GTWTK, clutch cable lubrication.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTWTK, clutch cable lubrication.

I'm installing a brand new clutch cable and wanted to consider the options of various types of cable lubricant.
    Thinner light machine oils will give less drag but need more frequent lubrication.
    C'mon help me overthink this...
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

If cable has teflon liner use PTFE lube...not WD40

Light engine oil is ok as well..
    " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Chain lube and one of these.
      -

Comment

Definitely use the cable luber as above, definitely don’t use chain lube. Chain lube is designed to be sticky thick shit. Go for dry lube from a pushy shop

Comment

INOX is where its at.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
            Chain lube and one of these.
            Thank you Sir I do indeed have one of those, just what I'm going to put through it is now the burning question.
            I have just purchased an OEM 80's Harley-Ferguson cable so I don't think it's Teflon lined. Like all things Harley it's agricultural and industrial strength...
            Now that I'm an old fart I need to be considerate of the power needed to pull the clutch lever in repeatedly. I do so love the hydraulic clutch lever on the Triumph because it's butter soft for these arthritic hands...
            Inox is a definite maybe at this stage, what ever I put through the still dry cable once will be what i use for the rest of the cable's length of service. Afterall I don'yt want any kind of reaction between different products...
            G T

Comment

Run it dry
              Stainless wire
              Barnet or Serco?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk
              " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

Last time I checked, the manual specified engine oil, or $pe$ific $able lube. ($$)

My question is, using one of those cable lubers, how can you get engine oil in there? I have an oil squirter can and the tip doesn't fit into the cable luber. So I've just used wd40 with the handy red extension tube.
                Originally posted by devolved
                I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Comment

Originally posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
                  Last time I checked, the manual specified engine oil, or $pe$ific $able lube. ($$)

My question is, using one of those cable lubers, how can you get engine oil in there? I have an oil squirter can and the tip doesn't fit into the cable luber. So I've just used wd40 with the handy red extension tube.
                  Getting the oil is actually very easy, it's an old school trick, cut the corner out of a plastic bag and slip it over the cable use a rubber band to seal off the cut end fill with some oil lift that up and let gravity do the work when oil comes out the bottom the job is done. This is why my clamp on lubrication attachment is yet to be used.
                  G T

Comment

Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
                    Getting the oil is actually very easy, it's an old school trick, cut the corner out of a plastic bag and slip it over the cable use a rubber band to seal off the cut end fill with some oil lift that up and let gravity do the work when oil comes out the bottom the job is done. This is why my clamp on lubrication attachment is yet to be used.
                    GT, I tried that method, good theory but I could never get it done cleanly. I think whoever came up with it has shares in the degreaser industry.
                    Originally posted by devolved
                    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

Comment

fuck lube.. its over rated.. treat em mean keep em keen

Comment

Originally posted by wheel_of_steell View Post
                        GT, I tried that method, good theory but I could never get it done cleanly. I think whoever came up with it has shares in the degreaser industry.
                        Remove lever and have clutch cable pointing up gravity is your friend, doesn't need buckets and buckets of oil.
                        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

All the lube in the world is not going to help if it's bent.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by agrid View Post
                            All the lube in the world is not going to help if it's bent.
                            Or frayed...
                            G T

Comment

... because its bent.
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X