OWTK Duty Free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWTK Duty Free?

Just booked a holiday 7 Day cruise followed by 6 Nights In Hong Kong.
    My question Is It better Duty Free shopping here or there?
    Farrider #41
    I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings,
    I'm a drunk, I go to parties.

Depends what products you are looking for - be specific

Dubs

Comment

if u r buying something electrical and dont want hassles with the guarantee, buy here. also remember u dont have to purchase at a duty free shop here. can buy anywhere within 3- days of travel and claim back the GST. some conditions etc, but the general concept is there.

Comment

Singapore (Changi) usually good for alcohol compared to here.

Comment

The prices will always be far better overseas,especially in HK. But dave raises a good point re electrical goods.
          Having said that if you see something that you want here (like a nice watch or pair of sunglasses), then buy it because you may not see it at all in HK.

Comment

Any goods bought from the 1 retailer totalling over $300 can have the GST claimed back at customs if purchased within a 2 week period before flying out. That was the rule when I last checked.
            If your worried about fakes or guarantees then buy here.
            Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Was looking at ALCOHOL & electrical gizmos In no preferential order.
              Farrider #41
              I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings,
              I'm a drunk, I go to parties.

Comment

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post
                Any goods bought from the 1 retailer totalling over $300 can have the GST claimed back at customs if purchased within a 2 week period before flying out. That was the rule when I last checked.
                Tourist Refund Scheme

And it's anything you purchase over $300 on a single invoice in the previous 30 days.

Comment

Australian Duty Free prices really suck!!!

Changi rocks in many ways, variety for one plus the exchange rate
                  is pretty good.

I avoid purchasing anything in Aussie Airports tis daylight robbery!!!!

Comment

the other thing u might wanna consider is not to buy on your way out of australia. ie do u really wanna have to carry all the booze around with u. easier as someone suggested to buy in singapore on the way home...or pre order in australia and just pick it up when u land.

Comment

Just note that if you are traveling through Singapore you cannot take carry on Duty free booze that you have purchased elsewhere. You have to get it at Changi Airport (or when you land in Perth) or they will confiscate it.

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by TRX View Post
                        Just note that if you are traveling through Singapore you cannot take carry on Duty free booze that you have purchased elsewhere. You have to get it at Changi Airport (or when you land in Perth) or they will confiscate it.
                        Hmmm, I carried 2 x bottles of Cab Sav made it through Changi
                        to Indonesia, saga started in Indo but thats another story.

Has to be in "The" sealed bag and of course, still sealed.

Comment

If getting Alcohol in Hong Kong don't buy it until you are in the duty free area, if you buy it before going to the airport they will take it off you as you go through as part of the security scans, if you are flying direct to Perth from HK then duty free is ok, if going to another airport on route you will not be able to buy in HK as the next stop will take it off you, coming to Aus you can only buy in the last airport before landing or at downtown when you arrive, lost booze in both Tokyo and Singapore just after the new rules came in, what a waste!
                          Last edited by megpet; 21-12-2007, 10:57 AM. Reason: in the hold is OK forgot that

Comment

Working...
                          X