DWTK: Climate Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWTK: Climate Change

Simple question. We can all argue as much as we like as long as everyone answers the poll.

Is an increase in carbon emissions by human beings causing the Earth's average temperature to rise?

Summary of peer reviewed literature

Please post any (peer reviewed) supportive scientific documentation you know of.
    Yes
    46.97%
    No
    33.33%
    Agnostic
    19.70%
    Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
    "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Originally posted by dr00 View Post
    Simple question. We can all argue as much as we like as long as everyone answers the poll.

Is an increase in carbon emissions by human beings causing the Earth's average temperature to rise?

http://www.petitionproject.org/gw_ar...ew_OISM600.pdf

Please post any (peer reviewed) supportive scientific documentation you know of.
    Fixed

Comment

The fact that the earth's cycles are so damn complex stops me from saying that we are causing any change, though it seems likely that we are at least adding to it.
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

We are pretty fucking tiny in the scheme of things.

I don't think we're doing squat.

Comment

We are altering climate. How much more than natural variation I'm not sure.

Does it matter that we are having an effect? Again not sure...

Comment

We may be adding fuel to the fire but our impact is negligible.

Comment

I don't have a really strong position on the matter. I am sick of hearing how we are all doomed however.

I chose agnostic. I think we are having an effect but I don't know how much effect or even how serious the consequences will be. In other words, sitting on the fence.
              When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                We are pretty fucking tiny in the scheme of things.

I don't think we're doing squat.
                er... there's 6.5 BILLION of us, Australia, with only 22 million people accounts for more mammalian extinction than anywhere else on the planet.
                In 250 years, in a continent the size of the USA, 22 million people have destroyed dozens of other critters not including plant, bird or insect extinctions,
                and you say we are pretty tiny in the scheme of things????

The Great Global Warming Swindle Swindle - Features - The Lab - Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Gateway to Science
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Comment

Originally posted by peter600 View Post
                  er... there's 6.5 BILLION of us, Australia, with only 22 million people accounts for more mammalian extinction than anywhere else on the planet.
                  In 250 years, in a continent the size of the USA, 22 million people have destroyed dozens of other critters not including plant, bird or insect extinctions,

The Great Global Warming Swindle Swindle - Features - The Lab - Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Gateway to Science
                  Global warming, not killing things to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by peter600 View Post

Just because something is does not mean it shall always be.
                    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

i can't answer the poll as you don't have a option says, conclusion can not be made as sample group is too small.
                      "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Sure there is climate change, there always has been and always will be. Did we impact it with increased CO2 emission? I doubt it and besides, water vapor more twice as powerful as CO2 as far as greenhouse gasses go. Both are crucial in maintaining a viable ecosystem.

Whats more of concern should be petrochemicals and the more exotic organic chemicals that find their way into the food chain, which is something that we definitely are responsible for.

Comment

Originally posted by merctom View Post
                          i can't answer the poll as you don't have a option says, conclusion can not be made as sample group is too small.
                          Agnostic basically means not enough evidence
                          Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
                          "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

Yes, we're definitely changing the climate.

Whether or not our overall contribution will be;

Positive, negative, significant or even necessary in some way is the debatable part.

And to know the answer, we need far more research.

Edit: Also dr00, that site is pretty bonkers. As soon as people start waving about PhDs I get sceptical. The information they present should stand on its own merits. The weighting it is given should not depend on the academic penis size of its proponents.
                            "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

I like to have a different slant on things.

What if the denialists are wrong? What happens if in, say 100 years, there is incontrovertible (sp?) proof that we are indeed the cause of global warming and us , yes us living and determining the laws right now, were found to be the guilty mob that allowed this too happen. What would our children think of this?

If the "alarmists" are wrong then we lose an awful lot less than if the "denialists" are wrong.....and from where I see it, there are an awful lot more scientists publishing in the public domain evidence in favour of GW than say it doesn't matter (or if you like reading Andrew Bolt, indicate we are actually getting chillier).

We live in a society, and anyone who is happy to "shit in the nest" now and let others sort out the mess later deserves to be thought ill of.

One qoute comes to mind immediately. I know little of the Roman empire - as I suggest wouldn't most - but almost everyone would know the quote "Nero Fiddled whilst Rome burned". I gather that this was meant to mean that he ignored the problem until it was too late, and a great civilisation collapsed.

So, what if we ARE the cause of the problem? We have a responsibilty to leave the place in as good a shape as possible. I don't wish to have future generations sullying my name.
                              Dead Man's Hand
                              Internationational Porter Protection Group
                              Just call me Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X