Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jwtk - how much do uber drivers 'really' make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwtk - how much do uber drivers 'really' make?

So I'm soon to be starting my own business. Time is holding me back from it progressing as quickly as it would, money is currently meaning that I won't switch to put more time into it for 3-6 months as opposed to now.. Considering Uber to take up the slack to free more time for the business whilst giving a life line in the early days (I expect being able to do 50:50 Monday to friday or saturday to start).

Wondered realistically what the earnings were like with Uber? Read the stories on their page of "Jarrod earns $1500 a week" but does jarrod work 18 hour days??

Anyone out there drive? what could I expect for say an 8 hour day 3-4 days a week?

This is mostly fueled by the sort of week where you need to think about bringing the quitting day forwards, or start coming up with an alibi for multiple homicides

[mention=23708]bigmandazz[/mention]
    Last edited by Crobbo; 28-06-2017, 04:24 PM.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

A friend of mine drives Uber after work... so about 4-5 hours from 8pm till 1am.
      He said normal night he probably get about $100-150 in his pocket after covering fuel, and incidental expenditures.
      Week days tend to be very quiet, while weekend obviously can get a bit busy..

not enough money to make a living out of, but ok for additional income.
      "Always look at where you want to go, never at where you are afraid to go" - My riding instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
        @bigmandaz
        I think you need another Z in there Crobbo..

Comment

Uber-X

Weekdays gross fares = $20 an hour (optimistic)
          Weekends gross fares = $35 an hour (optimistic)

Out of that gross fare:-

Uber commission = 25%
          GST = 10%
          Fuel and running costs estimate = 10%

Nett to you = 55% of the gross fare

Translates to :-

Weekdays = $11 per hour
          Weekends = $19.25 per hour

That does not include any income tax you may have to pay.

Note that to be legal now you need:-

*Omnibus license for the car requiring annual over the pits inspections
          *ABN
          *GST Registered business
          *F-Class endorsement on your license requiring annual medicals

My experience based on some 4000 trips over the last two years.

Hope that helps you to decide.

Comment

Some of them make some pretty dodgy moves.
            Eh girls?
            The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
            G T

Comment

from what I can tell, uber flood the market with drivers, to ensure they always have drivers on the road, but it saturates the market and people stop doing it - with perpetuates the circle. the only winner is uber.

Taxi drivers slow for me when I'm out walking at night on my lunch break in the city - they're literally trawling the streets there's so little work (unless they are sexual predators, I do look good in hotpants)

Comment

Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                Uber-X

Uber commission = 25%
                GST = 10%

Weekdays = $11 per hour

*ABN
                *GST Registered business

My uber driver was saying he was getting $42 on the weekend does 7 days and 12 hours
                "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

They all say different, I usually try ask each one I've jumped in to gauge as I contemplated doing it on the side.

There's many times they've said they headed out and got $0 because of the amount of cars on the road too so to make additional consistently may not be simple.
                  '13 YZF-R1 // '00 RZ Supra // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan (Resto Project)

Comment

In my experience what Hooligan said is on the money. Anyone else is lying or hasn’t done the maths.

Getting an F extension on your license takes about s month before you can start driving.
                    A few insurers will let you be insured for rideshare these days (sgio and Rac at least)

Extra car costs
                    Insurance class 3F ~$300 a year depending on the car
                    Annual inspection ~$80
                    Annual Charter vehicle fee ~$275
                    Plus the extra wear and tear on your car.

Early mornings used to be a really good earner for me back when I first started getting around $45 per hour gross but the market is now so saturated with drivers that it’s hard to get more than one or two trips a morning. I have it in when the weather started getting colder as I was going out for 6 -10 hours and only getting between 0.75-1 trips per hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a look through the Uber forum: https://uberpeople.net/forums/Perth/

Driving for Uber is as close to slavery in the western world that you'll get.

Most drivers don't last for more than a few months. Very, very high turnover.

Passengers can be arseholes and get away with it - other drivers let them do whatever they want, so the passengers expect to smoke, eat food and have open alcoholic drinks in your car.

There are plenty of Uber scams. Some passengers have worked out how to get rides for free. eg A guy sends his girlfriend home from his place, using his Uber account. As his phone doesn't leave the location, he complains to Uber that he wasn't picked up, and so Uber cancels the payment.

Really vindictive passengers will email Uber and say that you smelled like you were drunk, resulting in Uber deactivating you straight away. Good luck sorting that one out.

Because of the low income, the DOT setup costs (around $1,000) will take a while to recover.

Don't even think about doing it without a dashcam that films inside your car, which is another expense to factor in.

