Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBWTK Pilots licence (plane not car infront of truck)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBWTK Pilots licence (plane not car infront of truck)

Hi Guys, looking into getting my pilots licence, has anyone done this and are there any recomendations as to whom to go with?

I have February off work and am going to see if i can do the 12 hours needed to go solo over this time

Who have you used and as it is such an expensive thing to do who is the cheapest/best

At this stage i have only spoke to RACWA

I have it, be aware though its a lot of study. Flying a plane is easy its all the theory thats hard. Not so hard if all you want is a ppl but if you want to take it to commercial its 90% theory and there is a shit load of it.

You will need a medical and make sure you cover everything, for instance I have have a PPL but I have since been diagnosed with add so I can never fly again even privately.

On the other hand having ADD doesnt necessarily make you a bad pilot so maybe you are better off not checking.

The 12 hours does take some time its actually more like 50 hours by the time you take preparing and flights plans and preflight checks and etc etc, each hour of flight time is really more like 3-4 hours. You will need to be an know a shit tin about weather, Radio communication, fuel and load cals, navigating, aircraft systems, and a buch of other stuff and yes that is just for your solo. Dont go into it just expecting to sit a learners and get a license like you did with your motorbike License. Pilots are the more tested than brain surgeons, it requires and insane amount of study that you cant blow off as it could save your life one day.

Its great though, nothing is more fun than coming into Jandekot sideways in blustery crosswind working the yoke like crazy, then levelling the wings and kicking the nose back straight just before you touch down, then rolling for a sew secs and hitting the throttle to take off and do another circuit.

Pm Flyboy and I think Mikey mike or whatever he goes by now days. Search the forum as there are a few other people who have asked the same question.

Oh yeah and nothing beats the smell of avgas in the morning.
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Redfern View Post
      I have since been diagnosed with add so I can never fly again even privately.
      No kidding? hmm >:/

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Redfern View Post
        for instance I have have a PPL but I have since been diagnosed with add so I can never fly again even privately.
        This sounds like a load of utter shite to me. Have you spoken to Rob Liddell. I've had 4 lots of brain surgery a heart condition fixed and they'll still give me a Class 1.

It was hard work but you have to fight the bureaucrats in Canberra.
        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy247 View Post
          Hi Guys, looking into getting my pilots licence, has anyone done this and are there any recomendations as to whom to go with?
          RAAF.

If that's not an option basically go anywhere except for Air Australia. If Minovation are still operating I'd go there.

What's your goal? Do you just want a PPL or are you planning to get a CPL and become an airline pilot?

edit: Helicopters are a shitload more fun to fly than fixed wing, and job prospects are arguably better. Wish I knew this when I started!
          Last edited by mcmurray; 21-01-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcmurray View Post
            RAAF.

If that's not an option basically go anywhere except for Air Australia. If Minovation are still operating I'd go there.

What's your goal? Do you just want a PPL or are you planning to get a CPL and become an airline pilot?

edit: Helicopters are a shitload more fun to fly than fixed wing, and job prospects are arguably better. Wish I knew this when I started!
            Not a fan of Texans. :p

Comment

Not that particular one no

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                This sounds like a load of utter shite to me. Have you spoken to Rob Liddell. I've had 4 lots of brain surgery a heart condition fixed and they'll still give me a Class 1.

It was hard work but you have to fight the bureaucrats in Canberra.
                To be honest I havent 1000% checked it, as I havent flown for years anyway, I was just told by the doctor who diagnosed me.
                My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Budget $15k minimum for a PPL.

There are four or five flying schools at Jandakot, and they are all very similar on pricing.

Its a 40 hour absolute minimum flight time to get a PPL, and around $300/hr for plane and instructor, plus fees to CASA, medicals etc. etc.

I just wish I could afford it...

Comment

Originally posted by BenG View Post
                    Budget $15k minimum for a PPL.

There are four or five flying schools at Jandakot, and they are all very similar on pricing.

Its a 40 hour absolute minimum flight time to get a PPL, and around $300/hr for plane and instructor, plus fees to CASA, medicals etc. etc.

I just wish I could afford it...
                    This. Both my brothers did it. 1 finished, 1 lost interest and money dried up. its expensive and holy shit the cessnas are tiny

Comment

What does it cost to get a helicopter pilot licence these days?
                      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                        What does it cost to get a helicopter pilot licence these days?
                        I'd say 1.5x the cost of fixed wing at a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by black500r View Post
                          This. Both my brothers did it. 1 finished, 1 lost interest and money dried up. its expensive and holy shit the cessnas are tiny
                          You think their tiny when you're sitting in the front seat, try working behind the instrument panel...

Comment

IF you want to learn to fly quickly and cheaply ... pretty much the only way to do it well is to learn to glide first.

It will teach you to actually fly well .... as you have to land first time everytime ...plus you need to always know where you are are where you can get to... which helps immensely if you have any problems in a powered aircraft.

The clubs in WA are all volunteer run, so instruction is free, hire rates are lower than powered aircraft, and anything over 2 hours(?) is free! (I think this is still the case?)
                            All you need to do is give a bit back to keep the system running.

I went solo in a little over 5 hours of flying time, but that is on the very low side of things...
                            You are much more likely to achieve solo in an short intensive course gliding, than PPL.

Plus if you still want to go powered, its highly credited having gliding experience... you just need to learn a few things like engine management and more complex radio operation.

Comment

If you have the time and the cash go stay in Bunbury and go to the areo club. The Technam is a great little plane (violent stalls though so stay on your game when you practice them). The best thing about Bunbury is it is so much quieter than Jandakot, as in much less air traffic, cheaper too I think.
                              I got to the point of first solo, but then I got a girlfriend and couldn't afford to go further, dumbest thing I ever did....
                              Only dead fish go with the flow

Comment

Working...
                              X