet Train is already on the little man's list. Studio Ghibli museum was first on the big little man's list and going through the Akihabara shopping district ... my list

But where else is good to go. Kyoto, Fukuoka, Sapporo, some of the smaller districts ?? What is there that is worth seeing and what should be avoided.

Cheers

Personally, I would avoid any discounted tours to disused energy plants and love of seafoods could be risky!
    [MENTION=5337]OptiC[/MENTION] may have some advice that is relevant he is living there atm...

Comment

Depends on the season. When are you heading over?

In a nutshell, I'd go in one end and come out the other. Perth > Tokyo > Kyoto > Hiroshima > Miyajima > Osaka > Perth is a fairly long trip with plenty of stuff to appeal to everybody at the major locations, using the large cities as a base to do day-trips from, but yeah, give us a date range and we'll zero in on some stuff to recommend for you guys, good accommodation spots, etc.

**edit: Tokyo Disney Sea park is awesome, also check out Tokyo Big Sight (TOKYO BIG SIGHT -Tokyo International Exhibition Center-) and see if there's anything on during your timeframe you may want to see. They fairly frequently host a variety of interesting conventions.

Studio Ghibli is really interesting, beautifully built place but is very heavily geared towards very young kids. I'm sure you know already but you *must* book your tickets for Ghibli before leaving Australia and you must turn up on your allotted day to get in, tickets are not available at the door at all and you won't be admitted outside your ticketed day.
      Last edited by Sunshine & F'n Rainbows; 06-01-2014, 08:47 AM.
      such comment
      wow
      many post

Comment

How old are your kids?
        Can you help with foster care?
        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Date range would be End of June through some of July (mid year school holidays). Kids are 10 and 14. Young fella is motorbike/transport/transformers/cars nut job and eldest is drawing/anime/gaming/manga nutjob

Comment

Kawasaki Good Times World

This will be hit with the kids then.
            Kobe itself is gorgeous and you should set aside an evening to just wander the harbour as the place lights up in rather speccy fashion. Head up to the foreign quarter too, as apart from some pretty buildings, the walk to and from is rather delightful.
            Tezuka Osamu Manga Museum : TezukaOsamu.net(EN)
            Another good place to take the kids. Its in Osaka.
            While there, you could also go here:
            Osaka Aquarium KAIYUKAN
            Dotombori (a part of the city) is a great place to visit on Sunday arvo/evening (it lights up like a scene from Blade Runner at night) to take in the youth culture.

Kyoto is also a must visit place as its one the few cities that didn't have the crap bombed out of it, so the bulk of the historical structures are still standing. Ditto Nara; smaller but has the bonus of having deer running around everywhere.

Comment

Ogle at the Manga cosplayers in Harajuku?

Comment

Originally posted by Rorschach View Post
                Ogle at the Manga cosplayers in Harajuku?
                This is a weird place.

Sunday afternoon seems to be the done time to hang out by Harajuku bridge. It's a weird mix of very dedicated costumed folks who are happy to pose for a few photos, slack jawed tourists and creepy bastards with long lenses hanging around in the bushes at the edge of Yoyogi park.

Definitely check out the area, but the novelty gets creepy pretty fast. Yoyogi park is gorgeous, Harajuku itself is well worth a walk around as well.

Pretty sure I've rambled at length about Jay-Pee. I'll see if I can dig up my old tagged Google map of places to see.
                such comment
                wow
                many post

Comment

Originally posted by Todd B. Rexington View Post
                  This is a weird place.

Sunday afternoon seems to be the done time to hang out by Harajuku bridge. It's a weird mix of very dedicated costumed folks who are happy to pose for a few photos, slack jawed tourists and creepy bastards with long lenses hanging around in the bushes at the edge of Yoyogi park.

Definitely check out the area, but the novelty gets creepy pretty fast. Yoyogi park is gorgeous, Harajuku itself is well worth a walk around as well.

Pretty sure I've rambled at length about Jay-Pee. I'll see if I can dig up my old tagged Google map of places to see.
                  Tokyo (and Japan in general) is top of my list of places to go, and as much as I want to go to Harajuku, I can imagine it would be full of weirdos and individuals high on the creepiness scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Rorschach View Post
                    Tokyo (and Japan in general) is top of my list of places to go, and as much as I want to go to Harajuku, I can imagine it would be full of weirdos and individuals high on the creepiness scale.
                    In general it's just another inner city suburb with a couple of streets featuring groovy markets and very strange fashions.

