Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWTK - ADSL & Faults to DSL lines?

Hey brain trust...

I'm after some more information regarding some issues I'm having with my connection and ideas about the process involved in rectifying.

Put simply.

I have ADSL2+ with iinet, moved in Dec 2012 1988 house.

4127m from nearest exchange with 17 links/joins.

Synch Speeds:
    Dec '12 - 7134 2813
    Feb '13 - 5103 1310
    Dec '13 - 2403 987
    Last week - 323 543
    Last night - 32 134

So basically I've had a service that is deteriorating... It's not the modem (I have 2) not the cable and I've been through the hoops with iinet to see what it could be settings wise.

What I really would like to know is:

1. They are now coming to my house today to inspect/check the lines - also check the exchange DSLAM ports and all this. What are they actually 'checking' how do they check, what's involved?
    2. Assuming they find a 'fault' how do faults happen like this? What could cause this?
    3. In the past fortnight there has been a Telstra Van lifting steel lids outside houses in my street, I assume this correspondes with the shittier service, what could they be doing that would impact the service, if it has nothing to do with it, why would they be in these pits? maintenance? what kind of maintenance is involved? (3-4 hours per house pit).

again, just after some information for my own knowledge

Thanks!
    Originally posted by Rich...
    You got me in trouble...

The tech will have some equipment (a fluke or something similar) which will enable him to do proper diagnostics on your line. I believe they can even pinpoint approximately where on the line the signal degrades (I've never actually used a fluke, but I know they're pretty funky/expensive bits of kit) - which may then involve the tech making a walk down the street to where the join or whatever is, to re-terminate it.

the faults happen mostly due to age, weather/corrosion, other tech bumping the jumper while working on something else, etc. Could be heaps of reasons.

The tech could be in the pits on your street troubleshooting other people's connections too.
    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Went through this process with TPG, they sent out one of their monkeys who plugged in the kit, found the fault within metres of the port. Found the first outlet, disconnected the other lines from it, problem solved. Fair enough it means my router now sits over the kettle, but the bandwidth ain't too bad now
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Line Bit Rate 1149 kbps 590 kbps 431 kbps 443 kbps
        Output Power 17.7 dBm 17.6 dBm 12.2 dBm 12.2 dBm
        Attenuation 48.4 dB - 41.8 dB -
        SNR Margin 7.4 dB 7.1 dB 7.4 dB 7 dB

Type 2
        Partial OC @ 200m

RTEL OC
        Well that was quick.

Apparently there is some type of fault 200m from my house. Interesting! Apparently Telstra will have this fixed between now and COB tomorrow...

I wonder what the partial OC fault means from a comms perspective..
        Originally posted by Rich...
        You got me in trouble...

Comment

partially Open Circuit, most likely a corroded wire or loose terminal.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Originally posted by Sookie View Post
            So basically I've had a service that is deteriorating...
            FFS, now this guy has crashed the internet as well?

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

I blame speedtest.net, it's shit around corners in the wet.

Comment

Went through this with Telstra and every time they came out they'd say they found the fault, never improved, ended up cancelling every service with them including the phone. Released from any contracts because they couldn't provide the service. Middle of thornlie...

Comment

Internet service what is that? Ours drops out every five minutes or so, actually have to do a manual repair to get it working again

I haven't been able to get them to send a tech out yet as everything is aok as far as they are concerned, working on getting on the NBN if I can wrangle it, houses 3 streets away are!!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnno View Post
                    Went through this with Telstra and every time they came out they'd say they found the fault, never improved, ended up cancelling every service with them including the phone. Released from any contracts because they couldn't provide the service. Middle of thornlie...
                    Some specific issue in your area by the sounds of it, rather than a line fault. I've had to troubleshoot 4 line faults in 2 different houses in the past 3 years and they've all been resolved within a week...
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I just moved to mandurah and there are no places left on the exchange, come on its the f**king 21st century. How is wireless broadband the best I can have access to. NBN isnt due for another 6 months either. Anyone here work for telstra who can bump me up the waiting list...

Comment

^^ NBNco is not telstra.

In fact, they are Telstra's competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster 695 View Post
                          I just moved to mandurah and there are no places left on the exchange, come on its the f**king 21st century
                          I was lucky got told no places left (central mandurah), a week and half later was connected.
                          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                            I was lucky got told no places left (central mandurah), a week and half later was connected.
                            Are you with telstra or another company using telstra's copper?

Comment

Telstra as thats all i can choose, but their notification/phone support is useless said it was going to take 1 month and thats after i received the modem/router in the mail.
                              "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Working...
                              X