MWTK - Shelving books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWTK - Shelving books

i have quite a few books. i suddenly have reason to re-shelve them all (my parents are moving house and selfishly don't want to move all my old shit too ). So the question is this:

How do i shelve them? Purely alphabetical by author? By genre isn't a valid choice in this case 'cos they're pretty much all Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

What do i do with the stoopid large format paperbacks (and a pox on the marketing "genius" who came up with the additional intermediate stage between hardback and paperback and in doing so forced me to spend literally years of my life in a battle between my need to know what happens next and my need to have all my books looking the same)? Just throw then in the mix?

What about series by different authors, like, say, Star Wars books?

i know at least some of you are OCD freaks like me. How do i make this both neat and elegant?
    Originally posted by zobo
    I'd be more prolific in answering but I thought of a use for the othe

I have the bigger books at the ends of the shelves - primarily because they're heavier and the shelves aren't good quality. Other books are then in there however they'll fit. I do tend to cluster the books by the same author together though.
    Ironically despite my CDs and DVDs being alphabetised - my books aren't. I wonder why that is? How weird. Probably because they're easier to recognise. I alphabetise my CDs coz I have so many and it makes them easier to find.

Although - If I did it they'd likely be done the same way as my CDs... In chronological order rather than alphabetised. Alphabetised by author; then in order of release. I'd put the series together too. If I needed a place to fit them chronologically I'd go by the first book in the series (In case they released other books in between the series ones.)

Wow - I think about these things way too much.
    Last edited by Ice; 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM.
    "Look wise guy, I know I'm a racer, I can feel it in my code."

Comment

yep, I'm OCD when it comes to this

Author, then by series and the number, then by title (my Dark Tower series takes pride of place though)

And I'm the same with my Empire magazine collection. gotta be in numerical order!!!
      Originally posted by vk6hgr
      My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

Best solution. Give your books to me. Shelving problem sorted.

Originally posted by Daise View Post
        (my Dark Tower series takes pride of place though)
        Aparently there is a Dark Tower comic book series now.
        You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Papier-mâché shelves; two birds, one stone.

The neatest most elegant way I’ve found of storing my books is just to leave them in planes, hotels, ex-girlfriends houses, generally where ever I am when I finish them. If you want to get really OCD, just don’t keep anything you don’t use.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
            Best solution. Give your books to me. Shelving problem sorted.

Aparently there is a Dark Tower comic book series now.
            yeah i heard about that - must get it. i hope it is as visually beautiful as the books were.

one of the books is a mis-printed one, with a section of it from a later volume. apparently it's rare and worth a bit
            Originally posted by vk6hgr
            My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

Working...
            X