For my money, Akihabara is *far* weirder than Harajuku. Some cool arcades and tech centres to check out, but for the most part it's creepy man-children with poor social skills ogling women in costume while shopping for body-length pillows emblazened with drawings of underage girls.

It's like the worst kind of lan-party attendees mashed into their own suburb of awkward delusion. I'd be kind-of okay with the whole district falling into a black hole.
                    such comment
                    wow
                    many post

Comment

Akihabara and Harajuku are high on my list of places with weirdness I want to check out I think Sir Rexington knows I am an anime nerd hehe

But a tagged Google map would be most appreciated. I have never really researched japan as a place to visit so hence the need for direction But there are definitely some awesome ideas popping up here so I will definitely start listing out an itinerary for the kids and I to work through for our trip with a rest day or two here and there hehe

Any other suggestions would be greatly welcome to work through and see what we all want to see

Comment

Another thing that would be perfect for your kids is a day/evening trip to Odiba.
                        Odaiba Area | Japan National Tourism Organization

You catch the monorail there (quoting lines from the monorail song to annoy your family is compulsory), doing so at night gives you a truly spectacular view of all of Tokyo. The Island has a "world of tomorrow" feel going on and the things I would recommend as perfect family things are;
                        http://www.megaweb.gr.jp/About/en.html
                        Toyota Megaweb. Cars, Robots, Rides and a truly amazing classic car collection.

FUJI TELEVISION NETWORK, INC.
                        Fuji TV building. They probably won't have much of an idea of what's going on, but still worth the visit.

DiverCity Tokyo Plaza
                        Diver City. IT HAS A GIANT ROBOT.

Comment

lol... watch out for those Manga shops along Akihabara... some of them has comics store on the ground floor, teens sections at the basement and *ahem* very adult stuff on the top floors

Namja town at Tokyo was pretty cool... food and theme park mixed in to a few floors; I think kids would enjoy the quirkiness of the place and enjoy the food they have there... (Gyoza choices are awesome) and has an Aquarium there too which was pretty good for the size of it... they are at Sunshine City

Disneyland was a little of a let down for me, but then I have been to LA Disney, and Tokyo ones ages ago... however, we went there during the Summer period and the water shows they had was very unique. Disney Sea is unique but then would cater more towards the "grownups"

Doraemon (Fujiko F Fujio) museum is a must for fans but then it is also located on the outskirt of Tokyo...

Yokohama China town is a great place with lots of stuff to see... food there were great (even for a Chinese traveller like me) love the fatty stewed pork in steam buns very colourful, and close to the Ramen noodle museum which has the old town setup with activities for kids and lots of different region's ramen to try...

Osaka Shinsaibashi is a street to be explore with so many food, shoppings and things to see...
                          Osaka aquarium was a little bit of a let down for me... except for the whale shark, I wasnt too wow'ed by it... but it is on the to-do list of Osaka, and the shopping center opposit the aquarium had a pretty large selection of foods and entertainment...
                          Osaka universal studio is suppose to be good but havent had a chance to do it yet...

One game I like to play is call spot the Tokyo local at Osaka.... at escalators, people from Tokyo all stand on the left hand side to keep the right side for people who walks faster... people from Osaka all stand on the right side... so sometimes you see people standing at the wrong side, and you might get a glaring from the locals if you stand on the wrong side....

Tokyo big Sight is a good place to have a look too as I managed to be there during an Anime convention last year... but beside that, the shopping centers there are pretty big, with a Toyota car display center there, and Hello Kitty amusement center too if that tickles your kids' fancy... also there is a life size Gundum robot there too (I'm not sure if the Gundum display they had last year is still there)

Will be going around April again... cant wait
                          "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

It looks like there is a big festival in Kyoto as well through July "Gion Matsuri" so that might be worth working into the itinerary as well

Awesome information thanks guys Well worth a looky me thinks

Comment

Checkout if there is a sumo tournament on while you are there. If so, that's worth a visit. You really need to book in advance though.

Comment

Working...
                              X