Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LWTK: Cryonics and your soul

Cryonics.

The preservation of the legally dead with the hope that sometime in the future they can be revived. Interesting tidbit, you're kept at sub -130؛C.

I've been reading a lot on this subject and there's a metric f-load of info and opinions around.

You need to be 'frozen' asap. So, once you die, you need to be kept going with CPR to ensure your body doesn't start shutting down. To put it an concisely as possible, you're pumped with biological cryoprotectants into your blood stream that vitrify and your body placed in a massive thermos until d-day.

My initial questioning is regarding the unseen. I'm by no way religious, but what do you reckon happens to your soul or spirit (if you believe we have one) when you become a cryonics patient?

- Do you think it hangs around until you're brought back to life (if this is ever possible)?
    - When does the soul leave the body - when your heart stops? Or when all your cells are dead? Or when your brain shuts down?
    - Would it 'come back' when you're awoken because it's tied to your body in some way?

I would say that the people engaging in cryogenics probably aren't the people that engage in belief about a soul or spirit.

Why go to the effort if you believe that when you die you'll (presumably) go to a better place?
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

Originally posted by Melkor
      The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

awesome pickup

personally i reckon itll all be there cos technically ur not dead.
        buuuuuuut i doubt theyll do any of this as itll be more for people with terminal diseases etc thatll get icecubed
        There is no more time, even for cake. For you, the cake is over. You have reached the end of cake.

Comment

Wouldn't you have that screaming moment in the afterlife as you start floating away from the lesbian cloud? Before falling with a rush back into your body?

What's the elasticity of a cell like? I only ask because in case -130 is going to rupture all your cells?
          This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyT View Post
            buuuuuuut i doubt theyll do any of this as itll be more for people with terminal diseases etc thatll get icecubed
            ^^ pets have been cryo'd. Anyone can get "ice cubed", depends on if you wanna spend the money doing so. Also, technically you're not being iced up, that would require freezing water, whereas you're being all gummed up with cryoprotectants.

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
            What's the elasticity of a cell like? I only ask because in case -130 is going to rupture all your cells?
            I think they've got that figured with the cryoprotectants. Scientist have 'brought back' insects using the same methods BUT I guess they haven't exactly been cryo'd for all that long - who knows what long term effects it'll have!

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
            I would say that the people engaging in cryogenics probably aren't the people that engage in belief about a soul or spirit.

Why go to the effort if you believe that when you die you'll (presumably) go to a better place?
            I read most people who've undergone Cryo are the type to believe there is no higher place to go, so you have a valid point, however I'm sure there are some people who are all hanging in giant thermos's who maybe DID believe there was another place but are in it for the fame when they're revived.

Comment

Reckon being cryo'd is selfish?
              Your family may not be able to 'say goodbye' when they know you're in a giant fridge.

What would visiting hours at a Cryo Facility be like?

Comment

I think that if you used a name brand, good quality freezer, your soul would also keep well for extended periods of time.

Comment

Test ride a bunch of different freezers, and jump in the one you like best

Comment

This is why cryonics will only ever be viable for redheads.

Comment

Awesome question... I reckon your soul freezes with it and you have no idea of the concept of time until your body is thawed out and revived or starts to rot.

In terms of dead or alive, there is clinically dead and brain dead. The body can survive for minutes, hours, days and even weeks when brain dead. Clinically dead means circulation and breathing has stopped, but the brain can still be active, although not for long.

Seeing that our personality, thoughts, dreams, everything we are, come from the brain, then the soul would more than likely be linked to that part of us... if you believe we have souls and an afterlife. You'd have to assume that cryogenic suspension occurs before being brain dead, but that brain activity is reduced to such a low rate (so low as to not be measurable) that it can be sustained nearly indefinitely.

I'd still be worried about cell damage, though, as our cells contain water and unrepairable damage occurs to our cells when they are frozen, due to water expanding and rupturing the cell walls. There is a frog in NZ (I think) that has a type of anti-freeze in it's cells but, AFAIK, we can't just pump that into our bodies and prevent cellular damage, yet.
                      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
                      In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
                      Amen, brother. Amen.
                      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

I reckon it stays with the body

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                          Test ride a bunch of different freezers, and jump in the one you like best
                          exactly..

No one can tell you what cryogenic environment is bes for you... you really have to try it for yourself..

Those little snap lock bags that change colour to show they are sealed might also be a good investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
                            Awesome question... I reckon your soul freezes with it and you have no idea of the concept of time until your body is thawed out and revived or starts to rot.

In terms of dead or alive, there is clinically dead and brain dead. The body can survive for minutes, hours, days and even weeks when brain dead. Clinically dead means circulation and breathing has stopped, but the brain can still be active, although not for long.

Seeing that our personality, thoughts, dreams, everything we are, come from the brain, then the soul would more than likely be linked to that part of us... if you believe we have souls and an afterlife. You'd have to assume that cryogenic suspension occurs before being brain dead, but that brain activity is reduced to such a low rate (so low as to not be measurable) that it can be sustained nearly indefinitely.

I'd still be worried about cell damage, though, as our cells contain water and unrepairable damage occurs to our cells when they are frozen, due to water expanding and rupturing the cell walls. There is a frog in NZ (I think) that has a type of anti-freeze in it's cells but, AFAIK, we can't just pump that into our bodies and prevent cellular damage, yet.
                            Yep, that's why the facility wants you to be kept clinically dead until they can inject you with the protectant goop.

Reckon when we're 'thawed' we'll retain memory? provided our cells have made it through the process.

(Am enjoying reading the comedic replies, Thread De-railers ^_^ )

Comment

Here's an intersting conundrum for you, that doesn't require thinking about souls.

Assuming we are just the sum of our parts and we have the technology to reconstruct things on the most fundamental level..

If you were to be broken down into your constituent atoms and reassembled in a new location. i.e. Teleported:

Would you still be you. I don't mean you as in, "Identifiably you from the outside looking in", rather; Would you still have the same sense of self.

Typically the answer is yes..

But here's where it gets interesting.

What if the data stream was duplicated and you were reconstructed twice. Which one would be you?

Your answer can't be neither, remember, we're assuming we are the sum of our parts.
                              "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Working...
                              X