MWTK Kuala Lumpur, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWTK Kuala Lumpur, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh

Anyone got any must-do/see attractions for Kuala Lumpur, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh? Heading over with wifey. We haven't really planned mush to do (very unlike her), and I'm not great at doing nothing on holidays. I can do that at home for free...

Heading to KL tomorrow for a few days, then SR for a few days, then travelling down to PP to help build houses for poor Cambodian families in an outer lying village, which is the reason for the trip.

-Al

Tuol Sleng Prison.

Comment

Just been through all that area.

PM sent - call me ASAP if you want SIM cards - I've got two for each of Cambodia and KL.

Phnom Penh: Killing Fields (ie Choeung Ek) and Toul Sleng
      Siem Reap: the nightlife there will surprise you. Find a dinner/Cambodian dance show.

KL: Petronas Towers - was there a couple of days ago and still can't believe that I was so stunned by "just" a building. The problem is that you need to buy tickets in advance. We got lucky, and one of the staff pulled some strings. Half the tickets are sold via web site, so see if you can buy some.
      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Thanks for the PM Phildo. We are leaving Siem Reap this morning, traveling by bus to Phnom Penh. We did Angkor yesterday. Saw most of the main stuff. All of Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Thommanon, Ta Promh. Incredible. Would love to come back and do the rest. I think it's great that tourists are given the chance to get really up close and personal with the buildings, but the I kinda cringed when I saw tourists climbing up the walls and generally behaving like disrespectful idiots.

Comment

Yeah the usual Angkor stuff is good in Siem Riep, pub street and the main tourist strip is surprisingly good too. Some nice places to chill on the river.

As far as Phnom Penh goes, S-22 and the killing fields are a must do - if you haven't done much reading on Pol Pot and the Cambodian Genocide then have a quick look on the net - crazy stuff. The royal palace/museum is nice enough during the day - and there are a few good spots by the river to grab some food/drink too.

If you get the chance, head on down to Sihanoukville for a few days. Nice tropical beaches and chilled out place.

Comment

Just got back today - been a busy couple of weeks. We were in Phnom Penh for the last 5 days, as part of humanitarian effort to build houses for the poorest Cambodian families. It was organised through the Tabitha Foundation, and it included all the must-do things like visiting the Tabitha headquarters (all the staff have been rescued from the streets and prostitution), Tuol Sleng, the Killing Fields and Sunrise Childrens Village.

The people had to save USD$25 to be part of the program, a feat in itself. We went and built 13 new houses in this village, for 13 families, with 56 children. They're high up off the ground because their current homes get destroyed during any kind of monsoon/flooding. So the parents can't go to work, so the kids can't go to school. Only 14% of children finish primary school, and when they've got a Tabitha house it jumps up to 86% or something like that.

Really was an eye-opener for us, and to see the looks on the families faces when we finished was just priceless. All worth it.

Comment

The towers in KL are cool, and also some awesome water parks.

I was too excited about going to sepang for the gp to really take much interest in KL the week before lol
              2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale
              2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R x2
              2012 KAWASAKI ZX6R SUPERSTOCK RACE BIKE (Alive Again!)
              2009 YAMAHA R6 SUPERSPORT TRACK/RACE BIKE
              2008 HONDA CBR1000RR SUPERBIKE TRACK/RACE BIKE
              2012 KAWASAKI NINJA 250 PRODUCTION RACE BIKE

Comment

Originally posted by MrP View Post
                Really was an eye-opener for us, and to see the looks on the families faces when we finished was just priceless. All worth it.
                You actually did something useful. I was just being the usual moron tourist (except for my lengthy lecture to a tuk-tuk driver about how he should buy his own tuk-tuk).

Post photos. Shitloads of 'em.
                One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

When I was in Cambodia we always shopped using our 'plastic' as our currency negotiation advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                    You actually did something useful. I was just being the usual moron tourist (except for my lengthy lecture to a tuk-tuk driver about how he should buy his own tuk-tuk).

Post photos. Shitloads of 'em.
                    Photos arent great quality, taken with an iPhone 5 and cheap Lumix point+click.

View of Petronas Towers from KL Tower

Ducati Shop inside the Pavilion Mall

Siem Reap - Pub Street

Angkor Wat

The moat around Angkor Wat is 1.5km x 1.3km rectangle and 190 metres wide the whole way around.

Inside Angkor Wat

Inside Angkor Wat

Moat Around Angkor Thom, 3km x 3km square.

Angkor Thom South Gate

Bayon

Baphuon. They started restoring the temple in the 60s. The Khmer Rouge destroyed all documents showing how the temple should be re-assembled. Hence all the pieces of stone laid about.

Ta Promh - hasn't been restored so you can see where nature has taken over

Ta Promh

Ta Promh

Then the bad. S-21 Tuol Sleng in Phnom Penh. Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

School classrooms turned into tiny cells, the openings offset so they couldn't see each other. Doorways cut through the walls. The balconys outside are covered in barbed wire so prisoners couldn't commit suicide.

One of many torture rooms. Yeah, blood stains on the floor.

Killing Fields at Choeung Ek. Killing Fields - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

And why we went at all. To help build houses for the Cambodians.

One of the finished houses.

The families lining up to get the keys (actually a handmade quilt from Tabitha)

Comment

Awesome. Especially the photos of the temples.
                        Originally posted by Ferris
                        I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

The highlight of my Cambodia trip was firing an RPG into Phnom Phen mountain. Best $150 usd ive spent in asia!

Comment

Working...
                          X