Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More inner turmoil, seasonal riding. GTWTK heated gloves and vests.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More inner turmoil, seasonal riding. GTWTK heated gloves and vests.

I've been enjoying my 65 K (each way) commute but I can feel the mornings getting cooler, and I'm wondering about how to keep the cold out.
    Letting the cold in and going down the HTFU path is not an option any more these old bones would take half a day to thaw out.
    I've seen on Fakebook a heated vest and wonder about the possibility of those being worth the asking price. I'v seen heated gloves in NZ and wonder if they're available locally.
    So PSBer's have at it, serious replies and PI55 takers feel free your comments will be accepted in the spirit with which they are given.
    The only thing wrong with a perfect ride to work is that you end up at work.
    G T

Two pairs of good winter gloves. Wear one pair and carry the other pair for the ride home. Hate putting on wet gloves...

Thermals when it’s really cold...

I just use good quality plastic two piece rain suit over my normal work pants and textile jacket...

Comment

^^ pretty much what rich said.

Wet gloves suck. And all of them tend to get soggy. Don't believe the hype...
      Textile jackets, even supposedly "winter" ones leak. Get a plastic rain-suit to go over the top and you'll be much, much drier. And warmer, because it will block the wind as well.

Plastic rain suit will even work over your regular leather gear better than a textile rain jacket.

I want to try the plastic mittens to go over my gloves some time but these days i don't commute in the wet so much any more.

But yes, 2 pairs of gloves, definitely a good idea.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Have a cup of cement in the morning before you leave to harden the fuck up
        Rest in Peace

Comment

I bought a heated jacket and it is great just turn up the dial and keep warm. Less layers to wear as well as I don’t wear thermals under it. You can connect gloves too but my BMW winter ones do well. These gloves are a bit bulky for city riding. A tight fitting heated jacket is better for transmitting heat.

Brand Warm and Safe.

Comment

If you really feel the cold, I know a bloke who wears a light snow jacket of his summer jacket.

Snow jackets being what they are, waterproof, keep the cold and wind out. I reckon they’d get caught in the wind a bit and flap around some, but alright for a commute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
              Have a cup of cement in the morning before you leave to harden the fuck up
              Yay some young cunt who knows it all...
              Once you've had a fair bit of cement...
              Well I don't think you have yet, because those of who have know about a major side affect. I'm sure you've achieved a similar result but different all the same, yours occurred naturally not because of the cement.
              The question is do you know what I'm on about?
              Well do ya PUNK...
              G T

Comment

I found the heater in the car works great on cold frosty mornings
                In all seriousness, since i put on over 10kg i feel much less cold than i used to when i wasn't "round".
                Also, wind chill is the main cause of cold, eliminate that and much less difficult to deal with. I had a vstrom a while ago and other than lower legs, had zero wind chill. Was like being in a fkn bubble.
                yes, i am ignorant
                yes, i am a prick
                no, i don't care
                you make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
                  PI55 takers feel free your comments will be accepted in the spirit with which they are given.
                  Originally posted by Green Trident View Post
                  Yay some young cunt who knows it all...
                  Once you've had a fair bit of cement...
                  Well I don't think you have yet, because those of who have know about a major side affect. I'm sure you've achieved a similar result but different all the same, yours occurred naturally not because of the cement.
                  The question is do you know what I'm on about?
                  Well do ya PUNK...
                  I’m confused
                  Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanoceros View Post
                    I’m confused
                    Yeah you would be...
                    The cement regime causes constipation, which is a cunt of a way to be full of shit! I also told you HTFU wasn't an option.
                    Some are "naturally" full of shit...
                    G T

Comment

As a bit of background I'm a Kiwi so I know cold weather riding well enough, as you would after copping a bit hypothermia riding through the Lewis Pass when it was snowing. I used to ride a farm bike all the time in temperatures which are fair bit below what we get here.
                      My main concern is how best to protect aging joints form the effects of cold here, I've got arthritis in both wrists and tendonitis in one my knees are getting a bit shonky too. My main concern is my wrists and maintaining body core temperature for close to an hour between 0430 & 0530. I won't intentionally ride in the rain, especially on the ride to work.
                      G T

Comment

I saw hypothermia with a friend on the Nullarbor. He made a bad decision to carry on to Perth at Norseman, I was not good either and turned to Esperance and a motel room. After that I decided that being cold was dangerous in these long trips. Ice Breaker Thermals from NZ were my choice before the heated jacket.

I also did my apprenticeship riding in NZ all seasons.

Comment

https://www.zarkie.com.au/product/he...iABEgJEf_D_BwE

They do a glove and jacket liner as well as battery packs to avoid being wired to the bike.

Just linking because they may work with your existing gear rather than rekitting from scratch.

If you can keep your hands and core warm by adding heat to counter what the wind takes away your comfort levels should definitely increase
                          Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

We all had youthful exuberance once and I used to ride rain, hail or shine and would happily ride home from the hills in winter at 2am. Big deal, right? We all do that. Well, when most people are wearing a t-shirt I'm wearing 16 jumpers so one could say I was even more committed to the cause than those t-shirt wearing folk. In winter I ran out of room under my jacket so I wore a layer over the top. But, life happens, health issues happen, the body does age so the once youthful exuberance and indestructability is not as prominent.

I may start the winter commute soon so may look into a heated jacket. Finding gloves that fit my hands is a difficult task so not sure I'd be able to find heated ones that would fit (buying them online would be a lottery I'd be sure to lose), and I hate wearing oven mitt winter gloves so not sure what I'll do there. Heated bars a possibility but not likely something i'll do. Maybe I should have kept the R1 - that had massive amounts of radiant heat.

Comment

[MENTION=17003]filbert[/MENTION], what's stopped me buying heated stuff is not knowing the quality of the garment (i.e. do the heating elements fail after a few uses) and their purported battery life. Do you know these are quality items? There's a heap of heated items out there - hard to tell the quality from the crud.
                              I like the glove liners though - solves the glove fitting dilemma for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X