Aquaponics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquaponics

I'm considering setting one of these up...

Yes I used the 'search' button ladies, but I didn't want to whore out the fish and hydie threads. So...

How would one of these systems go in an unshaded area? Are birds a problem with snatching the fish (I really have no clue)? And as great as fresh vegies may be, for a 2.5k start up does it pay back?

While I'm at it...certain seeds are good for planting in certain months. Would this set up mean that all seeds would produce at any time during the year? Or would you still need to stick with the planting guide?

Anyone done it...got some practical advice...any info appreciated

fish do not give off all the nutrients a plant needs to grow ,the aquaponics systems are the biggest con going

Comment

Are you basing that on hearsay or is there firm basis for your opinion?
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      Its the little things that make the difference
      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

*Fish supporting plants? Dude, where I shit NOTHING survives. He knows what he's talking about.

It takes a lot of rotting fish / decomposing aminos to create enough nitrate to support a good crop. And that's what they're best at. Now you want trace elements too? Another truckload of patagonian toothfish kthx.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I had a small AP set up running in my last house. More as an experiment than anything else.

The growth rates were nothing short of amazing. I have got some photo's somewhere showing the growth rate of egg plants in the AP system.

I bought 8 egg plant seedlings. Planted 4 in the AP set up and 4 in the piece of garden bed near them. I did everything right for the garden bed, plenty of potting mix, heaps of fertilizer etc. The AP egg plants were double the size of the in ground ones after two weeks and from there the differences just got more pronounced.

My initial set up cost was around $50. I used an existing fish tank (3ft glass) and a plastic underbed storage box for the grow bed. Just used gravel for the grow medium. I had a constant input and a constant output, keeping the water level just 2 inches below the top of the grow bed.

It worked great. I just used gold fish, mainly because they are a dirty fish and provide heaps of nutrients. I only had five fish in there, but that was plenty enough for the three egg plants, four basils, three cos lettuce and two strawberry plants.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieman View Post
            fish do not give off all the nutrients a plant needs to grow ,the aquaponics systems are the biggest con going
            Did you read this or are you basing this on experience??

I say CRAP...

Seen it in action from small scale to large scale, it works pretty good.\

Back on Subject.
            Friend has a good size pond with around 60 trout in it, feeder fish for trout etc etc.
            Grow beds currently at 2 but expanding to 4 (1.2m x 3m each).

He is as member of some forum, will try chase it up as give you access to info
            for fish, tanks, lights, pumps, timers etc etc...

Comment

Yep, seen it to Jules
              Steve's set up is quite impressive now with the HUGE tank he has built

Bert
              It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
              Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

backyardaquaponics.com

Forum links on there. Lots of useful info from Aussies.
                In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                  Yep, seen it to Jules
                  Steve's set up is quite impressive now with the HUGE tank he has built

Bert
                  Not to bad a setup huh Bert?
                  In the end will make a darn good ice bin for beer!!!

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                  backyardaquaponics.com

Thats the one, plenty of very helpful people, plenty good links etc etc...

Comment

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
                    In the end will make a darn good ice bin for beer!!!
                    Nah ..... at 2m deep it will need too much ice or be too hard to get the ones at the bottom ;0)

Bert
                    It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BERT View Post
                      Nah ..... at 2m deep it will need too much ice or be too hard to get the ones at the bottom ;0)

Bert
                      Surely with the new mill/lathe combo we can come up with a special tool to collect bottom dwelling
                      beer fish!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
                        *Fish supporting plants? Dude, where I shit NOTHING survives.
                        Thanks for that Cap - don't mind me if I look at you a 'lil funny next time I see you m'k?

Originally posted by mattski0_0 View Post

The growth rates were nothing short of amazing. I have got some photo's somewhere showing the growth rate of egg plants in the AP system....

My initial set up cost was around $50. I used an existing fish tank (3ft glass) and a plastic underbed storage box for the grow bed. Just used gravel for the grow medium. I had a constant input and a constant output, keeping the water level just 2 inches below the top of the grow bed.
                        Love to see some photos if you can upload them
                        I'm wondering about trying to do it more cheaply to start with - some peeps have used old baths and the like - really get into the whole cheap ass sustainability thing. Besides, a couple of grand for a basic set up is a big ask imo.

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                        backyardaquaponics.com

Saw that one - its going to take me awhile to get through all that info though

And if it does fail, I could always use an ice bin

Thanks for the replies

Comment

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Tr...nicSystems.pdf

An interesting read for anyone considering Aquaponics.

Comment

Seeing that link reminded me that I went to school with one of the employees of that business. He wasn't a particularly bright bloke but when it came to that he knew his shit (fish shit) inside out. I saw some of the stuff he grew and how cheaply he was able to grow it, no doubt in my mind that it works.
                            Originally Posted by Maxo
                            do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
                            to Butters

Comment

hey jo, i'm pretty sure there is a house in south freo which has it set up and have there garden open to the public from time to time

Comment

Working...
                              X