Split system drain blocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split system drain blocked

Our split system air con seems to have a blocked condensation drain, as there is a wet area on the floor of the room adjacent, behind a hollow stud wall. The drain runs inside the wall and some distance through the floor slab I think to a drain outside.

I've tried blowing back up the pipe to clear it but can't, and it is far too long a pipe and too bendy for me to rod. The pipe is about a 12mm NB size.

Can anyone suggest who would be best to fix this, - a plumber or a split system air con tech?

A/C lol. So you took the front panel on the indoor off? Located the drain in that & blew it clear? Dry nitrogen works best for this & also scaring the shit out of people. Or for lols blow it the other way into the unit, give the electrics a bit of a party

Comment

Blow harder
      -

Comment

To me it sounds like the drain pump has failed
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Get your missus to blow.
          Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

I have some lengths of Mig Welding liner that would probably do the job in my Shed. Imagine a tightly wound coiled spring about 4mm across, that is just over 3 meters long. Very Flexible for tight corners but has good vertical strength if poking it into a hole, also hollow so you can use an Airgun to blow compressed air through it if needed. Works like a minature version of a Plumbers Auger

Something like the one on the bottom
            http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/sip130/wire-liners.jpg
            Last edited by Amish Warrior; 22-02-2014, 12:41 AM.
            Rules are for the Obedience of Fools and the Guidance of Wise men. Douglas Bader.

Only two things are Infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein.

Three can keep a Secret, if Two of them are Dead. Benjamin Franklin.

Comment

Wet vac on the outside part of the drain.
              Nitro
              Sledge hammer
              Does the drain run upwards from the unit? If it does it may be a failed pump if it leaves the unit and runs down it will not have a pump
              Left my reg at work otherwise I could have helped
              "Insert signature here"

Comment

Originally posted by Halo_2 View Post
                To me it sounds like the drain pump has failed
                Unless it had one fitted at install, wall splits don't have drain pumps, often those black house spiders climb in the drains then grow too fat and block them, best to undo the few screws on the indoor unit and take the cover off, then look from there, you can pour hot water onto the coil and see if the drain works at all, be careful sticking anything up the drain unless you know what the installer used, some guys use a very thin plastic flex hose that is weak as and would tear easily.

Comment

And if the room behind is getting wet, id say the drain has come apart where it goes from the splits drain hose to the installers drain hose, if its blocked it would usually leak down the wall the split is fitted on.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think Johnno might be the winner. Still one question remains, - get an air con guy to attend, or a plumber? I'm thinking air con tech, as he is going to have to take the split system off the wall to get to the join in the hose (or check pump if it has one).

Comment

Blow harder from the outside.
                      -

Comment

Shotgun not. [MENTION=5686]chew[/MENTION] will do it

Comment

We had one with the same symptoms.
                          As has been said earlier, the hose had parted.
                          I managed to slide a smaller diameter hose through to the outside.
                          Took the end off one of those cheap drain springs on a roll and threaded that through.
                          It took a while but, the only other option was to cut and repair the wall.
                          Was still working when we sold the house years later.

Comment

Try sucking on the hose where it exits the house.

Enjoy the slime that comes out. Try not to swallow.

If the pipes are run inside the wall the insulation may have been compromised and the the condensation from them is causing the problem.
                            They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Speaking of air con, was I just taught wrong or is it perfectly legal to top up refrigerant into a system thats short?

I quit one company that asked me to do it and am more than likely about to be fired from one company for refusing to do it and reporting it to HR when a split basher dropped 4kg into a system that dumped it all overnight.

Ive read Codes of Practice, Arctick etc and shown them the legislation but they are arguing the point that its ok because "everybody else does it, how else do we compete?"

On topic, get an air con guy if you cant DIY.

Comment

Working...
                              X