BWTK - Tolerance/Acceptance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWTK - Tolerance/Acceptance

In regards to homosexuality, religion etc.

Does a disclaimer like "I have no problem with gay people, as long as they don't do anything near me" or "I accept religious people, unless they try preach to me" actually mean you are intolerant?

Or, even broader, does any disclaimer like "I'm not racist but..." really say the opposite?

DISCUSS!

i think so.
    TV Antennas - Home theatre installations - TV's wall mounted - Phone and data cabling - TV reception service & repairs - Much more...
    Discounts for PSB members
    ----------
    [email protected] - Ph: 0415 425 524 - or PM me

Comment

If you say 'I'm not racist but most of the aboriginals I've met smelled bad' it doesnt make you racist. Its true.

And yes, what you're talking about is tolerance. I'll tolerate religious people, but I wont accept them. I'll accept gay people.
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

I think it highlights a prejudice.

As to whether that prejudice could be determined to be an out and out -ism (I understand that it can be argued that any prejudice would indicate an -ism, but I'm speaking in a more relative stance) is maybe a bit of a stretch.
        Originally posted by Ferris
        I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
          Does a disclaimer like "I have no problem with gay people, as long as they don't do anything near me" or "I accept religious people, unless they try preach to me" actually mean you are intolerant?
          Not really sure mate.

I don't like being preached to, but I certainly appreciate a persons right to speak openly and freely about what they love and would defend that right wholeheartedly, despite disagreeing with them.

Do I take it personally when the Jo-ho's come knocking? Nope, that's their thing, I treat them as I'd like to be treated, it doesn't require any kind of athe-rage or harsh words to turn them away. I'm not going to spend any more time than is absolutely necessary with them, but not about to make any threats upon their person either.

If another fellow made a pass at me, I think I'd honestly just be flattered. Thanks but no thanks, no need to be awkward about it, and certainly not get offended in any way. Two lads or two ladies expressing physical interest in one another in public is A-okay with me as well, what is ever wrong about people showing they care for one another, whatever dangly parts they do or don't have?

On the race thing, I'm not really sure I have an opinion on that at all. We probably all profile based on ethnic background on occasion. I'm pretty sure people can (and do) deduce things about me from my appearance. I think if we're qualifying our statements with "I'm not racist / sexist / etc... BUT..." then in general it probably shouldn't be said.
          Last edited by Sunshine & F'n Rainbows; 29-09-2009, 06:26 PM.
          such comment
          wow
          many post

Comment

i think it can be used to provide some context at times to explain what you are about to say, but i think more often than not, statements like that are nothing more than a disclaimer or some weak justification that people think lets them say anything.

Not sure it means there is a lack of tolerance as such, but some people seem to treat statements like these as though they grant some sort of immunity to responses to their opinions.

I don't have a problem with people asking questions, but this is a bloody stupid one.
            Posted via Mobile Device

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
              And yes, what you're talking about is tolerance. I'll tolerate religious people, but I wont accept them. I'll accept gay people.
              This....

But does it make me intolerant or prejudiced if I say I have no problem with gay people Male or Female but seeing 2 guys kissing in public makes me feel a bit off colour?
              Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
              One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
              . .

Comment

Nope. You don't accept it, but you tolerate it.
                I think that its too much to ask of people to accept everyone and everything, but not too much to tolerate people's choices. (As long as they dont affect others)
                A wise wise episode of south park (lol) said that you don't have to accept everyone, just tolerate them.
                If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

I think people often say they 'accept' OR 'tolerate' things, yet will persecute the person/s in question choice, lifestyle etc.
                  Some people say they can tolerate religion for example (see Semi). But will probably give you a hard time. Which to me isnt tolerance, but might be too him.

Comment

Yeah, you're right. I dont tolerate religion.

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with people being gay, or religion, as long as they understand my choice to be not religious, and straight, in the same manner and accept that
                      wood for life? wood is life.
                      Originally posted by thro
                      i only squid it when riding pissed.

Comment

Conditional tolerance is intolerance. Fail.
                        Originally posted by Melkor
                        The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

I dont give a shit what you worship or who you screw.
                          sigpic

Comment

I have strong racial views but keep most under cover.

I am lucky that I work with a guy who is 1/2 this 1/4 that and 1/4 the other, he learns me on some cultural things he faces and i get to ask quite blunt questions of him about his mixed heritage, social views and govt policy.

It helps me to understand a little more and also lets me bounce ideas of someone who is living a life that may not 'fit' into a particular group.

Dubs

Comment

Originally posted by The Saint View Post
                              Conditional tolerance is intolerance. Fail.
                              I'll tolerate a person until the point that they threaten to knife me for my wallet. Does that make me entirely intolerant of people? No.
                              Last edited by polonY; 29-09-2009, 08:30 PM. Reason: silly comment

Comment

Working...
                              X