Security Cameras/software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Cameras/software.

Can anyone recommend any cameras/software systems, that you can setup to upload say 1 frame every 5sec to the internet?
    If it could do this, whilst recording it would be even better?
    (Will google, but wondering if anyone has already looked into this.)

I don’t want to have a live feed to the internet, waste of bandwidth for what I’m trying to do.

Also tossing up between getting a higher quality image, or being able to have video.

Side note: Anyone has any fox traps laying around? Nice strong ones, of the femur crushing variety.
    For display purposes only of course.

Cheers.

sigpic

try Clicky

They arent the cheapest, but have a big range of things to look at. This will give you a good idea of what is available.
    If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Thanks Klink.

I'll have a look.
      sigpic

Comment

Plenty of IP cameras around that will do exactly that.

Comment

As far as webcams go, I have a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. It is not the cheapest, but it does have a CCD sensor when most others have CMOS. This means it is better quality, works better in low light and the scene can be illuminated with IR (CMOS doesn't pickup IR, CCD does).

As for software, I don&#39;t know much about the windows offerings, but I think WebcamXP Pro will do what you want. (Linux will do everything you ever want, but that&#39;s another thread <_< )

That approach means you need a PC running all the time. Alternativly (as nath said) there are all-in-one webcams with ethernet ports and http interfaces. However I haven&#39;t seen one yet that is both affordable and has a CCD sensor.

HTH

Comment

I&#39;ve got a dual cpu P3-500 with a gig of ram (ex work server) that I was going to use.

If I was going to leave it "online" all the time then I was going to look at installing Linux.

Just haven&#39;t had the time..... wanna give me a hand? (Would involve alcohol.)
            sigpic

Comment

I set up an IP camera security system not that long ago at work.

I use Netcomm NS4100 network cams and NetCamCenter for the software,

I have mine ramped right up for best video quality but you can slow it right down and also has a webserver so you can view it from the net.

You can use the inbuilt motion sensors of the cameras to start recording and you can select it to record for a specific amount fo time every day.

All in all it&#39;s very slick. Well recommended.

Russ
              Fat kids always win at see-saw

Comment

Also look at the little webserver boxes... which look like a router, you plug a composite video source into it and then you plug it into your network.

This way you dont even need a computer to run it. It just serves the video or images directly from the box.
                If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Value for money.

swann

Comment

Check out http://www.axis.com

I just setup 4 IP cams at work - records on motion detection to a server with email/SMS notification, etc.

Axis server monitoring software has more than enough features.

...having dinner with KARMA tonight...

Comment

i may have some old school foxtraps in shed the ones you tread in the middle and sharp metal teeth hack into your leg. display purposes ? what do you intend on displaying a dying rabbit or those damn whipper schnappers messing up your front garden ?

Comment

Originally posted by bleekerism@Nov 11 2005, 11:04 PM
                        what do you intend on displaying a dying rabbit or those damn whipper schnappers messing up your front garden ?
                        The w-s&#39;s breaking into/trashing the g&#39;f&#39;s & neighbours cars.
                        But I&#39;m told it&#39;s not too PC. Apparently the theives/vandals have rights &#39;n&#39; stuff that I need to respect...

Looking for camera options to at least I.D. them.
                        Hoping the camera won&#39;t get stolen.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dugy@Nov 12 2005, 02:13 AM
                          The w-s&#39;s breaking into/trashing the g&#39;f&#39;s & neighbours cars.
                          But I&#39;m told it&#39;s not too PC. Apparently the theives/vandals have rights &#39;n&#39; stuff that I need to respect...

Looking for camera options to at least I.D. them.
                          Hoping the camera won&#39;t get stolen.
                          [snapback]186729[/snapback]
                          it will be the first thing the fuckers steal

i put up a couple round our place 1 real one and 2 dummies
                          the dummies look like the real thing just no glass lens and all 3 have the red flashing LED
                          they are the swann ones got em from officeworks

Comment

put a dog inside the car for the night and keep a bat and a screw driver near the door so when you goto confront em you can either bat hit unconscious or stab him in the neck with the screwdriver then put the other item in his hand and claim it was self defence

Comment

Originally posted by dugy@Nov 11 2005, 11:10 AM
                              Just haven&#39;t had the time..... wanna give me a hand? (Would involve alcohol.)
                              [snapback]186295[/snapback]
                              Sure, I will do almost anything for beer.

If you do go this path, when you&#39;ve picked a webcam make sure it&#39;s supported by Linux. For example for my Logitech the driver is here. Others are supported directly by the kernel, some not supported at all (blame the manufacturer), etc, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X