Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWTK - Your beef jerky recipes!

Hi guy's

I have a food dehydrator and have about a kilo of topside with a maranate going at the moment. I havnt found much online so i need to know your secret recipes or places you find them!, what type of meat and cut you find best etc.

Thanks!

oh heck yeh id love to make my own jerky

Comment

MmMmMmMMmM

I will be your personal QA

Just to make sure it tastes ok before you eat it of course...

One of my friends usually just marinades it in one of those ready to rock packets, so I guess

just buy what you like, but pepper corns or chilli FTW !!!

Good luck let us know how you go with it

Comment

Fuck I love jerky. It's so god-damn bad for me...

I'm at work so not going digging around it at the moment, but the Somethingawful.com forums has a good dedicated cooking subsection and from memory there's a bunch of huge jerky fans in there with some recipes, drying boxes, methods, etc...

Have a look through 'Goons with Spoons': http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisp...php?forumid=161
        such comment
        wow
        many post

Comment

2004 Annual of Best of Busty Beauties.

Jerk beef.

(If I wanted to eat dried out meat, I'd go down on Nostar's mum.)

What is best in life? Troll the forums, see the threads derailed before you and hear the lamentations of the moderators.

Comment

2004 Annual of Best of Busty Beauties.

Jerk beef.

(If I wanted to eat dried out meat, I'd go down on Nostar's mum.)[/b]
            haha, start a thread or somethings guys

Comment

^... ha..

Actually home made jerky is great, but you really need to try it out a few tiems to get your own taste and preference, lots of salt is my only sugegstion!

But its 100000% better than store/pub/bottlo roadkill crap

Comment

roadkill is akin in taste and texture to bark.

Comment

^ oh god yeah, it's feral shit.

Scribble a mates got one them beggining year, hitting him up for his recipies

Comment

We use roo meat and cut it along the grain.

Lots of soy sauce, a bit of worsterchire, garlic and onion powder; cook in oven on low heat for about 12 hours = bob's your uncle
                    you eat ships
                    you taste wrong
                    you isolate and desolate
                    you are not home to man;
                    yours is the
                    subtlest beauty.

Comment

Cheers guy's looking good!

The marinade im trying atm is

1/4 cup soy sauce
                      1/4 cup worchestersomethng sauce
                      1t garlic powder
                      2t lime chilli powder
                      2t spicy spanish mix herb thingo
                      healthy splash of tabasco
                      splash of white vinegar

Smells really good in the dehydrator cheers cameron looking through the recipes now. Nostars that would be great. LaurenSOR if can come up with something that turns out anygood im sure i can make a batch one day to bring on a ride for snack's

Snowlady: how does roo meat go? a mate has offered to slaughter one for me. Is it chewier than beef?

Comment

Snowlady: how does roo meat go? a mate has offered to slaughter one for me. Is it chewier than beef?[/b]
                        Mmmm, fresh meat!! Chewiness just depends on how long you cook it for and if you have your tempertaure low enough - much like the moo cow
                        I highly recommend giving it a try
                        you eat ships
                        you taste wrong
                        you isolate and desolate
                        you are not home to man;
                        yours is the
                        subtlest beauty.

Comment

i'm going to be nice and give you my recipe ...

Ask Orson its good. My claim to fame is my jerky ... apparently Bunyack thinks its good (just quietly that was one of my worst batches that he ate so I don't believe him when he says its good )

anyway

I buy between 2.5 and 3kg's of topside to make mine. Ellenbrook woollies sell for about 7.99Kg.

cut meat into strips some with grain some against grain. Against the grain gives you crumbly bits and with the grain gives you chewy bits. I prefer cubing and doing also longer strips just to mix it up a bit.

3/4 cup soy
                          3/4 cup worcestershire
                          3/4 teaspoon of pepper. I stress use ground peppercorns or it won't flavour up.
                          3/4 teaspoon salt
                          3/4 teaspoon garlic. (I like to put more in)
                          tobasco sauce. (lots of. It actually doesn't flavour it up much)
                          Lots of chilli flakes. (again they don't actually flavour it up much but you'll find the right mix)
                          I then add all-purpose seasoning as well

stir up and marinate meat for 12 hours although 24 is much better. Be sure to turn your container around every couple hours.

When I start putting meat in the tray I also get ground pepper (black) and cover each tray of meat with that as well. This is where you get the REAL pepper flavouring from. Do 1 tray with and 1 without just to notice the difference.

You will find what you like by adding/dropping ingredients. This is what I find all my mates enjoy at our poker nights etc and i've never had anyone tell me it was too hot unless I put too much chilli flakes in.

if you want a good website try this

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/438/0.shtml

good luck and lets swap a bag or two here and there.

Comment

I'll volunteer for taste testing anytime....
                            Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

peri-peri biltong FTW. Best stuff I've had is the stuff from Protea Foods. I like it dry, not chewy.

Would love a decent peri peri biltong recipe. mmmm...
                              No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X