FJWTK - Headlights on Motorcycles..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FJWTK - Headlights on Motorcycles..

When did it become law, that motorcycles were to be fitted with headlights that automatically come on with the ignition (so to speak)?

About to go one on one with someone about this, and need to ensure my facts are correct.

For eg...would a 1980 Yamaha XJ650 have a headlight that works while the engine is running...or does it have to be switched on independently?
    Originally posted by Viper
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator

my 05 hyosung 250 had headlights you could turn off

Comment

I think it was late 80's (87?) that the lights on thing came in. I had a '85 KLR250 that had an On/Off switch for the headlight.

Comment

Yes, they made it mandatory for headlights to come on automatically some years ago, but then they changed the laws back where it was no longer mandatory for headlights to come on automatically.

What year(s) it was implemented and then later reversed I have no idea.

After the law was reversed, most manufacturers left them to come on automatically.
        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

I remember riding in 89 in Victoria when all the hard core dudes were complaining about the power drain so perhaps around then?

Comment

Don't know the specific answer I am afraid, but I was having a discussion along similar lines recently as my Sprint has an on/off switch for the lights.

Apparently it became compulsory during the 80s and then was relaxed in early 2000s and then became compulsory again shortly afterwards,

Hence Sprints built in 02 and 03 have the switch, when others do not.

I am not sure how true this is, the guy I was talking to seemed very sure of his facts.

EDIT - This kind of fits with what these guys have posted ^^
            Adventure before Dementia

Comment

my 1988 rz250r still has a functional light switch in the switch block
              Originally posted by Bendito
              If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

1992 was the year it was introduced as mandatory under ADR's Steve
                Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
                For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

yes 1992. check your emails steve. all the info you need.
                  Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

yes but it was repealed wasnt it? as the other mentioned.

Comment

I wanna switch my headlights off cause I wanna do ma bit for da planet, save eneregy and that commo chineese lesbo yes minister.
                      As a matter of fact look at what we have at the rudder of our democracy??
                      Midnight oil scarecrow as a enviorment clown Yes minister.
                      Barbiedoll cashslinger "lemme tell you this" arseclown Crudd, formaly called "Mr. Deadh"
                      Leftwing chineese lesbo furburger lovvaah minister of whatever.
                      A education minister who cannot add up.
                      Wayn swann; enough said.
                      Stephen Smith; mr aveage, say noting cause kev will hit me hard! As usefull as 2 men short.
                      ahh bugger I better go and lay down with a cuppa and a pill or 4 instead of shitting in Stevo's tread and getting it closed, yet again!

Comment

Thanks guys.......(you to Arwon!)

Regulations and standards

Australian Design Rule 76/00 'Daytime Running Lamps' sets out requirements for optional lamps fitted to vehicles sold in Australia.

The ADR calls up Europe (UN ECE) Regulation 87 and only allows white lamps to be used as DRLs.
                        SAE Recommended Practice J2087 'Daytime running lights for use on motor vehicles' is an optional standard.

Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 specifies requirements for the mandatory fitting of DRLs to vehicles built from 1st December 1989.

Several countries require the use of DRLs (mainly low beam headlights) under traffic laws but they are not required to be 'hard wired':
                        In 1992 Australia introduced mandatory "hard-wired" headlights for motorcycles - low-beam headlights were required to illuminate whenever the engine was
                        running. This requirement was rescinded in 1996, due mainly to pressure from motorcycle lobby groups:

"The Motorcycle Council of NSW (MCC) counts amongst its major achievements... Convincing the Federal government in 1996 to provide an alternative
                        to ADR 19/01 (requiring hard wired lights on for motorcycles) in the form of ADR 19/02 (which does not require hard wired headlights)" (MCC website).

Administrator

Comment

Why change it back?
                          It makes perfect sense, and IMO should be required for at least ANY vehicle being used for commercial purposes, if not ALL vehicles.

Comment

Ohh realy, next will be the rule/law that we cannot go outside in public without a HiVis Fluro vest on!

Comment

shuddup Bert

Administrator

Comment

Working...
                              X