WWTK - Fire Pits and Granite Blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWTK - Fire Pits and Granite Blocks

I want to put a fire pit in my back yard and been looking at ideas as to what I want. Would love to have something like this in there but not sure where to get the granite from. Anyone know of a good supplier in Perth? I have had a bit of a look round and can find people that will build it for you, there are free rocks on gumtree but they are more retaining wall rocks and not the flat type I would prefer.

The other option I have is making it out of besser blocks and then adding some cladding to the outside like below or using the decorative besser blocks but would prefer the stones if I can

Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

Check out how the cladding handles the heat, as well as the adhesive and the backing. Or get a cast iron metal firepit and build a small enclosure with the granite wall blocks or other decorative blocks?

Comment

Subscribed. VERY interested in this subject myself; was originally looking at cast iron units such as these Fire Pit | Fire Pits Australia | Firepit | Firepits For Sale but really like the look of the pic you posted. I suppose the advantage of a cast iron unit is it can be moved or put away over summer.

Comment

It will be a nightmare trying to piece that puzzle together out of 100% stone without slopping mortar everywhere but you should be able to find a stone or slate supplier who can give you a trailer load.

Go for brick with a stone panel veneer. Use decent kiln/oven mortar and fireplace tile grout if the fire is going to sit low in the pit (and don't forget about some holes in the base for air to enter!) or if it is just going to sit up on top of soil like in your pic you probably won't have any major heat issues.

If you ever plan on people touching the outside (or kids) then you may want to go double brick with an air void, but that is probably overkill.

Comment

Looking at that pic a bit more closely it looks like a gas or other fuel based fire; I'm not sure that would be any good for lumping a load of wood on and lighting it up which would be what I'm hoping to do.......

Comment

It would be okay if you had a hole on each face running into the base of the pit to provide some oxygen, and then didn't have that soil so that the wood is burning IN the pit, not on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rnelson955 View Post
              Looking at that pic a bit more closely it looks like a gas or other fuel based fire; I'm not sure that would be any good for lumping a load of wood on and lighting it up which would be what I'm hoping to do.......
              You might be right there. If I build one out of the besser blocks I will make it 2 blocks high (maybe 3 depending on how it looks) and will put a layer of 1 high (or 2 depending on the height I build it) to rest a grate on for the wood to sit on. The grate will allow for airflow but will also take Steves recommendation on board and it will also allow for ashes to fall through once it has burnt away. I would ideally like the fire partially inside the pit but want the pit to be a height where the fire sitting on the ground wouldn't quite work.

Will make sure I use kiln mortar / heatproof adhesive for anything I do try and build. I had a look at the cast iron unit and couldn't find anything that I liked to be a stand alone unit. I did however see these 2 and liked them also

Fire Pit | *Creation Landscape Supplies*Creation Landscape Supplies

&

Image from (Third Rock Fire Pit)
              Last edited by Waikikablukar; 09-01-2014, 11:50 AM.
              Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

Comment

Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
                It will be a nightmare trying to piece that puzzle together out of 100% stone without slopping mortar everywhere but you should be able to find a stone or slate supplier who can give you a trailer load.

Go for brick with a stone panel veneer. Use decent kiln/oven mortar and fireplace tile grout if the fire is going to sit low in the pit (and don't forget about some holes in the base for air to enter!) or if it is just going to sit up on top of soil like in your pic you probably won't have any major heat issues.

If you ever plan on people touching the outside (or kids) then you may want to go double brick with an air void, but that is probably overkill.

You can just mix vermiculite with sand to insulate against the fire. Bricks won't insulate, they will absorb.

I would put solid clay bricks in the base and the sides surrounded by sand / vermiculite mix. That way the clay will absorb the heat and retain it for a while after the fire has gone out.

Do a bit of research on pizza oven construction and you should get a few tips I reckon.

Comment

Huntington Beach has a long history of fire pits.
                  -

Comment

Ross, I know it's not as flash as what you posted but also consider an easy option of a Chimenea or Clay Pizza Chimenea, as it's simple, inexpensive, still looks nice, and can be put away when not required
                    good for a bit of guest engagement/entertainment making their own dinner rather than you doing it for them

edit: the links I posted are for display purposes only, you'd obviously need to research which ones are crap and which ones aren't

Comment

They're nice @Waikikablukar ; really like the idea of the World Map one but not sure how it would translate into an effective fire to sit around.

Comment

did you end up buying one? cooler months are approaching and i have wanted a fire pit since i moved into my place 3 years ago.

Comment

Nah haven't yet have been focusing on other parts of the house / garden. Went and had a look at the one at creation landscapes and decided against it as it only sits about 250mm high which could be a trip hazard with kids / drunk friends.

Actually going to start working on that area of the yard shortly though and after looking through a few more idea we are probably going to use gabion baskets for the seats and table in that area (something like this)

and then possibly do the bowl idea from creation but inside either a rock surrounding that sits about 500mm high or railway sleepers filled with rocks

Comment

And a new idea has come up...

Last edited by Waikikablukar; 27-03-2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I love Gabon walls and features. Just getting the quantity of correct size stones for a decent price in Perth is the killer

Comment

Working...
                              X