No announcement yet.

How often or when do get a new helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often or when do get a new helmet?

Helmets are just that a protection for your ECU and other parts that make it function and you look sweet to your mummy.
    How often or when do you get a new one?
    Some of the helmets out there are well over a $1000 and some are $99 a pop, but they do wear out or become sloppy and at high speed they start to float and lift.
    Do you put up with this because the helmet was expensive to buy or do you get a new one regardless?

am gettin a new one atm. when i felt mine moving uncomfortably i decided. also while crouched on the bike, the helmet pushes down and i cant see whats directly in front of me, it was either sit up some or take hand of bar to lift helmet, or put up with it.

also, i would never recomend gettin a helmet under say...250 bucks, below that they are just a plastic shell.

edit: its been 2 and a half years. part time use
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

I'm going to replace my dirtbike helmet this week. It's seen a few good knocks trailriding and crashing the motard a few times.

It's just due I suppose. 2 yr rule with MA forces me to update my racing lid.
      EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

When the padding inside starts to wear and become ripped/dodgy etc. Helmets are only designed to take one crash (I think) sorry if im wrong, so really you should have replaced it after that.

Comment

I've found the better quality helmets tend to last a bit longer, before they get sloppy.

My last cheap helmet got sloppy within 3 months, i seem to get 18 months+ out of my shoeis...

YMMV...

As soon as it gets sloppy or damaged, i'll replace - its not worth not doing...

Besides, if the helmet is sloppy and annoying... i spend a good 10-12 hrs a week in it.
          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

I get a new one as soon as I see a colour or pattern I like, better than buying shoes

I usually buy helmets that you can buy replacement the cheek pads in, and buy new pads them when they get too worn

Comment

I crash often enough that I get a new lid when the flip on the old one won't stay down any more, usually every 2-3 years.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I buy one as and when I find something new and interesting. Besides, openface helmets aren't very expensive at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael/ View Post
                  When the padding inside starts to wear and become ripped/dodgy etc. Helmets are only designed to take one crash (I think) sorry if im wrong, so really you should have replaced it after that.

Yeah I'm familiar. I've got several full face lids that now live on my helmet graveyard rack in the garage. These have taken impacts or slides on the track. There is a big difference between and tumble through the mud trail riding and a full on impact. I've replaced dirt lids after hitting trees or rocks but they take a lot more abuse because they are dirt helmets. I would never expect to use it after any significant impact.
                  EXPERIENCE: noun: Knowledge or skill derived from actual participation or direct contact rather than mere study, interest, or internet.

Comment

My helmets 3-4 years old now Shoe X1000, going strong, inside lining is still comfortable and not too worn, cant really complain.
                    :stupid:

Comment

Top of the range helmets have fully changeable pads... so If i had an x11 I wouldn't change it untill I crashed, just change the bits inside when the foam gets compresed .

Comment

I have an Arai RX-7 RR4, i Bought it back in 2000.. Still very good, just change the inside and its good to go, just like brand new..

Comment

My helmet has lasted me 18 months and the padding is still fim and fits well. However some of the air vent clips have broken off so I have a new one on order. Thanks SBK toy store

I'll be using the old one for trackdays and RAC stuff as it has awesome vision.
                          Originally posted by Desmo
                          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                            My helmet has lasted me 18 months and the padding is still fim and fits well. However some of the air vent clips have broken off so I have a new one on order. Thanks SBK toy store

I'll be using the old one for trackdays and RAC stuff as it has awesome vision.
                            And because some of those places don't allow you to wear a helmet without the AS sticker .

Comment

normally you should replace it after you have dropped it... they say regardless of how minor the drop. the last major off i had they (insurance ppl) came and destroyed it sad day.. it was a nice helmet...
                              but the 2 year thing as everyone has mentioned sounds about right...

Comment

Working...
                              X