How to get a stolen phone back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a stolen phone back?

Had my phone pinched out of the bike today. I was standing 20m away but without direct line of sight onto it, someone walked past and relieved me of it. I tried calling it 30 minutes later but whoever has it, already turned it off. I need my specific phone back because it has a bunch of work contacts and message histories saved. So aside from the $$$ and hassle of replacing it, when I wipe the sim and remote erase the phone, I will lose some important information. Straight away, I locked it in google accounts, but how do you physically recover a phone?

So far I've tried:
    -google location history
    -search for that model of phone on ebay/facebook marketplace
    -searching the area it was stolen from incase they have flattened the battery and dumped it in the same place again

Any other ideas? Or inspiring stories?
    Originally posted by devolved
    I just crashed into a schoolbus full of kiddies, killed them all, raped them, set them on fire and now I'm pissing on their charred remains.

My son's Android phone got stolen from the front verandah while he was taking a piss. I tracked it with Fine My Device to a homeless park in the city. While he was talking to the cops I got my wife to drop me off. I was getting as close as I could to the device in some dodgy park in the city when the cops showed up. They said "give me the phone and get in the back" they drove around the corner and pulled some homeless guy over. Got the phone, laptop and tobacco pouch off the guy who said he brought all the stuff for $80 a few minutes previous. Didn't hear any more, but who cares, my son got his stuff back and now thinks I'm Liam Neeson.

I suspect the cops came so quickly because they thought this idiot old man was going to get himself stabbed. Turns out the perp had some mace in his bag.
    -

Comment

You make sure you have backups of important shit to protect against theft, hardware failure, accident, etc. next time.

If it's iOS find my iPhone can help. But sounds like it isn't.
      “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
        You make sure you have backups of important shit to protect against theft, hardware failure, accident, etc. next time.

If it's iOS find my iPhone can help. But sounds like it isn't.
        +1 on the backups
        Does iOS FMP still work when the phone has been turned off? Android phones can be located as well but only when turned on
        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
        Originally posted by Phildo
        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
        Originally posted by filbert
        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

If you haven't already done it, it might be time to tell Find My Device to erase everything next time the phone connects. I'd be changing all password in case they get in and started trawling through your emails, Facebook and, God forbid, PSB. The good thing is you now have the opportunity to post on PSB that girls want to have your babies because if your fully sick wheelies. And then say it must have been the person who stole your phone. A change from the little brother excuse.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X