Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWTK - Glee; legitimately good or mass produced crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWTK - Glee; legitimately good or mass produced crap?

Ok, so it has singing and dancing. I lose a man card for watching. It's also decidedly very American. Scratch two. It's also based in high school. Scratch three.

And yet, I find myself actually drawn to the show despite all that.

Has my radar on "good tv" gone completely haywire due to encroachment on all sides by Reality TV (all I really watch is Chuck Lorre comedies these days), or is it possible that sometimes good writers, staff and cast can really turn a flop of an idea into good, watchable television?
    Yes. It contains singing and dancing, of course it's good.
    15.79%
    Yes. I'm with you. It's good despite rubbing me the wrong way.
    31.58%
    No. Your taste in TV mirrors an 11 year old girl with poor taste.
    31.58%
    I don't watch tv. My pet rock is more entertaining these days.
    21.05%

I dunno, I watched the first episode last week so couldn't be bothered watching it this week, that's generally a good indicator if I don't like a show or not. Would have to watch or more to make an informed decision, but at the moment I would say it is approaching half decent territory. If only for the cute redhead though, I would absolutely destroy her
    http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

I used to have a large rear projection TV in my lounge. It wasn't particularly clear and the bottom left of the screen was a bit yellow, but nevertheless it was a good tv. I say "was" because about 2 hours ago robbo attacked it and covered the lounge in ink.

I don't think it was because of anything that was on tv, usually that squid does things for pretty stupid reasons, so I had put it down to just another violent robbisode (he has ADHD, i read about the symptoms on the internet).
      Come to think of it, it probably had something to do with this thread.
      No doubt he will be here soon to destroy it also.

Comment

He must be psychic. Considering he would have destroyed the tv a good, what, hour and a half before this thread existed?

Comment

My GF is obsessed with it. That means it's a stupid girly high school drama, but it's probably one of the better ones.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
            I used to have a large rear projection TV in my lounge. It wasn't particularly clear and the bottom left of the screen was a bit yellow, but nevertheless it was a good tv. I say "was" because about 2 hours ago robbo attacked it and covered the lounge in ink.

I don't think it was because of anything that was on tv, usually that squid does things for pretty stupid reasons, so I had put it down to just another violent robbisode (he has ADHD, i read about the symptoms on the internet).
            Come to think of it, it probably had something to do with this thread.
            No doubt he will be here soon to destroy it also.
            You mean you actually know Robbo?

Whats he like in person?
            My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I keep expecting the cheer coach to start talking about BSing a BSer and cocaine..
              Originally posted by Desmo
              Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                I keep expecting the cheer coach to start talking about BSing a BSer and cocaine..
                Me too. That was a fail for me, completely ripping of a character. :mellow:

I've half-watched Glee from the start and it has some amusing moments, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.
                Originally posted by Amac
                suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                  Hahahahaha I loved that movie... the chick was a balls out whacko. Good times ^_^
                  Originally posted by Koola
                  Someone sig this.

Comment

So we have a high school show, with american stereotypes, talented actors (they can actually sing) and it's glossy as shit.

Sounds like a hit with the audience it's targeted at.

If you want to see something so scarily bad/ripped off/taking a movie and pillaging it's corpse, then go and see "The Vampire Diaries S1E1" it's a combination of The OC/One Tree Hill/Twilight and Supernatural. Full of stereotypes I can already predict the end of the first season because I have seen it before in so many other tv shows.

Comment

I actually also found the OC to be watchable. Well, some episodes, anyway.

After Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I've been trying to judge shows far far less by their premise and target audience and actually trying to get through an episode or two of something. Mostly because I've just seen tv shows fading away and being replaced by reality crap, so watching the few shows that remain is my backward way of supporting scripted TV.

I've even stooped so low as to watch Gilmore Girls on some late nights, though I have no illusions about enjoying it purely for some of the fast dialogue and Lauren Graham (it's a thing -- I'm a guy, and it's late at night, gimme a break). Weeds is probably a show I need to give more air time to, also.

I'm also apparently all alone in my assertions that Burn Notice and Moonlight make for watchable TV. (Although Moonlight is for all intents and purposes yet another Buffy/Twilight ripoff, it is a million times more watchable than Twilight.)

I've never found Dawson's/One Tree Hill/Party of Five/etc. watchable. Sorry.

Comment

I got roped into watching it today. The characters make me cringe and the storyline is woeful, but the performances are fantastic. I had a running commentary through every episode, most of the main cast are actually on Broadway or have been before. I would rate it a cut above all your other generic high school dramas because of the singing talent, but oh the rest of it is absolutely atrocious. I think it's hilarious that they aim these dramas at teenage girls and always write them as the unpopular people being shat on all the time... when I was at high school the only people watching shows like Glee were the popular kids, and the rejects hated everything mainstream because the mainstream hated them.
                        Last edited by Jedi; 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X