Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scammed buying a car - Private sale. Recourse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papajero
    replied
    Might not be a smart move, ok. Not sure but ive not lied here either.

never thought to sell it on. Not once, not ever.

thats what a shit cunt does slowpoke
    Last edited by Papajero; 14-09-2019, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• slowpoke
    replied
    Originally posted by Papajero View Post
    Nick Pritchard
    4 Worthington Rd, Booragoon
    0413 016 445
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/4+...!4d115.8380586

State Boomerang Champion - Really...
    State Champion piece of shit - Really...
    Seriously, this is not a smart move. Do NOT compound your error. And I bet it has already crossed your mind to flog it to some other poor unsuspecting soul.

Just fix it and move on. Bottom line it will end up costing you what it would have through a dealer and be a known good 'un.

Leave a comment:

• datsikk
    replied
    Yo won't have any chance in court. Smoke on start up is usually rings or valve stem seals?, although valve stem seals will still smoke once the car is warm (just let the car idle for a few minutes).

Like I suggested in the other post, diesel engine is meant to be good at cleaning engines due to higher levels of detergents.

Leave a comment:

• Papajero
    replied
    Will seek engine advice in another part of the forum. Thanks for the replies

Leave a comment:

• Papajero
    replied
    Nick Pritchard
    4 Worthington Rd, Booragoon
    0413 016 445
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/4+...!4d115.8380586

State Boomerang Champion - Really...
    State Champion piece of shit - Really...

Leave a comment:

• Kelly.999
    replied
    Shared the experience unfortunately.
    Caveat emptor

Leave a comment:

• vegie
    replied
    Yes, unfortunately I think it is all on you now. But in saying that, as has been said above, a little love might save the day.

Maybe an oil flush, along with running some diesel oil for a while might clean up some of the sludge. It couldn't make it worse...

And if it is still a problem after that, take it to "We Want Your Wheels' and get what you can for it...or look for a 2nd hand motor if the rest of the car is sweet...

Leave a comment:

• Para045
    replied
    Nothing stopping you plastering his name and phone number etc across as many forums etc as possible outlining what he hid to get the sale

Leave a comment:

• ApatheticEnd
    replied
    Probably not. You were given every opportunity to inspect the vehicle and logbooks before purchase. It sounds like the seller is a massive cheating cunt but you might have to wear this one. Unless you could prove that he never carried out the services as claimed and even then you'd have to take it to court and it's probably not worth the effort. I'd start by giving it a good service and see if it improves. Late model Korean cars are pretty reliable and aren't exactly highly strung. There is a reasonable chance it will be fine after a little love.

Leave a comment:

• Papajero
    started a topic Scammed buying a car - Private sale. Recourse?

Scammed buying a car - Private sale. Recourse?

Should have seen all the warning signs... but hindsight is 20/20 vision...

2013 Kia Carnival V6 petrol.
    Seller agreed to bring the car to a half way point so car arrived warmed up.
    Car was well presented, log books up to date. Sounded good, looked good, drove good. Asked multiple times if there were any issues with the car and he repeatedly said "None". We were happy. We agreed to a price.

Drove with him to his place, paid cash, did transfer, drove car back to my work. Everyone there well impressed, nice looking unit

Hours later leaving work I noticed a heap of smoke when I started the car but thought it was dust on windy day from others leaving car park at the same time, but I was getting nervous already.

2 hours later after stopping car for over an hour I restarted and noticed billowing white smoke for about 15-20seconds. Sent video to him and he said he'd never seen it before, must be something I had done. Car now does this every time it is stopped for an hour or more. Otherwise car runs and drives like a dream. I've called and asked for my money back or some money to repair. He said no, car had no problems when sold.

Pulled rocker cover off today and engine is MASSIVELY sludged up. Checked logbook and last 5 years of services have all been done by him, using exactly the same pen to write it. (Grrr, why didnt I see that at the time!)

My question is... As the logbook is sometimes regarded as a legal document, can I prosecute/sue for fraud? Mechanics' advice (from several) is "Get another engine."
Working...
X