MWTK - The costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWTK - The costs

After taking up riding, ive been thinking. Theres a hefty price you have to pay for this enjoyment.

Bike 7k
    Bling 200
    gear 1200k
    helmet 400
    insurace (motor, health) 500
    service costs 500 +
    Rego 400?

so after two years of riding, it has cost me around 10k, minus the bike, thats 3k

not that bad compared to my car. But still, my wallet hurts.

So how much has it cost you? how much do you fork out per year for this passion? And finally, any tips on ways to keep going on the cheap

2 bikes, new gear etc in 12 months? I aint goin there.
    In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
    Its the little things that make the difference
    Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
    If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Been topics on this before, and no, I don't even want to think about it.

Comment

I wear about $2400 worth of protective gear, whenever I go for a ride. I'm too scared to add up how much I spend on servicing, bling, insurance, rego & other bits n bobs.

Comment

i hate to think... but after owning two bikes that refuse to work properly most of the time, they've cost me a fair bit

Comment

ive wasted a couple of grand on my bike. Dont care though, ill keep riding. Id only spend it on piss anyway
            If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

i hate to think... but after owning two bikes that refuse to work properly most of the time, they've cost me a fair bit [/b]
              1 word. KAWASAKI.

Comment

After taking up riding, ive been thinking. Theres a hefty price you have to pay for this enjoyment.[/b]
                2 x wives... dont even fuggin ask
                Real Men Ride Nakid
                http://www.streetfighters.com.au

Comment

It's strange, innit? Nobody bats an eyelid at a cashed up tradie spending $50k or more on a V8 taxi with a bodykit, that will be worth half that if you're lucky in 3 years.

But spend $20k on a bike and gear then people reckon you're being extravagant.

I don't count what I spend on bikes, they are my passion, so the money is well spent. But my favourite theory is comparing my hobby to golf, which is a monumental waste of time and money. You can spend thousands a year to wear ugly pants and chase a ball around a park. I chose to spend more wisely.
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

after sitting on one at the bike show (buell) i can see why people like em. think my license would be gone in the first week though lol

my bike on the other hand has costed 1000's in bling alone
                    Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

so after two years of riding, it has cost me around 10k, minus the bike, thats 3k[/b]
                      So it costs you $10k a year to keep a Hyosung on the road.

Comment

at the moment probably too much, If i earned more then not enough

Comment

Depends what you class as shit i guess. Although sometimes you have to take a step back to move forwards.
                          In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                          Its the little things that make the difference
                          Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                          If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Bike 15k
                            Spare fairing 800
                            Lid 300
                            Gear 600
                            Boots & Gloves 300
                            Reggo 300
                            Insurance 600
                            PC3 360 (is it here yet?)
                            Assorted PSB Merch 150
                            Servicing (ie oil, plugs, filters) 300
                            2nd gear 1000
                            Sprocket, chain 300
                            Compressor 70
                            Fuel - work on 40 a week, so 2000
                            Tyres - 3 months a set, so 2000
                            Stands and tools $200
                            Cruise control $70
                            PSB/Busa inflicted traffic fines 50 (touch wood)
                            ATC camera (only for the bike) $200

Now of course there are some one-offs in there, but other one-offs appear every year.
                            I've put 15,000km on the bike in the 9 months I've had it - so call it (at the same rate, knowing it'll go up in summer) 20,000 per year at the above expenditure.

If you just add up all the one-offs and not try and say "that's gonna last x years" and amortise because we all know that the spending habit will just find other things to buy...
                            $24,000 per year
                            $1.23 per kilometre.

If, for the sake of argument, we look at expenses only (rather than capex) and assume a 3 year life on everything else, we get a total of
                            $11800 per year
                            $0.59 per kilometre.

This is insanely much more than the whale cost, btw. But I don't care. It's my baby, riding it makes me happy and I reckon it's worth

every

single

cent.
                            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

But spend $20k on a bike and gear then people reckon you're being extravagant. [/b]
                              Depends - if it's your sole transport then yeah, $20k is about what most people (CUBs with V8s excepted) would spend on their daily driver. But if riding is a hobby, or you run a bike just for the thrill of riding when you can, it's a bloody expensive one.

This is actually the main reason why I don't ride - it's more money than I can justify for a toy, and that's what it'd be. My lifestyle and my sports (kayaking and orienteering) are both incompatible with having a bike as my only vehicle. As it is, kayaking costs me $1.5-2k a year in boats, gear and fuel; and I consider that to be a pretty expensive hobby.
                              It is worth remembering that when a person dies, his or her funeral contributes to the Gross Domestic Product, even though they are no longer there.
                              - David James

Comment

Working...
                              X