Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AWTK WA Holden performance car engine builders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AWTK WA Holden performance car engine builders

    I'm looking at replacing the tired old red 186 motor in my hot rod and have seen a number of eastern states companies that offer complete engines. I don't drive the car all that often but would like something that looks and sounds outrageous. If it went well that would be a bonus but considering the car is limited in the stopping and cornering department I'm not overly worried about the going side of things. I've been looking at YouTube videos of red motors with a whole mess of carbies or a blower. I've been in touch with https://thetorqueteam.com/holden-sixes/ who are interested and helpful. The cost of sending an engine over here is only about $400 and I'm expecting to have to spend $10K but if the engine starts doing something strange it would be nice to take it around to the rebuilder. I had always planned on slipping a V8 in it but the licensing people managed to connected two databases and found my car that was registered in the '60s didn't have any details recorded. It had to go over the pits so now they know it has as 186 in it when it should have had a flat-head four.


    Something that looks and sounds like this maybe....

    -

  • #2
    No help here, but aaaah, that takes me back. What type of car is it, I'm guessing Torana? And another guess, it's supposed to have a 4 in it, HB? My first Holden was an FB PanelVan, with 186S & Traumatic, which I later swapped out for an Aussie 4 speed. The engine was quite mild (slightly lumpy cam, yella terra head & genie headers.) I remember buying a Holly 350 for it, but when I opened the box it came in, there was a 500 inside instead. I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was run by a guy named Peter? something in Midvale or Midland. But that was another age...

    Comment


    • #3
      So it has to be a 186?



      Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
      In sterquiliniis invenitur.

      Comment


      • #4
        Walkinshaw Performance on Miguel Rd Bibra Lake?

        No idea if they do what you are after but I used to drive past there every day for work and their name and logo sprang to mind.
        Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

        Comment


        • #5
          http://www.westracing.com.au/Page_Services/index.html
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pnork View Post
            No help here, but aaaah, that takes me back. What type of car is it, I'm guessing Torana? And another guess, it's supposed to have a 4 in it, HB? My first Holden was an FB PanelVan, with 186S & Traumatic, which I later swapped out for an Aussie 4 speed. The engine was quite mild (slightly lumpy cam, yella terra head & genie headers.) I remember buying a Holly 350 for it, but when I opened the box it came in, there was a 500 inside instead. I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was run by a guy named Peter? something in Midvale or Midland. But that was another age...
            Ha yep, I'm with you. My rod was built about 30 years before the Torana. Like you, in another car, I had a Holley 500 on a 308, it went like a shower of shit, but chewed through the gas so I went with a 600 with vacuum secondaries. It was the late 70s fuel crisis. I even tried water injection, 2.92 diff and electric fans to save a few bucks. Now I don't care.
            -

            Comment


            • #7
              Why not speak to the Gm club, or one of the hot rod clubs for recommendations, with that sort of budget you should be able to get a sweet 186, plenty of local builders with years of experience on these engines

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Crobbo View Post
                So it has to be a 186?

                Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
                The cops have never pulled me over since I started driving it in 1974 so it probably doesn't matter. But now that I have to carry that modification paperwork it might be a good idea to stick with the 186 or thereabouts. My dad did it up in the 60s and it has had a few engines, we used to just file off the engine numbers and stamp new ones on. It was the 70's when drink driving was frowned upon. There seems to be a lot of love for the 186 with the shorter stroke; but if a 202 work I would go for it. The car has an Aussie 4-speed.

                - - - Updated - - -

                Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                Walkinshaw Performance on Miguel Rd Bibra Lake?

                No idea if they do what you are after but I used to drive past there every day for work and their name and logo sprang to mind.
                Ima look them up. All my googling just came up with eastern states companies. I'm sure that there were speedway drivers like Jeff Pilgrim that did hot motors back in the day... (No I'm not Lil Boner).
                -

                Comment


                • #9
                  186 stroked to 208 was always the go to combo for the torana guys when I was less old than now

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Water pig View Post
                    Why not speak to the Gm club, or one of the hot rod clubs for recommendations, with that sort of budget you should be able to get a sweet 186, plenty of local builders with years of experience on these engines
                    There's a lot of wise words on the Oldholdden forum, but mostly eastern states oriented.
                    -

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Chuck a barra innit…

                      or for cred ford Crank/Stroker
                      " Imagination is the seed of life..."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'd suggest getting on to the histerical car racing club HR's and EH's used to be a thing, remachining the intake manifold and fitting two OEM carbs used to be a thing, I'm guessing yella terra don't do roller rocker exchange heads for it anymore. Its an old red they are not exactly complicated, getting alist of what you want done an a machinist in the same place at the same time can't be two hard. Port, flow, radial valve grind roller rockers and a bit of a cam, or find out what XU-1 spec was. The other thing is a 161 head bolts straight on if you want a bit more squish.
                        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A good mate of mine uses Muscle Car Garage for his restored XB Falcon and HD Holden, they just did an engine swap for him.

                          https://www.beardysmusclecargarage.com.au/

                          Always a fan of the old 186/202's. Glad I got to learn my way around an engine on them instead of the newfandangled electrickery.
                          Knowledge without mileage equals bullshit.

                          "The feelings mutual so kindly fuck off"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TurboR1 View Post
                            Walkinshaw Performance on Miguel Rd Bibra Lake?

                            No idea if they do what you are after but I used to drive past there every day for work and their name and logo sprang to mind.
                            Please dont go there. They're absolutely useless. Formula Tech are only a Walkinshaw dealer. Doesn't mean they're good

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nero Diablo View Post
                              I'd suggest getting on to the histerical car racing club HR's and EH's used to be a thing, remachining the intake manifold and fitting two OEM carbs used to be a thing, I'm guessing yella terra don't do roller rocker exchange heads for it anymore. Its an old red they are not exactly complicated, getting alist of what you want done an a machinist in the same place at the same time can't be two hard. Port, flow, radial valve grind roller rockers and a bit of a cam, or find out what XU-1 spec was. The other thing is a 161 head bolts straight on if you want a bit more squish.
                              Ha agreed. It actually has a 149 head on it at the moment. It used to go pretty well but is now very tired.
                              -

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X