Slowing net ona shared PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowing net ona shared PC

ok story is have 3 pcs on 1 dsl line (256 )
    dlink dsl 504g router

how can i slow the net down ie the bandwith availible to 1 of the PC's

ie 2pcs with 64 k and 1 with 128k if it works that way?

is it as simple as loggin into the modem and doing some shit?
    i have no idea please help...
    RIP Scott!
    RIP Onikage!
    RIP ODDZ!

Dont think its so simple. The way Im doing bandwidth throttling (shaping/sharing) is by QoS and thats using Cisco gear.
    There may be some trick way to modify the Windows QoS component to get what you want. If not some 3rd party utility perhaps?
    Sorry..just realised didnt help much.

Comment

I've tried very hard to do just this, and I've never had any success. QoS - even the most advanced versions of it seem incapable of limiting the download rates, only upload rates.
      http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

2nd reply attempt seeing as my 1st one was bahleeted!

If you have the $'s, look at using a Fortigate router. Very easy to assign throttling to either IP's, ports, or any firewall policy you have setup.
        It allows you to configure a guaranteed and/or a maximum bandwidth (KBytes/s) and traffic priority per policy.

Note: You will still need a modem (bridged) as these units are ONLY routers.

...having dinner with KARMA tonight...

Comment

There's some Qos stuff buried in the admin templates->network section of the local computer policies management snapin that I've just seen while poking around in there. Looks to me like you can set a limit on the percentage of bandwidth on a PC-by-PC basis if you go and set this on each PC.

Although that suggestion may be hugely naive because I don't really know what I'm talking about or how QoS works so feel free to point out why I'm wrong (for my benefit!).
          www.sortbycorruptiondate.com

Comment

mm sis uses kazza.. i hate it i know the port number kazza uses, if i forward that port to my pc will it be blocked on the pc she uses?

or how can i do a port blocking on that pc?
            RIP Scott!
            RIP Onikage!
            RIP ODDZ!

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Frank@Sep 30 2005, 10:36 AM
              mm sis uses kazza.. i hate it i know the port number kazza uses, if i forward that port to my pc will it be blocked on the pc she uses?

or how can i do a port blocking on that pc?
              [snapback]166021[/snapback]
              Use XP Firewall or Zone Alarm on sister's PC to block that port number for incoming/outgoing (is it UDP or TCP that's the question). Though unless you've set your sister up on a non-admin account she could just undo it again.

Comment

Originally posted by sarcasmatron@Sep 30 2005, 12:24 PM
                Use XP Firewall or Zone Alarm on sister's PC to block that port number for incoming/outgoing (is it UDP or TCP that's the question). Though unless you've set your sister up on a non-admin account she could just undo it again.
                [snapback]166090[/snapback]
                mm might do the xp firewall... just block udp/tcp

yer she is admin but no idea how it would work.. and i can play dumb with kazza as i dont use it..

now if i could get her to give me $25 a month for the net....
                RIP Scott!
                RIP Onikage!
                RIP ODDZ!

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Frank@Sep 30 2005, 01:51 PM
                  mm might do the xp firewall... just block udp/tcp

yer she is admin but no idea how it would work.. and i can play dumb with kazza as i dont use it..

now if i could get her to give me $25 a month for the net....
                  [snapback]166139[/snapback]
                  If you're admin (and she doesn't know more about it than you do) then bust her arse back to User so fast it makes her head spin. Hell still just block that port. Maybe she'll just think the Kazaa network has finally been shut down. Just steal $25 worth of her stuff a month to make up for it.

Comment

You could install some third party software like Netlimiter on each of the other PC's. This lets you set upload and download limits on a program by program basis, or as a whole PC (I think). You can also incorporate it into a "scheduled task" (using windows task scheduler via control panel) and set it to run at specified times (i.e. when you want all the bandwidth for your PC and then when your not home have it not running so they can have full speed). It will also calculate total traffic use on each system and give you real time stats on the fly. The downside is it has to be installed on each of the PC's you want to shape traffic on and it sits in the system tray, so if someones smart enough they can simply open it up and then adjust the settings.

Alternatively you could bridge the router into a gateway linux box, smoothwall and clark connect are a few distro's designed for this sort of thing. It is obviously a little more complicated to configure though. Alternatively you could setup another distro and fiddle with iptables to sort it out.

QoS has already been suggested, you can get it to work for you but it takes a bit of fiddling.

You could also setup port blocking in your router so to prevent them from using ports other than say 80, 110 and 25 so basically they can only browse and check their email, effectively leaving all other ports for your use (preventing them from running P2P software etc). This obviously wont stop them from running a download via their browser and chewing up all your bandwidth.

"At the start of the season, you can’t win the championship in the first round, but you can lose it.” - Travis Pastrana

"If your mind can conceive it then
                    your hands can achieve it"- Nigel Petrie (Engineeredtoslide.com)

Comment

Originally posted by mattis@Sep 30 2005, 06:59 PM

You could also setup port blocking in your router so to prevent them from using ports other than say 80, 110 and 25 so basically they can only browse and check their email, effectively leaving all other ports for your use (preventing them from running P2P software etc). This obviously wont stop them from running a download via their browser and chewing up all your bandwidth.
                      [snapback]166301[/snapback]

mm netlimiter sounds good, the port blocking be what i am after now i have no idea how!

i cant steel $25 of her stuff she got nothign worth steeling!
                      RIP Scott!
                      RIP Onikage!
                      RIP ODDZ!

Comment

Always the linux box option with class based queueing, delay pools in squid and traffic shaping in iptables (when i did it last, it was an experimental module). Or, just get yourself a Cisco 827 series adsl router and traffic shape her ip with an access list.

Comment

Working...
                        X