what are these wire for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are these wire for?

i figure electronics stuff is off topic and possibly geeky but mods feel free to move it

I removed an electric motor from a big tumble dryer, there are 5 wires connected to it
    1.red
    2.black
    3.blue
    4.yellow
    5.brown

does anyone know what they are all for?

i assume red is positive and black is negative for one way, whilst two other colours might be positive and negative for the reverse direction? or would they jusy make the negative side become positive and vice versa to get the motor to rotate in the opposite direction?
    support honest cops, theres not many left

(Guessing...)

2 for the motor
    2 for the heating element
    & ground.

I've never had a dryer that changed direction.

You could always be dodgy and wire them up one at a time.

eidt: Try finding a manual....or use exumes link.
    sigpic

Comment

BTW: How big is "big"?

Some of the blokes at WASM used to switch the dryer to 'cool' and climb in...
      and you stick a dollar in and watch them go 'round & 'round & 'round.
      Then they'd climb out and fall over a lot.
      (We had a lot of spare time...)

Disconnect the heating element and you could be on a winner for a great party toy at a uni taven.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dugy@Nov 11 2005, 03:51 PM

Disconnect the heating element and you could be on a winner for a great party toy at a uni taven.
        [snapback]186466[/snapback]

Spew man....I wanna try that

Russ
        Fat kids always win at see-saw

Comment

Brown should nearly always be earth.
          Black should be neg for the motor red should be pos for the motor,
          Yellow heating element pos/neg? same with blue.

I would hitch up the earth then the black then the red to a car battery and see what happens ( with all the remaining wires neatly covered and not touching.

but I'M NOT AN ELECTRICIAN, NOR DO I BUILD DRYERS! So I hope you don't blow anything up.

Are all these wires directly connected to the motor? then the blue and yellow may go to a switch which interupts the circuit ( the door) if the red and black are connected and nothing happens connect the the blue and yellow( whilst it's not connected to a battery) and stand behind one of those screens they have on mythbusters see what happens?

Comment

Just remember your tumble dryer motor will work from AC current.

Your bike/car electrics are DC current........and it don't mix to well....

Comment

Oh yeah you'll need an inverter
              good work gordo

Comment

if its a single phase tumble dryer, 2 could possibly motor winding, 2 go to a capacitor for starting (this is hidden inside sometimes), and the other - dunno without looking. There is all sorts of 2 speed motors as well. It could be anything.

take a piccy of it.

if its a 3 phase motor, we could have 3 phases and 2 wires for internal thermistor wiring mebee.
                Increasing my carbon footprint - one 500 @ a time...

Comment

as you can see the heating element is not part of it

gordo-i know that my bikes DC voltage wont operate this motor.

Comment

Originally posted by millsy@Nov 11 2005, 04:10 PM
                    I would hitch up the earth then the black then the red to a car battery and see what happens ( with all the remaining wires neatly covered and not touching.

[snapback]186477[/snapback]

Fair enough Anton, my reply was more aimed at the above post....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordo@Nov 11 2005, 07:34 PM
                      Fair enough Anton, my reply was more aimed at the above post....
                      [snapback]186584[/snapback]
                      ok then good call. i will try to find a bench power supply to let loose on

Comment

Originally posted by dugy@Nov 11 2005, 03:51 PM

[snapback]186466[/snapback]
                        nah just a big household dryer, any midgets in the house?

Comment

depending on the type of motor that it is you might find that you have shunt circuits within the motor. And Anton don't be so sure that the red is active and the black is neutral because the internal wiring of appliances can often be done in another colour code from another standard eu standard is brown=active blue=neutral . US standard allows black to be active. First get a multimeter on it and find your winding circuits. Then try and suss it from there i dare say being only single phase that there is a shunt circuit to allow for torque/ speed adjustments.
                          [COLOR=blue] spadaman spadaman does whatever a spada can

Comment

ok the blue and yellow ones are the only ones to have continuity (only ones connected)

any more ideas?

Comment

Working...
                            X