BDWTK TV reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BDWTK TV reccomendations

so. long story short the young fella smashed my living room tv. not happy about it but its done and now i need a replacement.

it was a 55lm6700 lg 55" smart tv full hd.

the two replacements im torn between are a 55UH652T a 55" lg smart ultra hd tv ($1600)

and a KDL65W850C a sony 65" full hd smart 3d tv. ($1900)

so heres the catch points that im having trouble deciding.

the LG has a feature called time machine where you can pause/rewind/playback and record live tv. the sony does not pause/rewind live tv but it can record tv and watch it at a later time.

the sony is 10" bigger and has 3D ( which i never used anyway) and is 300 bux more expensive.

the LG is 4K UHD but the sony is only full HD ( but i have nothing that can push 4K so i dont think ill benefit from it)

i enjoyed the felexability of time machine but i also like the bigger tv.. what to do.

on a side note i dont want a hisense / tcl / soniqu stuff as i just dont yet trust them brands.
    Originally posted by Paraletic
    little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Bigger is always better.
    Some nifty little feature may sound great on paper, but that is only useful when watching TV. When watching movies or using the TV for anything else, the extra 10 inches will be heaps better.
    Here lies the body of Harold Day
    He knew it was his right of way.
    He was right, dead right, as he rode along
    But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Supdog View Post
      Bigger is always better.
      Some nifty little feature may sound great on paper, but that is only useful when watching TV. When watching movies or using the TV for anything else, the extra 10 inches will be heaps better.
      Like there's any time when an extra 10 inches isn't heaps better.
      AKA Lady Jonas

Comment

I have the 55" version of that Sony after having a 42" Panasonic plasma for 11 years. Had the new one pretty much since it was released as there was an error in pricing and got it cheap at the time.

Initially there were a lot of teething problems with the Android system on it. A lot of updates and such to fix some bugs. For the last 3 months or so however, it has been fantastic. Super crisp picture even in glare. Good blacks in things like GOT and such. Sports on fox in HD is unbelievably good.

Running on Android is pretty handy. Plenty of apps to download. I like that Netflix is just a big button on the remote rather than having to go to the main screen and select it. Google store access is easy and handy for movies and such. Plenty of HDMI and USB inputs. Wifi was easy and works well, as is setting up Getflix. There are apparently a lot of little hacks you can do according to whirlpool forums but I am not that kinda guy.

Slightly annoying and harder to screen mirror since I have an iphone rather than an Android, but that is my problem really since I like my iphone an refuse to change.

Aesthetically a nice TV. Very slim, minimalist stand.

Close to 100 pages of discussions, reviews and issues with these TVs here: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2439884

Comment

Personally i would wait till 4K TVs become the norm and cheap before purchasing a 4K TV, the quality 4K TVs are still around 4-6,000.

I would purchase a second hand TV until 4K is norm.
          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Originally posted by Supdog View Post
            Bigger is always better.
            so heres the balls of my predicament.

10 unches. or the pause/rewind live tv.

when useing my old now broken lg tv i did use the time machine feature a bit.

but biiiggger tv....
            little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

Originally posted by Benny D View Post
              10 unches.
              Kia Ora Cuz.

I'd get the bigger one - but that's just me.

Comment

i reckon go the bigger one, anything you view will be a maximum of Full 1080 HD anyways and as theres nothing to watch it wont matter if you cant pause and rewind it

i dont think theres any plans to upgrade broadcasted programming ( paid or FTA ) to 4k anytime soon ??

how about warranty, service anything from each better?
                I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

as far as im aware even the HD channels still only run a 1080I. not the full 1080P. so theres no concern for the HD factor.

warranty unsure. servicing... my last lg plasma i brouht in 2008 is still going strong at the parents place. this one was great too at 3 years old till it was attacked. still turns on and runs just a big damage part in the middle and some big lines through it.

Comment

4K - is there any relevant content for them? as far as I know only some console games and high end computer graphics cards can output 4k. There is no FTA TV, Netflix, Stan etc that is 4K compatible. Very few movies are avalible in 4k, although I am sure it will happen over time. Trying to stream 4k over teh interwebs is probably going to push even the NBN at this point. There are very few downloads - torrents etc availible in 4K too (obviously they need the content to be availible in 4k in the first place)

The average viewer probably will not notice on a 55" TV anyway, so the 65" might be worth it for when 4k does happen in the future.

However - 1080P TV's have been availible for 15+ years now and most FTA TV still doesnt support it (1080i yep). I doubt 4k will come in too quickly either. Its probably nice to have for w**k factor, but I doubt it will make a difference in the next 5-10 years unless you are a hardcore gamer.

IMO try find a 65" 1080 smart TV at a better price - and try a few other brands in you search (Samsung comes to mind, pretty sure they make the LG's screen anyway!)

Comment

none of the bigger brands come close. samsung or the likes.

lg dont make full hd over 55 inch anymore. only ultra hd.

there is a panasonic for preety much the same price but i rate a sony well above them.

Comment

so heres the balls of my predicament.

10 unches. or the pause/rewind live tv.
                        There will never be an app for 10 inches. . . but maybe an android app for pause and rewind?

Comment

none of the bigger brands come close. samsung or the likes.

lg dont make full hd over 55 inch anymore. only ultra hd.

there is a panasonic for preety much the same price but i rate a sony well above them.
                          https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-en...lcd-tv/957804/

All the fruit for less?

Comment

Originally posted by out_in_front View Post
                            basically the same thing as the lg 55inch i first mentioned >>>>55UH652T a 55" lg smart ultra hd tv ($1600)

Comment

so. long story short the young fella smashed my living room tv. not happy about it but its done and now i need a replacement.

it was a 55lm6700 lg 55" smart tv full hd.

the two replacements im torn between are a 55UH652T a 55" lg smart ultra hd tv ($1600)

and a KDL65W850C a sony 65" full hd smart 3d tv. ($1900)

so heres the catch points that im having trouble deciding.

the LG has a feature called time machine where you can pause/rewind/playback and record live tv. the sony does not pause/rewind live tv but it can record tv and watch it at a later time.

the sony is 10" bigger and has 3D ( which i never used anyway) and is 300 bux more expensive.

the LG is 4K UHD but the sony is only full HD ( but i have nothing that can push 4K so i dont think ill benefit from it)

i enjoyed the felexability of time machine but i also like the bigger tv.. what to do.

on a side note i dont want a hisense / tcl / soniqu stuff as i just dont yet trust them brands.
                              What about Kogan ?. Its a huge saving, record- rewind and pause television all with a quality Samsung panel.

$499 = 55inch That's what I would be grabbing. TV's are like PC's, stay a little behind the very latest to get your moneys worth.

https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy/...20_DS_AU_1_TVs

Comment

Working...
                              X