ATO is all over it with GST and income tax, so you have to allow for those. Uber is now providing payment information directly to the ATO.
                      One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

One charged in Sydney with sexual Assault
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Pfft...anything they can do, we can do better...

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/perth...-ng-b88520156z

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/pe...27-gwz8y1.html
                          One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.

Comment

Driving transperth buses, taxis, uber or managing a McDonalds store are all much the same, your customers have zero respect for you, your profession and your workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Phildo View Post
                              Have a look through the Uber forum: https://uberpeople.net/forums/Perth/

Driving for Uber is as close to slavery in the western world that you'll get.

Most drivers don't last for more than a few months. Very, very high turnover.

Passengers can be arseholes and get away with it - other drivers let them do whatever they want, so the passengers expect to smoke, eat food and have open alcoholic drinks in your car.

There are plenty of Uber scams. Some passengers have worked out how to get rides for free. eg A guy sends his girlfriend home from his place, using his Uber account. As his phone doesn't leave the location, he complains to Uber that he wasn't picked up, and so Uber cancels the payment.

Really vindictive passengers will email Uber and say that you smelled like you were drunk, resulting in Uber deactivating you straight away. Good luck sorting that one out.

Because of the low income, the DOT setup costs (around $1,000) will take a while to recover.

Don't even think about doing it without a dashcam that films inside your car, which is another expense to factor in.

ATO is all over it with GST and income tax, so you have to allow for those. Uber is now providing payment information directly to the ATO.
                              Originally posted by Hooligan View Post
                              Uber-X

Uber commission = 25%
                              GST = 10%

Weekdays = $11 per hour

*ABN
                              *GST Registered business

Originally posted by GTSam View Post
                              In my experience what Hooligan said is on the money. Anyone else is lying or hasn’t done the maths.

Getting an F extension on your license takes about s month before you can start driving.
                              A few insurers will let you be insured for rideshare these days (sgio and Rac at least)

Extra car costs
                              Insurance class 3F ~$300 a year depending on the car
                              Annual inspection ~$80
                              Annual Charter vehicle fee ~$275
                              Plus the extra wear and tear on your car.

Early mornings used to be a really good earner for me back when I first started getting around $45 per hour gross but the market is now so saturated with drivers that it’s hard to get more than one or two trips a morning. I have it in when the weather started getting colder as I was going out for 6 -10 hours and only getting between 0.75-1 trips per hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Cheers for all the detail gents and for all the replies in general

GST/tax I'm not worried about, registered and have an overall plan in place for all that stuff. Dashcam in/out I have too which is a plus. Good to know about the scams, something to be wary of.

Wary of getting morons and general piss takers, guess it comes with the terretory but I spose I'll be doing it infrequently enough to not be too bothered about it.

Things like wear and tear I'm not bothered about as its a car that I was otherwise going to get rid of cheaply enough and can do any minor maintenance myself.

rates/hour are the hardest thing, people seem to have a real big range of whats possible. I've heard anything from hooligan's figures up to and beyond $50/hour so its hard to establish weather the $600/year of costs will be made back in one week or ten.. I spose they're all offset against the income pre any tax deductions which speeds it up, if $35 gross is doable then I suppose it'l be back within a long weekend give or take?

If the 20/weekday 35/weekend is achievable then I'll give it a punt and sign up - chances are I might not even need to uber at all but if I hit a slow patch it'l be an easy to pick up funds and not have to worry too much I guess

Maybe its worth asking where you guys normally frequent too? in terms of CBD or inner/further away suburbs? I'm a little while from the city and I know I tend to spend $60-100 on an uber relatively regularly which works out to generally be $30 cheaper than a cab. There may/may not be many people who do the same, but I guess if someone does get one of those that's up to $75 in their pocket before tax and expenses etc for a 45 minute trip (assuming they work wherever they end up rather than head back straight away). Usually takes me a decent enough while to get a lift too.

If closer to the city is the only way then I guess I have to factor in a bit of fuel for a commute etc into the mix.

Do any of you take on rides on the side? ie being a SCV and set up appropriately, I'm guessing there's nothing to stop me from setting up 'jaw's driving services' and pre-booking trips for a fixed fee etc? airport runs, city runs, runs down south or whatever without relying on uber? Obviously wouldn't come across a hell of a lot of work that way but anythings a bonus I guess? Just thinking out loud..

Has anyone done Uber Select/Black and can comment on those rates? I've never really known of anyone to actually use either so wonder if there's actually any point in that, more out of interest. I guess given the reduced age requirements the depreciation alone would probably make that a case of chasing pennies with dollars

Comment

Working...
                              X