Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you decide to start motorcycling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What made you decide to start motorcycling?

Just curious. There's a pretty diverse crowd here on PSB. What was it, that made you decide to take up the risky/expensive/antisocial sport of murdercycling?

Did a friend ride a kickass motorbike that you thought was cool?
    Did you watch 'long way round' a few too many times?
    Already interested in mechanical stuff and bikes are part of that?
    Is it just the entry ticket to join the gypsy jokers?
    Or just a good excuse to wear assless chaps...

Aside from the last reason, for me it was my friend taking a younger wheel_of_steell for a VERY irresponsible hoon on the back of his zzr600. I'd never even been in a fast car before, and that 10-15 minute blast had me laughing and crying at the same time. I was blown away, pretty scared, but also convinced this was something I had to try for myself. Never looked back from there.
    Originally posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Watching Anthony Gobert's double victory at PI in 1996...

Went out the very next day to HH and bought an AGV Gobert replica before I even had my learner's permit

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Rest in Peace
    Brother Ryad

Comment

The need to get from A to B on apprentice wages forced me into 250cc commuting in the late 80s.

Comment

me. always wanted to get on a motorbike but never really had the motivation.
        allways rode bikes around the farm in kojonup and wagin.

wasnt until i lost my licence for an extended period and couldnt afford the car rego that gave me the push to jump on a bike and havent looked back since.
        Originally posted by Paraletic
        little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

My Dad, a long time rider, was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. The following day I got my learners, booked my first lesson and passed my R-E a few weeks later. (I had ridden a dirt bike around the bush as a teen, always planned to get my license and a road bike but never got around to it)

Sadly, his condition didn't improve enough for him to be able to get back on his bike again.

My own real life example of why you shouldn't put things off.

Comment

Originally posted by Water pig View Post
            late 80s.
            Spotto.

For me, my old man retired and started doing trips with his high school buddies. Around Australia, across the USA and so on. I got a bike so we could ride together.

Comment

apart from always mucking around on quads and farm bikes

#1 - street parking and carpark prices in west perth vs free parking for bikes in the building I was in at the time
              #2 - Too heavy to ride a 50cc scooter
              #3 - Was hoping all the wimmens would be lining the streets to throw panties at me, in reality its the grannies with the garden hose

turns out I just fucking enjoyed it and enjoyed a clarity of thought while riding I don't currently get to experience

Originally posted by boeman View Post
              Spotto.

For me, my old man retired and started doing trips with his high school buddies. Around Australia, across the USA and so on. I got a bike so we could ride together.
              And this is my long term dream with my two boys
              Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

i was born a rider, the old man had road, dirt & a shop before i was born. it was inevitable, even since i left school all i have done is one job in the motorcycle industry.. i did get a job as a parts guy at CJD once but got scared of change & didnt take it lol

rode dirt all my life, only in recent years did i discover the joys of riding on the street :-)

Comment

My Dad was a Hoon.
                  I decided to improve the family reputation.

Comment

My dad and my uncles had original WLA Harleys and Indians from WW2, salvaged from when the yanks stationed at the Catalina base just parked them up and went home. Some of my earliest memories are being down in the work shed and "helping" him rebuilding them at night. Loved it. Learnt to ride around age 7-8.

It was never a decision, it just kinda happenned It would have been a decision NOT to motorcycle
                    I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

-

Comment

My father had always had various MC's off and on from when I was a very small boy mainly because he wasn't particularly skilled so they were a cheap 2nd mode of transport
                        I occasionally got a ride round the block as pillion which was nice but never really made me "desire" a MC

Wasn't really till my late teens when my younger brother and his mate had gotten old MX bikes to ride in the pines that I got one to join them that I really developed an enjoyment of riding

Did the dirt bike thing for a few years even after having a car licence which again I only really got out of necessity that I started to develop an interest in riding a bike on the road

Originally wanted an XR600 to combine the off-road and road but the 250cc restriction stopped that and an XR250 was too small and under sprung for my size so ended up buying my first XS250RK which I had intended only to own for the year till I got a bigger licence but ended up having and riding the shit out of for 3 odd years because I couldn't afford to upgrade

Replaced that with an 83 CB750F with 900 motor which again I had for many years, doing over 100k on and crashing/fixing a few times until the last crash when it got sold off as I'd just met my missus and couldn't afford the time and money to fix it

Fast forward ~10 years and with a change of job and longer distances to work with an expensive to run vehicle (79 F100 with worked 351C) and the missus being bike friendly and knowing how much I wanted a bike again urged me to get one to "commute" on, don't think she expected me to get a bike like the Bird though
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

My grandfather is a Meanie and would always ride around winding up the cops on his Green klackazaki. I decided to follow in his footsteps, but with Euro bikes because they're better than Jap Crap
                          Rest in Peace

Comment

At 14 yrs I rode a push bike. A friend gave me a ride around the village rose gardens on his BSA Bantam. It was thrilling a lovely little tar seal circuit that allowed foot peg scraping. I was hooked I soon bought that Bantam, I read up everything I could find on riding and sat my licence at 15. I was addicted. For all those that grizzle about riding a 250 for a first bike the Bantam was good for around 65 kph tail wind down hill.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
                            My grandfather is a Meanie and would always ride around winding up the cops on his Green klackazaki. I decided to follow in his footsteps, but with Euro bikes because they're better than Jap Crap
                            Your Grand Father is a Green Meanie and destroyed one cops sense of humour that I know of.
                            Last edited by Graelin; 23-05-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graelin View Post

Your Grand Father is a Green Meanie and destroyed one cops sense of humour that I know of.
                              Rest in Peace

Comment

Working...
                              X