SWTK What was your frst vehicle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWTK What was your frst vehicle.

Gratuitously stolen from a social media post by an (ex?) forum member (if still active here, he'll know who he is )

What was your first vehicle that you hit the road and (more so back in my day than now) the travails of motoring - 2 wheels or 4.

My own was a 1900cc Torana that had been retreived from a river with drum brakes on all four wheels. This was my step-father's first attempt to kill me. Hard corners would have muddy water spilling out of the vents, hard braking would have random wheel lock-ups, the exhaust fell off, and at one point the gear lever actually came off in my hand. It turned out to be a survivable trial by fire, and I even managed to change a timing chain at 17 without help or the benefit of the Interwebs.

Turned it into a chick-magnet by bending the exhaust out into a straight thru side-pipe, painting the wheel trims white (it was the 80s), fitting a killer stereo with bookshelf speakers taking up the back seat, and pretending that dodgy handling and wheel lock-ups were me being a bad-ass.

Pic is an illustration, not the actual junk I was benighted with

So, your own virgin vehicular experiences?

Cost $400 and was like driving a boat

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post

Identical... wanted a Torana... got a Sunbird.
      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Mitsubishi Colt that i brought off my Dad for $500

was great back when i was 18, only lasted about 6months until some of the local guys put oil on a nasty corner & she slid straight into a tree

so i brought a '85 XF Falcon 5 speed manual off the clock no worries, first vehicle i lost my license in lol think i ended up crashing this one and crashing the 4 speed i brought after

i brought a S pack 5 speed wagon a few years back to show my kids how awesome they were... blew a rod lol

Comment

first car was a cream colour 1979 toyota corolla sedan 4spd manual. wicked little car. drove to roko to gozzy on a couple bux of fuel and never missed a beat.
          Originally posted by Paraletic
          little end bearing. best describes as the sound of 'A little black man with a hammer in your engine'. big end sounds like a bigger black man...

Comment

1975 Fiat 124 Sport. Picture for reference - mine was the same colour.

1.8 litre twin cam, belt drive engine designed by Aurellio Lampredi of Ferrari and (in different guises) winner of World Rally Championships in the Fiat 131, 037 and Lancia Delta Integrals. discs all round, monocoque chassis

Bought in 1996 with a little rust. Thrashed to race 2 litre Geminis, Suzuki GTis and Twin Cam Corollas. Its road days ended when I'd neglected it enough that it was damaged and unsafe to drive, so I turned it in to a project car.

Never finished it. Learned a massive amount about mechanical design, restoration skills and contacts from it. Have bought several others since and currently own a 1968 model that's going to compete with the current crop of non-turbo 86s etc.
            Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
            1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

HQ wagon like this one, 173 cube straight 6, 3 speed manual, bench seat, steering wheel. great for putting windsurfers and sails rigs on /in, surf boards on / in, bass amp in, friends in, chicks in. sleeping overnight and with some limited off-road ability at speed with tyres down after that i had a few of them including a hx that was so rusted ( as it was parked on a beach 3-4 hours a day) and bad the wreckers wouldn't take it for free as it had "nothing of value mate", i said it had a working battery and a new water pump 6 months back and he said "he would never know as he was too scared to lift the bonnet again".

first 2 wheels, same as this, i used to borrow my brothers bike and ride it to my friends houses over the other side of town, started around year 10 of high school, never ever got caught, no one cared or questioned it
              I cant help it if your perceptions don't match my reality

Comment

Originally posted by Skut View Post
                Gratuitously stolen from a social media post by an (ex?) forum member (if still active here, he'll know who he is )

What was your first vehicle that you hit the road and (more so back in my day than now) the travails of motoring - 2 wheels or 4.

My own was a 1900cc Torana that had been retreived from a river with drum brakes on all four wheels. This was my step-father's first attempt to kill me. Hard corners would have muddy water spilling out of the vents, hard braking would have random wheel lock-ups, the exhaust fell off, and at one point the gear lever actually came off in my hand. It turned out to be a survivable trial by fire, and I even managed to change a timing chain at 17 without help or the benefit of the Interwebs.

Turned it into a chick-magnet by bending the exhaust out into a straight thru side-pipe, painting the wheel trims white (it was the 80s), fitting a killer stereo with bookshelf speakers taking up the back seat, and pretending that dodgy handling and wheel lock-ups were me being a bad-ass.

I had a UC Torana Hatchback at 18, wasn't my first car but it was exactly the same experience as yours haha. Had a worked 202 red motor, simplest engine ever!! When I bought it it had 305 Eagers all round and not only were they cop bait they were lethal in the wet. Fucking loved that car, sold it to follow my dick to the Pilbara but the car would have lasted longer.
                Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

71 VW Kombi. Started out as a Microbus, I converted it to a camper, probably worth $150 000 now......sigh.

I was also long-haired, ponytailed vegan and pretend surfie/communist, rode an R100. It's a dark period in my life I don't talk about much now.

Comment

Had one of these bad boys. Seats went flat so ideal for surf trips and sleeping in after parties and driving home the next morning. Had it for most of my apprenticeship and loved it. Took it to 300,000km and sold it.

Best feature was a button behind the handbrake that locked or unlocked the boot for letting my mates chuck their boards in. Decked it out with standard teenage sound system. I surfed a large portion of the WA coastline with this car, and slept in it after my first state title and many beers. Many feels.

Comment

https://mathewsons.co.uk/images/dire...7/IMG_0891.JPG
                      Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Pagron moped. It doesn't get much worse..

Comment

Originally posted by pnork View Post
                          Pagron moped. It doesn't get much worse..
                          It does , I had a dark green Datsun 120y hatchback.
                          A lot of good surf trips south and north, pretty sure you could smoke the interior for residual gains

Comment

Austin A35 it lasted about three weeks before I rolled it.
                            The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
                            G T

Comment

First car : Volvo 144 (same as pic). Lasted 6 months before I took a mates challenge to see how far I could jump it. Turns out 45 meters @ 85 mph. Broke it in two from the front firewall. Awesome car and probably only reason I’m still here to write this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X