SLI Give me your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLI Give me your thoughts

Ok folks ... Im considering upgrading a few bits and pieces on the PC ..

Im looking at what options I can go for and the benefits each one will give me.

the Options I can see are as follow

1. New MB and single video Card and Ram (say nice 7800 gt or alike)
    2. New MB and twin video cards and Ram (say 2 6800 gt sparkles or maybe depending on the cost 2 7800 gts )
    3. New MB and one more 6800 gt sparkle and more ram

Now ...what I wnat to know is .. SLI is meant to be awesome for 3D gaming ... and runs things like Farcry at more than 180 fps ....

I play WOW .. ALOT .. and I love my 3D first person shooters ..

So is SLI worth the cost ??

or is there a better option I could look at ... would one REALLY big ass video card do the job if I get a 1024 FSB MB ???

Your thoughts appreciated.

Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

SLI is always going to be a very premium feature of motherboards and graphics cards, it may be supported in the current crop of video cards, but it may go away in the next generation ones. It's not the most sensible idea in terms of upgrade path.
    http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

SLi capable mobo and a single 7800GT should be fine at the moment.

Also, if you're going down the SLI path, take a gander at ATi's Crossfire (SLI competitor).

The BIGGEST, HUGEST advantage of Crossfire is that you DON'T NEED MATCHING CARDS, just 2 Crossfire capable cards, and it'll automatically detect and load balance.
      Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
      (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Comment

Wat sort of grunt is a 7800GT and a SLI MB gonna give me .. ??

Im looking at having 3gigs of ram on the MB with a 4 disc raid array
        (1 T

Is there another way to go ? or is this about the best I can expect ?

Comment

i'm looking at a gaming computer and was told SLI is the new way to go

he is my specs

the 1st line web page should help for SLI question

Gigabyte S939 K8NPRO-SLI mainboard http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/Pro...N%20Pro-SLI.htm
          AMD Athlon 64+ 3500 socket 939 processor
          Sony 1.44Mb floppy
          Sony Dual Layer DVD Burner
          250Gb SATA hard drive
          2Gb DDR memory
          nvidia EN7800GT 256Mb PCIe video card
          Sony SDMHS95PS 19" LCD Display http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/produ...?id=SDMHS95PS#
          MS Windows XP PRO
          Lian-Li Tower case with 500W PSU - http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chass...C_PC-V1000.htm

Comment

Originally posted by STUART@Nov 22 2005, 10:31 AM
            i'm looking at a gaming computer and was told SLI is the new way to go

he is my specs

the 1st line web page should help for SLI question

Gigabyte S939 K8NPRO-SLI mainboard http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/Pro...N%20Pro-SLI.htm
            AMD Athlon 64+ 3500 socket 939 processor
            Sony 1.44Mb floppy
            Sony Dual Layer DVD Burner
            250Gb SATA hard drive
            2Gb DDR memory
            nvidia EN7800GT 256Mb PCIe video card
            Sony SDMHS95PS 19" LCD Display http://www.sony.com.au/catalog/produ...?id=SDMHS95PS#
            MS Windows XP PRO
            Lian-Li Tower case with 500W PSU - http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chass...C_PC-V1000.htm

[snapback]191788[/snapback]
            im looking at this

Asus S939 A8N32 SLI - Deluxe
            Main board
            AMD Athlon 64+ 4400 socket 939 processor
            2 DVD burners
            4 X 250Gb SATA hard drive in a Raid array
            4Gb DDR400 memory
            2 x nvidia EN7800GTX 512Mb PCIe video card or 2 x nvidia EN6800GT Sparkle 256 Mb PCIe video card
            2 LCD 19" monitiors

Comment

I am currently running a system that is very close to the one ur building Stuart .. except currently im using a 6800gt Sparkle .. not a 7800GT

Comment

Given my personal experiences with ATI, I MUST strongly advice against it. Ati has the dodgiest drivers out on the market, period. Top hardware with shit drivers makes em crap overall.

I'll say it again.. STEER CLEAR OF ATI

Comment

Of course you were told SLI is the way to go - how else is he going to make his money if he doesn't sell you TWO graphics cards at $700 a pop?

Humans can't process more than about 24 frmes per second anyways. PAL tv standard? 25fps. NTSC? 30fps. A 7800GT or X850XT will have enough power to run pretty much any game without dropping below 30fps, so what does it matter at the moment?

All a SLI setup will do for you these days is increase your electricity bill, increase your case temps, increase the noise levels in your case and increase the size of your e-cock.

It won't increase playability. There's a company that's produced a physics processing unit that will take more lad off the CPU, and I feel that that will be more inportant than SLI. But we'll have to wait and see if it takes off...

