Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Kerosene

Has anybody cleaned kero before?

ie filtered it before re using? If so, how so?

Kerosene is a slightly lighter cut of diesel.

Anything that works for diesel will work for kero and similarly bio diesel.

Plenty of people turn fish and chip oil into bio diesel so that would be a decent place to start.
    In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

What sort of volume are you looking at?? I would suggest some sort sort of offline filtration unit, we test kero and part cleaning machine fluid cleanliness here at work and see plenty of places doing the before and after testing.

If you looking at any sort of decent amount, contact someone like Hydac or Mining and Hydraulic Supplies in Malaga who have the CJC range of filter units, brilliant bits of gear we used to use offshore for removing water from hydraulic oil. Won't be cost effective for small volumes though.
      Last edited by Geeman; 02-08-2018, 09:25 AM.
      Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

What's the context?

Like: how much, how often, what is it being used to do before and after?
        Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
        1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

I just use my centrifuge. when I'm not using it to enrich uranium

Comment

You can buy filters online that bio diesel users use They start at 5 microns down to 1 micron...which is overkill for bio diesel. The quickest way to do it is fit the three filters, 5, 3 and 1 micron together rather than filtering through each one seperately as shown in a one youtube I saw.
            Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
              What's the context?

Like: how much, how often, what is it being used to do before and after?
              small volumes..centrifuge ideas not applicable!

I have some kero which I pour from a sealed container into a parts washer. Once done the kero goes back into the sealed conatiner but after not too long the kero is black.

Just looking for cheap cost effective ways to remove most of the light residue which is suspended in the kero. Sometimes the slightly dirty kero doesn't clean as well as possible.

Diesel filters sound promising but cost may be a barrier. Will look into it.

Comment

sounds like you need filtration, are there flocculants that can be used with hydrocarbons?

Comment

Unless you already have access to it, for small volumes the cost of any sort of filtration will kill you, will be much cheaper to just replace the kero unfortunately.

Could always just make up some pipe and funnel feeding into a diesel fuel filter to gravity feed it through. Rough but about the only cost effective way I would think.
                  Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

"The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

Comment

a good excuse to make fires

Comment

If econut, yes. Let it sit for a month to settle and decant off the clear. Otherwise 5 then 2 micron filter. Waste of money.

If not-econut cheaper to buy more kero and what [MENTION=75528]dwillia[/MENTION] sed.
                      The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

wash change burn repeat, that how i did it back in the workshop days

the old kero was good for getting the incinerator going, i remember me & my high school mates would use old kero to start a drum fire then blow all the old cans of CRC, paint, chain lube, brake clean etc up on a friday night. simpler times.. would prob have enviro groups protesting out the front these days
                        Last edited by Hillz; 02-08-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

6ft soakwell out the front gets all the beer/wine/spirit dregs before bottles go into the recycle bin.

Attracts hundreds of big cockroaches for a periodic bonfire genocide fuelled by waste solvents.
                          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Coffee filter paper would be good for doing low volumes. Depending on how dirty you may need to replace the papers every litre or two etc.

Comment

The filters I spoke about are used by the bio diesel people and they produce the stuff in quantity...probaby 90 litres a month or so from use cooking oil. This would be an ongoing thing so the filter costs are easily recouped. they buy them online...as to cost I havent looked into it yet as my diesel is still under warrenty and I dont want the odd chip to block the injectors up so Mazda can refuse to fix it...
                              Smoke me a kipper...I'll be home in time for breakfast

Comment

Working...
                              X