Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWTK: Cross threaded axle stud

Question for the PBS brains trust,
    I am about to do the front brake pads on my little corolla but................whilst removing one of the wheels I notice that one of the wheel nuts / studs is cross threaded (very tight to get off). Now I am assuming that the guys who did my tyres about six months ago did this as it was the last time the wheels were off.
    My question is, yes changing brake pads not a problem but how much of a bitch is the cross threaded stud going to be. The corolla is my main mode of transport so I've got to get something done by Monday.

If this is beyond me and I have to get it to someone I'd prefer somewhere close to work (55km from here), so worst case scenario if I had to drive it there am I tempting fate with just 3 x wheel nuts on there ?

Thanks
    "Farewell, shitty day, don't forget to fuck thyself on the way out"

Just drove my falcon with 4 out of 5 nuts on both rear wheels, as I didn't have the lock nut key (and using a socket got them off, but no point doing more damage than needed)

Not ideal, but given the loads they can handle, be nice to it and you'll Be sweet missing one.
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Yea shouldn't be an issue, changing a stud isn't hard though
      for passing your r-e test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-57420/
      for passing your R class test see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...-thread-97314/
      for passing your intermediate excel training coarse see here- http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...course-163460/

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboy View Post
        That^^^

Get the new stud...

Remove wheel...

Knock stud out knock new one in...

Comment

Pffffffft, don't know what I was worried out $5 later and it's as good as new (well it is a new stud/nut), a few hits with the hammer and its all done.
          Thanks guys, I didn't really have a good look beforehand, hence the reason for concern.
          The little rolla now pulls up nicely.

Cheers.
          "Farewell, shitty day, don't forget to fuck thyself on the way out"

Comment

Originally posted by 96 View Post
            Just drove my falcon with 4 out of 5 nuts on both rear wheels, as I didn't have the lock nut key (and using a socket got them off, but no point doing more damage than needed)

Not ideal, but given the loads they can handle, be nice to it and you'll Be sweet missing one.
            +1 My old V8 F100 4WD used to snap rear studs when given hard time so I tended to have a stock of them Many times I drove it around with only 4 studs, as long as I took it easy she was OK

Originally posted by kennyboy View Post
            +1 Usually they tap out quite easily, sometimes the new ones can be a bit tight but a hammer and some heat usually helps
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
            X