Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HWTK: Why do/don't you swim "between the flags"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HWTK: Why do/don't you swim "between the flags"?

It's coming in to summer and already I've heard a story at work about a person that should know better (the mother of a surf life saver) getting into trouble at a non-patrolled beach in Perth. She knew that it's safer to swim where it's patrolled and even safer between the flags but figured she was only going in to her waist, etc, etc.

So, do you swim between the flags?
    If so, is it only because of the life savers or because you feel they pick the safest, calmest part of the beach or something?

If you don't, why not?
    Does our beach culture give us an advantage over those poor Jap tourists that drown at Bondi every year?
    Are you better at swimming and therefore don't feel the need to swim between the flags?

Usual DWTK rules apply.
    Yes
    37.78%
    No
    62.22%
    2006 Yamaha R1SP;
    In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
    Amen, brother. Amen.
    My nemesis; Barfridge

i dont often swim atg beaches with flags, so i dont pay much attention to them
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Man don't tell me where i can swim!!

My Lungs My Choice!!!

I won't ask for sympathy when I drown!!

Comment

I don't swim at beaches with flags, and I generally avoid the coast anyways
        >>I like to play with snakes<<

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Comment

I grew up swimming out the front of my house on the coast. The Surf Club's policy of flag placement usually extended to "out the front of the club". The surf club was 300-400m north of the house. I never swam between the flags. And probably never will. I can see the need for a supervised area, but it's not a requirement for everyone.
          Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

im a strong swimmer, but if i ever get caught out in trouble, i'll be glad that i choose to swim between the flags.
            I recall a massive rip at trigg last summer and 10 or so peeps had to be rescued... shit happens.
            Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

No flags on beaches down my way. Plus the hydrodynamics of Cockburn Sound and Jervoise Bay aren't really conducive to rips and things forming.

Comment

I just go to the beach to get a tan and look awesome

Comment

Never go to beaches with surf lifesaving facilitys. Far too crowded for my liking.

Only go to beaches I can drive on.

My kids learnt to swim away from these areas and know the correct things to do in rips, but I usually don't let them in the water if I deem it too dangerous.
                  To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.

Originally posted by PSB Forum Software
                  Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.

Comment

i'm a strong swimmer and (even better) i know what to do if i get caught in a rip/cross current. Doing all those RLSS quals comes in handy sometimes.

Flags? We don't need no steenkin' flags.
                    Originally posted by zobo
                    I'd be more prolific in answering but I thought of a use for the othe

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                      Why are you whiter than me then?

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                        Wow that didn't work did it?

Oh snap Desmo.. Damn slow computer..
                        Last edited by Shai'tan; 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM.
                        >>I like to play with snakes<<

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                          Why are you whiter than me then?
                          Nga pls. I've got a killer drivers tan.

Comment

I don't go to the beach, sand fucks me off , and there's sharks in the water
                            Designed by a Genius.
                            Built by Craftsmen.
                            Ridden by a TWAT!

Comment

I swim between the flags because:
                              (a) people aren't allowed to surf/use jetskis between the flags. My head is a magnet for solid objects colliding with it. Not good when you're shoulder deep in water.
                              (b) Patrolled beaches generally have clean toilets, place to buy ice-creams, shaded area to eat said ice-cream, drinking water and less perverts (all this is handy when you take a toddler with you).
                              (c) Yes I'm a strong swimmer, smart too, etc etc, but shit happens, and they have first aid kits.
                              (d) I can't whinge about bloody kids of today all of the time, sometimes I give the little hoodlums something to do by supporting their clubs and the (volunteer) work they do.
                              (e) Always the hope there will be a shark alert and I will see it attack, or at the very least get on the six o'clock news as one of the dumb-looking innocent bystanders.
                              https://parodieslost.blog/

Comment

Working...
                              X