This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skut View Post
    I was marked down on a project on primates because the teacher refused to believe that chimpanzees ate meat. (FFS they eat other monkeys!)

This was an expensive private school...
    Originally posted by 66 View Post
    Did you ever notice which people in your school wanted to become teachers?

In my experience, they almost always struggled with maths and science.
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    You'll find that they're actually correct you just need to put some more thought into it.

The friction that provides traction on slicks is not the same friction that limits top speed or acceleration with treaded tyres.

Softer rubber compounds are used to compensate for the loss of friction.

the dynamics are different 
    Originally posted by 98kellrs View Post
    And English usually, the grammar of a lot of primary/secondary school teachers is shocking judging by their facebook accounts...
    So skinny don't have less grip that wider tyres?
    Treaded tyres of the same compound will grip better than their slick counterparts?

I'm open to hearing the other side of this.
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Slicks are used for structural integrity, aerodynamics and reduced overall friction.

A treaded tyre is pumping air which in itself is friction, individual blocks flex providing more grip but also a point of failure for tearing or less predictable traction limits.

A treaded tyre of the same compound as a slick, think wet race tyres, will tear up due to extra traction/friction and compromised integrity of the rubber surface.

Your slicks give you aerodynamic advantage, reduced frictional losses as heat, sound or harmonic vibration, the increased traction under race conditions comes from deformation, weight transfer and tactile adhesion of heat softened rubber that would either tear off or flex to failure as a tread block.

So yes slick tyres have less friction and are used to go faster because of it. You know this because you have to warm them to even be able to use them safely, the conclusion that because you can corner faster there must be more friction is flawed.
    Originally posted by g0zer View Post
    some years back i did most of a gradDipEd in teaching (didnt sign up for the extended practical). i couldnt help but notice that i was the only physical science major in the science curriculum class, all the other prospective science teachers (at that time) were coming from a biology background.
    Lol... biology.

Yep. That's the same bunch.
    Edit: nothing against biology... but there where Cleary two types in those classes. Ones who nailed all subjects... and ones who needed a to pick a science class that wasn't chem or phys.
    Originally posted by g0zer View Post
    i was also surprised to find during my short prac, that the physics/chem teacher whose class i was assigned to did not appear to have any background in math, physics or chem. they struggled with basic cartesian coordinate system modelling, i saw them stumped to analyse some pretty basic high school physics problem that was in a curriculum update. simple break down of a vector into xyz using trig. the kind of problem if you need to refer to worked examples its pretty obvious you have no business teaching physics.

it was at a public school in a very low socio economic area, dont know that that should make any difference but there it umm was at least.
    I can't seem to find the punch line to any of these jokes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich... View Post
      I tried to bring it back on track...
      '====
      //`
      -Magilla
      They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
      Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

• 3ch
        Originally posted by Bendito
        If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Here you go...

Comment

Thank god you came along, things were starting to get a bit sticky there..............

Comment

• Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

• i should get some of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Funny-car...item3394d9c377
                "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

• Apologies if this has been posted before.

Probably NSFW..

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time

Comment

• Originally posted by chief wiggum View Post
                    Needs "Cover me, I'm changing lanes." and "DO NOT OVERTAKE OVERTURNING VEHICLE"
                    Aim high and consider yourself worthy of great things

Comment

• JUST REMEMBER! THE TECHNOVIKING DOESN'T DANCE TO THE MUSIC! THE MUSIC DANCES TO THE TECHNOVIKING!

Technoviking isn't on YouTube, YouTube is on TechnoViking!

The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

• The correct number of bikes to own = N + 1, where N is the current number of bikes you own.

Comment

• It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• http://mobile.news.com.au/technology...-1227330115771
                            Originally posted by Bendito
                            If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

• I know this is ancient, but my tiny ferret behaves exactly like this (apart from eating snakes) - completely fearless

Comment

• Originally posted by BERT View Post
                                #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                                Originally posted by Phildo
                                Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                                Originally posted by filbert
                                i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                                Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Working...
                                X