Originally posted by 1100101@Nov 22 2005, 10:50 AM
                  Given my personal experiences with ATI, I MUST strongly advice against it. Ati has the dodgiest drivers out on the market, period. Top hardware with shit drivers makes em crap overall.

[snapback]191797[/snapback]
                  I've only ever bought 1 ATi card - an X600 from Gigabyte. Wasn't that impressed with the Catalyst drivers, but they do the job, and I haven't had any problems yet. That card is residing in my HTPC at the moment...
                  Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
                  (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Comment

See thats the sort of answer I wanted... plain and simple .. like me ..

If its not going to do anything for me then ill just get the one card.

Comment

Originally posted by shrike@Nov 22 2005, 10:50 AM
                      Of course you were told SLI is the way to go - how else is he going to make his money if he doesn't sell you TWO graphics cards at $700 a pop?

Humans can't process more than about 24 frmes per second anyways. PAL tv standard? 25fps. NTSC? 30fps. A 7800GT or X850XT will have enough power to run pretty much any game without dropping below 30fps, so what does it matter at the moment?

[snapback]191798[/snapback]
                      I think you will find that 24fps TV is interlaced, so its more like 50fps non-interlaced before people notice a difference. also depends on the refresh rate of your monitor/LCD. lower refresh rates will blur the frames and help hide smoothness problems.

You will notice jumps/jerkiness on anything that runs around 40-50ps as as soon as something interesting happens and the CPU or GPU loads up, you will notice lag or flicker.

That said... I always look at the performance vs cost graph and pick the apex of the curve where cost starts climbing significantly yet performance increase is not that much better.
                      Mainly because I put an emphasis on $$$ since I know the "bleeding edge" stuff (as far as PCs go ) will only get me another 6 months before I have to upgrade... but its twice the price.

I doubt you will notice any serious difference with 2 graphics cards with any game/application that isnt designed to have 2 cards. (ie pixar style complex rendering). (Yes I know some games try.. but most dont design well for it... they just rely on card features to do whatever the API says they can do.... eg "turn on this feature if you have it.")

Comment

Thats why Im trying to work ot if the SLI path is worth it ..

It is expensive .. I mean the two cards are 2k .. so its an expensive proposition ..

I might just look at the single 7800GTX card and whack the 4GB of ram on.

Comment

Originally posted by 1100101+Nov 22 2005, 10:50 AM-->

[snapback]191797[/snapback]
                          [/b]
                          Once upon a time maybe, but this is definitely no longer the case.

<!--QuoteBegin-shrike
                          @Nov 22 2005, 10:50 AM
                          Humans can&#39;t process more than about 24 frmes per second anyways. PAL tv standard? 25fps. NTSC? 30fps. A 7800GT or X850XT will have enough power to run pretty much any game without dropping below 30fps, so what does it matter at the moment?
                          [snapback]191798[/snapback]
                          No, the human eye can process frame rates much much higher - some have suggested as high as 120 frames per second. Also video games don&#39;t have motion blur like your TV does so the eye will be much more sensitive to movement.
                          http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

Agree with the others. Bang for buck just isn&#39;t there yet for SLI. As for gaming you wont notice any increase in performance. Intence grafix rendering is a different story as always.
                            I must ask why do you need a machine that fast anyway. What you have looks heaps fast enouth for anything most ppl could throw at it.

Oh and what raid config you running the drives on. May i suggest 2 250&#39;sata on raid for boot and storage and a single 250 for backup. more ecconomicle.

And how much do you want for your 6800gt Sparkle$$$$

Comment

Agree with the others. Bang for buck just isn&#39;t there yet for SLI. As for gaming you wont notice any increase in performance. Intence grafix rendering is a different story as always.
                              fair enuff ... i dont do much rendering work anymore so ill stick with the one card .. ill just get a SLI MB and card to suit .. just in case you know

I must ask why do you need a machine that fast anyway. What you have looks heaps fast enouth for anything most ppl could throw at it.
                              ummmmm cause ... .. ummm because ...... I had a good reason ... but i lost it ..

i dont know .. i like shiney shit .... and i want to be able to play dvds .. play wow ..and have TS and a few apps open all at once. .. i orignally wanted SLI so i could have 3 - 4 screens running from 1 PC ..

Oh and what raid config you running the drives on. May i suggest 2 250&#39;sata on raid for boot and storage and a single 250 for backup. more ecconomicle. 
                              i dunno ... wat ever my computer smart friends say is the best... I will have a back up system that is separate to the pc&#39;s so the raid array is only for storage ..

having said that .. ill ask them wat the go is

And how much do you want for your 6800gt Sparkle$$$$
                              i dont know .. if i end up upgrading i was thinking i would use it in one of the others ... esp as all i will need to add will be the case and PSU and ill ahve a whole new computer ..

if i sell it ill let ya know ..

Comment

Working...
                              X