Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NWTK: How to drill a hole thru a double brick wall for a dryer vent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWTK: How to drill a hole thru a double brick wall for a dryer vent?

I have a clothes dryer hanging on the wall that I want to vent to the outside. I have the vent kit but need to punch a hole of about 110mm diameter through the double brick wall.

I’m not keen on the Swiss cheese method of drilling a million holes and then using a chisel to chip it out because it’s above head height so the thought of spending an hour or two per side up a ladder with a chisel would be a bit like torture...

Any ideas? masonary hole saw? Do I have to pay some core drilling dudes?

cheers, n8

You should be able to hire a core drill, but I would be drilling lots of holes chipping it out cause it's cheap and not that hard...

Comment

New house/old house?

Core drilling dudes will cost minimum of $150.00 up to $250.00 depending on who you call.

If it is an old house the bricks could be tough and I would advise using a proper hammer drill (not percussion) to speed process even if using the Swiss cheese method.

I can lend you the drill and long drill bit if that's the way you end up going.
      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

In any case: Buy a wire detector if you don't have one before you start drilling
        Bosch Cable Wire Detector I/N 6260170 | Bunnings Warehouse

Comment

Or you check for any power points / switches / gas / water on either side of the wall before drilling.
          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

thanks for the replies!

The house is a 70's place and the outside bricks are those gnarly white one's that are made out of shiny little stones (possibly diamonds). I do have a hammer drill and super long masory bit from a previous adventures in AV wiring so I may as well drill the central hole and see how I go.

I expect it will take ages but I can start drilling and over time just chip away at it ^_^

Comment

Why drill a central hole?

Comment

Pilot hole + round file + a few decades = bigger hole?
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Only reason I can think of is if you drill it nice and straight from your mark point inside, then you have the centre of your outside hole...
                  Last edited by Rich...; 12-05-2014, 04:15 PM.

Comment

You want a rotary hammer drill, don't bother with just a normal one, it will take forever, Chew offered you a loaner so use that if you don't have one, the difference is incredible.

Comment

Could it be quicker to remove whole bricks inside and out then back fill with a mortar mix? Mortar is heaps easier to drill/ chisel/saw if you have a grinder and a diamond cutting disk, won't get you all the way through but will make a neat start on each side.

Comment

25 mm centre hole then slide this in and light.

Hang clothes in laundry and let the breeze dry clothes.
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

Rotary hammer drill + core drill bit (called an sds drill if your English).

Other options include taking a couple of bricks out and using a plate if you can find one, (don't know if they sell them here or not).

Remove bricks, chisel when they aren't in the wall and then place pipe and vent cover back in, then touch up the mortar.

That's all I can think of, option 1 is the easiest.

Comment

Originally posted by 66 View Post
                              ...I just wanted another look
                              Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Working...
                              X