Living in a commercial property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in a commercial property?

You know those smallish 2-400sq metre "industrial" units in a block of however many, with a big roller door access, and a small office with a mezzanine floor above - are you legally allowed to fit out the office / mezzanine and live in it? I'm moving back to Perth soon, and bringing all my stuff with me this time. Could buy a house, but a house has too much house and not enough garage for my requirements. I need more garage and less house.

It depends on the zoning of the land, which will determine whether you can live permanently in the commercial building or not.

This zoning information can be obtained by contacting the council in the area you're looking at.

The areas you're looking at will most likely be deemed light industrial and there's a good chance the answer will be no.

Whether you get caught or not is different story. It's not illegal if you don't get caught!

Comment

Often wanted to do this myself. I believe by definition you can not legally in this state have a "commercial" property as a residence.

You can apply to have rezoned/classified but if it's in an industrial area I don't fancy your chances.
      Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Apply for a hotel licence?
        Note: this may not be the universe where the above is relevant.

Comment

Easily sorted.

"The property requires 24 hour security"

And because of that rest facilities.

It may or may not be legal. But I doubt you'd ever be caught.

Your neighbours would love that you're there overnight for security of their property.
          Last edited by Crobbo; 20-09-2018, 09:24 PM.
          In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Assume Full Time Security Status...charge him (you ) back to You and claim as a tax deduction, while being 'on site 24/7' to protect the premises..
            ( charge surrounding units a pro rata to secure their premises too..get a Sec. Lic..win win)
            " Imagination is the seed of life..."

Comment

I know a few people that have done it.

Not sure about the legalities of it though.

Comment

Like most things it is fine unless something goes wrong.

Most of those units are strata setups and are insured as such as commercial use.
                They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

It can legally be done on a property with an accepted 'non conforming use' as a residence in a commercial and /or industrial area.

Pretty rare, an example is where a rezoning from residential to commercial use occurs with an existing resident in a property within the rezoned area. I live in one as does my neighbour, in a property that also has an approved commercial use as a car park for a business nearby.

Councils are not going to kick people out of their homes. Anyone remember the woman living in the house in Freo surrounded by shipping containers?

To do it legally anywhere else, find a suitable property in a mixed use zone and check the Shire's local planning scheme that the property can be used for a residence.

Or just do it until someone pulls you up on it Helps if you have another address as your residential address and you stay there sometimes.
                  The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

The real question is:

When arriving at your commercial unit with a lady-friend; would you find the screaming, mace or fingernails more painful when you asked her to come in?
                    Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                    1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

as long as no one complains to the shire & has proof you are living there it will never be a problem.

for about 5 years in the mid 90's i lived in motorcycle shop, was great times for a teenage boy. my dad use to go away every 2nd weekend so me & the mates would run riot

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                        The real question is:

When arriving at your commercial unit with a lady-friend; would you find the screaming, mace or fingernails more painful when you asked her to come in?
                        Just tell her about the bespoke 2 pack concrete floors and how you hand picked the flake.

Open plan living and upstairs lounge(mezzanine).
                        In sterquiliniis invenitur.

Comment

Is it legal? No.

Can you do it without being caught very easily? Yes.

A ceiling fixer of mine went through a divorce and lived in his for 18 months, 0 issues minus it being cold/hot as fuck until he got a little split system put in.

Comment

Originally posted by Loud View Post
                            The real question is:

I usually hear muffled screaming through duct tape, or the peaceful compliance of drug intoxication when I bring new friends home
                            Rest in Peace

Comment

As touched on above, if it's a commercial zoned area, then it's big no, but not a flat out no.
                              Justify the need for security, have a security licence and apply to council for accommodation for onsite security purposes.

*Former council information person who gave this advise out regularly.

Or just do it....
                              Most businesses appreciate the extra security, and won't kick up a stink.

If I moved back to Perth I'd be looking to do the same and just not tell anyone.
                              Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                              One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                              . .

Comment

Working...
                              X