Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D(aise)WTK - if you could make road/hoon laws, what would they be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D(aise)WTK - if you could make road/hoon laws, what would they be?

Keep it serious peoples.

What laws would you make, and why?

I'll add my own tomorrow when I come back to work.
    Originally posted by vk6hgr
    My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

I'd require all hoons to take defensive driver training courses, so at least if they still hoon they'll be doing it more safely than before. I'd also make power (not engine capacity, anyone can just add a turbo to a small car) a restriction on the licencing system too - somewhat like motorbikes. Either that or have the 12 month/24 month period potentially waivered if they receive accreditation for several densive/advanced driving courses. Better defined laws and harsher penalties for people caught under the hoon law too - the current penalties are a joke.

I don't think the laws are the best way to handle it to be honest - you'd have to look at the root of the problem. Why do they hoon in the first place? I think that hoons just need somewhere they can go that's affordable to hoon around on - by affordable, something that costs less than their hoon tank of fuel. At least we have wednesdays down at Kwinana for dragging legally. The AHG track or Barbagallos, the two places i know of where you can take your car to turn corners, are anything but cheap to take your car out there, but everyone I know that has done it loses the will to race on open streets. This doesn't even take into account that you require your CAMS licence to race properly (which they give you advanced driver training on anyway). The CAMS licence is pretty expensive to keep renewing it/apply for it in itself. My sister has already spent at least $500 on her CAMS and a few days on the track (2 or 3 days + lessons and whatnot).

As for riders on bikes, I think seperate laws should apply to them. I'm not entirely sure what they would be though. When I think hoon, I think of some bogan in his car, not some squid on a bike, but you just know they're going to be grouped together.
    Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

None. Hoon laws are addressing the symptom, not the problem. I don't think training is the answer either, that'll just make the 'hoon' element even more confident - the argument that training increases risk-taking behaviour doesn't hold for the general populace, but for a group of people already inclined to take risks (ie. young males) I think it could go the wrong way.

The root problem is that there's too many bored idiots with enough money to buy powerful cars which they then want to use.
      It is worth remembering that when a person dies, his or her funeral contributes to the Gross Domestic Product, even though they are no longer there.
      - David James

Comment

Wait I had an awesome idea!

The government should buy cars of a generic type (fleet style, say corollas/astras some shitty 4 banger). When you get your P's you get given one of these cars by the government for free! When your P's are over you must hand back the car at no cost.

However if you have an accident, you owe the full cost of the car. Im talking any sort of accident. Oh and if you get caught being naughty, apply something strict also...

reckon the government could almost break even with this scheme whilst teaching P platers some lessons?

Comment

LAMS for cars and bikes.

Comment

^^wdgs^^^
            Originally posted by kyliejane
            benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
            Originally posted by harns
            Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

community service for hoons working in the morgue seeing what hoonish did to people (often innocent ones).

as for actual laws, i'd make hoon fines heavier on the money than points. let's be honest, people that are gonna do stupid things like that aren't usually the kind of people that will stop driving/riding without a license. they'll be on the road still. i'd make it money related - you start talking about fines in the several thousnad and then people might think.

plus as desmo mentioned - power to wight ratio limits for young drivers.

Comment

Vehicle seizure laws should be smoothed out so they arent so discriminating towards young drivers and so-called 'hoons'. This whole hoon circlejerking the press and the grey haired brigade carries on with is ridiculous. How many people have been killed on the roads because of a hooning hoon? How many have been killed by someone pissy driving or just being a careless twat? I bet there will be a bit of an imbalance with those stats toward the latter. Take for example that cockhead last weekend or whatever it was who got done for DUI 3 times in 24 hours but he didnt get his car impounded straight away - and he was driving under suspension too!! Now, I bet if he had have been doing a burnout and sober, his car would have been towed there and then.

Comment

Hoons again arent a problem. You fine the shit out of em. In states of america, you get charged by the feet of burnout you lay. Ive done "a" roller that destroyed one tyre in one go ... im sure thats a $10,000 fine , and isnt that what the govt wants ? . Money ?. Its ALL ABOUT REVENUE.

So you dont stop em driving, dont take away cars , just slug them fines that will make them hurt.

Hoon laws arent fair on the situation. I can buy a $300 Gemini and attempt to do a burnout and be found as guilty, and as punished as the next guy doing the same in a brand new top of the line HSV. Is that fair ?. I couldnt give a shit loosing a 300 car, he has finance on it, and will be making payments long after its crushed. While some may say "thats fair , shouldnt have been doing that in the first place", well then when someone pisses me off , i can get out and smash windows in and road rage ... cause im shitty , and thats what we do right ? ... when we dont like you, we crush your shit.

Hoon laws are a shit word, made up by a shit local govt, to try and kneejerk thier way into being popular. Mention a real fix and they run and hide ... sickening really.

You will never ever stop hooning as the idiots call it , its human nature.

Comment

I would bring in a law along the lines of the general roller skating sessions.
                    You have to keep to the limits and are regulated for 75% of the time, then for the rest they have an organised speed session with a free for all , all for the price of admission. Well thats how i ride and i think its fair.
                    Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

i agree with saf - until they build plenty of places to allow people to "express" their driving/riding ability, and also lift limits on freeways/highways to a more realistic value, then there will be no solution.

Comment

They'd also have to make it attractive to hoons to "express" their driving ability in those places as well - otherwise we're back to the Barbagallo/AHG track problem.
                        Dual sport riders do it in the dirt

Comment

I think, for those offences where a pineapple is actually warranted i.e. drink driving,
                          that ACTUAL RECTAL PINEAPPULAR INSERTION would be a far better deterrent than cancellation of your piece of paper...
                          "No machine has a soul until a man shares his own with it."

Comment

[quote=Juffy;657452]None. Hoon laws are addressing the symptom, not the problem. I don't think training is the answer either, that'll just make the 'hoon' element even more confident - the argument that training increases risk-taking behaviour doesn't hold for the general populace, but for a group of people already inclined to take risks (ie. young males) I think it could go the wrong way.
                            quote]

I'd say part of that training should involve getting up close and personal with some victims of road accidents in the morgue.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenchi View Post
                              They'd also have to make it attractive to hoons to "express" their driving ability in those places as well - otherwise we're back to the Barbagallo/AHG track problem.
                              The problem with Wanneroo is that its a rat trap that should have been canned as a "race track" years ago, and made a driver training / club style race track thats easy and accessable to the public. Not 200bux an hour.

The problem with AHG is that its a great thought, that is now a cash cow. They run joy rides there in V8's for MASSIVE dollars, and it has gone form a great idea into a money making machine.

The govt needs to fund and support venues that are not privately owned, but perhaps privately run.

Comment

Working...
                              X