DIWTK: ZPG (zero population growth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIWTK: ZPG (zero population growth)

In general I am a supporter, not that I waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Now however, I will be debating the topic (specifically "Should developing countries be obliged to limit population growth?") for uni.

Interested to hear your ideas.

(No poll included as a result is not relevant, only the opinions)

I'll say yes, but only as an artifact of increased living standards and better education. It should be a result of choice, not imposed.
    "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

So you're looking for ideas from PSB to add to your debate?

Dubs

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post
        So you're looking for ideas from PSB to add to your debate?

Dubs
        Problem?

Comment

Occasionally people have asked questions and then pissed everyone off by saying "yeah, just asking coz I needed to see how people would react to XYZ for an assignment". People got annoyed at being "used" without knowing about it.

I reckon you should be ok here though - you've clearly stated why you're asking right up there in the first post, it's open and honest.

My contribution to your debate is zero - I don't care what they do.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Sorry, I would have been here earlier, but talkback radio needed me, and these letters to the editor don't write themselves.

No, we should breed more. The white race is slowly dying out, gingers even more quickly. Pretty soon we will be swamped with the darkies, with their strange food and barbaric ways. We need to preserve our racial purity, our heritage, and our secure gated communities.

Just the other day an Indian doctor moved in, add that to the wogs down the road and the place is going to the dogs!
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I'd support zero population growth.

Problem is these days is that its the fucking idiots breeding.

Idiocracy is actually a documentary....

edit:
              fuck, negative growth would be a good thing, where's my axe...
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by dirt_infected View Post
                In general I am a supporter, not that I waste a lot of time thinking about it.

Now however, I will be debating the topic (specifically "Should developing countries be obliged to limit population growth?") for uni.

Interested to hear your ideas.

(No poll included as a result is not relevant, only the opinions)
                Change it to developed countries and I'm a yes!

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
                  Sorry, I would have been here earlier, but talkback radio needed me, and these letters to the editor don't write themselves.

No, we should breed more. The white race is slowly dying out, gingers even more quickly. Pretty soon we will be swamped with the darkies, with their strange food and barbaric ways. We need to preserve our racial purity, our heritage, and our secure gated communities.

Just the other day an Indian doctor moved in, add that to the wogs down the road and the place is going to the dogs!
                  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...ping*the one that got away*

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                    Occasionally people have asked questions and then pissed everyone off by saying "yeah, just asking coz I needed to see how people would react to XYZ for an assignment". People got annoyed at being "used"
                    Thanks for the explanation- such people amuse me though- Forum often gets used for spouting shite/opinions, thought everyone would welcome the chance to spout on this issue, what does it matter if I take some ideas to another forum?

Originally posted by thro View Post
                    I'd support zero population growth.

Problem is these days is that its the fucking idiots breeding.

Idiocracy is actually a documentary....

edit:
                    fuck, negative growth would be a good thing, where's my axe...
                    I hear you. No one in my discussion group knew what I was talking about when I mentioned idiocracy- fucking UWA kids with their facebook and iphones- whatever happened to watching movies?

Originally posted by barfridge View Post

Or we could stop breeding and adopt children from overpopulated poor countries, leading to future hybrid vigor equal partitioning of resources?

Originally posted by Sumatie View Post
                    Change it to developed countries and I'm a yes!
                    Most developed countries already have very small growth rates. Germany has a -ve growth rate.

Comment

its a trap to set you up.
                      do not partipate in the debate especialy if you are white.
                      some one at Uni will sugest or imply you are a racist and nothing you can do or say will recover your reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by dirt_infected View Post
                        I hear you. No one in my discussion group knew what I was talking about when I mentioned idiocracy- fucking UWA kids with their facebook and iphones- whatever happened to watching movies?
                        XKCD sums this up well..

And its corollary:

"In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Population growth drops off as living standards increase. Shouldnt we by extension be raising the living standards in developing countries to reduce pop. growth?
                          They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

^^ smart people are still rooting. they just don't go for the baby bonus 18 times...
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

what are the reasons for continued population growth?
                              are we lacking for labour? are we at risk of stagnation? are we at risk of extinction?
                              no.
                              i believe population growth is encouraged for economic reasons. aging populations cost money. at some point though with zero growth the population will stop aging and age groups will become static.

im going to say yes to zero growth. only good things can come from it.
                              im a holding, stroking, loving machine...also spanking

Comment

Working...
                              X