Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are over 30

to the under 30's

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning....

Uphill... Barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waitin g! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
    When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever!
    And you could never win.. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
    The Over 30's
    Last edited by DINGO71; 23-08-2009, 08:02 AM.
    I HAD A BREEZE UP MY SHORTS AND IT FELT LIKE CHRISTMAS!!

Originally posted by dingosrun View Post
    to the under 30's

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were.
    So then you understand how boring this thread is?
    Ello

Comment

i might think it funny if i hadnt read it about 20 times before

Straightline2ten your motorcycle and motor car repairer for smash repairs

insurance or private work, plastic welding,resprays, restoration and classics

dianella 93703770

Comment

what is it with this intergenerational rivalry people are trying to promote?

Go tell Quietlil that's she's no good because she was born pre-WWII
        Go tell FJSteve he's no good because he's a baby boomer
        Go tell Deej he's worthless cos he's genX (whatever that means)

People are people, some good, some bad. Judge them on age at your peril, you truly will be missing out on some of the best people you are ever likely to meet
        For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
        For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
          what is it with this intergenerational rivalry people are trying to promote?

Go tell Quietlil that's she's no good because she was born pre-WWII
          Go tell FJSteve he's no good because he's a baby boomer
          Go tell Deej he's worthless cos he's genX (whatever that means)

People are people, some good, some bad. Judge them on age at your peril, you truly will be missing out on some of the best people you are ever likely to meet
          I couldn't agree more. Also, people don't choose what generation they are born in to, so can't be blamed for the technology or ease of living that they have. But how you choose to live and appreciate what you have is of course important.
          Ello

Comment

I'm under 30 and I think kids these days have it too easy

Barfy is on the money. Defining the characteristics of people based on the "generation" they belong is BS. Technically I'm meant to be Gen Y (but only just) and yet I don't have an ipod blaring in my ears 24/7, I don't send 1000 text msgs a day and my pants don't reveal my underwear. And I know many people my age (and younger) who aren't like this.

The tv show probably doesn't help. As humans we just love to categorise everything
            Originally posted by Amac
            suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

^^^^^
              Of course you WOULD say that, wouldn't you? You damn 250 owners......
              Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Comment

Wow, sounds like some people need a panty unbunching. I'm sure I read this in funny stuff and just possibly thought it was a joke? Heck, I got a laugh out of it, not quite as much of a laugh as I did at the responses, but still, a laugh is a laugh, right?
                  Come back Jeremy, it was only a joke.

Comment

I never had to walk to the tv. I used to lay on the floor about an arms reach away from the channel knob.
                    I had caller id. I just made sure not to be the one who answered the phone. Besides, it was rarely for me I had a good looking (older) sister.
                    I didn't have to worry about going to ANY trouble to steal music. My sisters room was opposite the kitchen.
                    I didn't need a library nor a microwave, I asked mum. She would always tell me or feed me. (still does to some extent).

As for letters, why would ya? You could tell your friends what you had to say next time you saw them. If couldn't remember what you were going to tell them then clearly it wasn't important.

I had it easy.
                    But then why shouldn't I? That's progress.

Don't get me wrong I love all the changes and I will always embrace them. Just like I will always embrace my mum.
                    In my childhood she raised me. Not the tele, not the music, not the mail and not the video games.
                    She took time out of her life to raise me.

She did it hard to make my life easy.
                    And I love her.

Posted via Mobile Device
                    sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about this today as I checked the weather radar to see if it was safe to go hang out the washing, my Mum would have had to look out the widow.
                      Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.

Comment

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                        . As humans we just love to categorise everything
                        Originally posted by Roger Explosion View Post
                        ^^^^^
                        Of course you WOULD say that, wouldn't you? You damn 250 owners......
                        Originally posted by Melchior View Post
                        Penny never dropped dude?

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Explosion View Post
                          Penny never dropped dude?
                          haha

Yeah sorry mate, didn't put it together, too advanced for me, being Gen Y and all

Comment

jeez, some of you had it easy.....tv? something i got to watch at my grandma's. atari? sheesh, i was lucky to get to play it once a year when i visited my cousin's place. we only got mains power put n in the mid 80's, before that we had the old generator that got cranked up every night. and i'm only in my 30's. some of you just had it waaay too easy.
                            "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

very relevant you looky buggers,
                              [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw]YouTube - Four Yorkshiremen[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X