Tasmania travel questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasmania travel questions

SWMBO and I are thinking about going to Tassie, but we can only get 7 or 8 days off together. I'm thinking about spending 3 or 4 days in Hobart and surrounds, and the same in either Launceston or Devonport. Can people recommend one over the other, or wouldn't it really matter? Thanks in advance.
    "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

some suggestions here:

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ip-pics-30589/

If its a driving holiday you could do a whole lap of tassie at a comfy pace in 7 days. It truely is a magic place it won't matter where you end up (but Hobart is still my fave over Launceston and Devenport).

Comment

Originally posted by Sventek View Post
      SWMBO and I are thinking about going to Tassie, but we can only get 7 or 8 days off together. I'm thinking about spending 3 or 4 days in Hobart and surrounds, and the same in either Launceston or Devonport. Can people recommend one over the other, or wouldn't it really matter? Thanks in advance.
      Take your sister so you fit in?
      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Thanks for that. Great pics! I wouldn't mind driving, but I think she wants to have somewhere to use as a base each night.
        "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chew View Post
          Take your sister so you fit in?
          Eeewwww!

Comment

I know this doesn’t directly answer your question but I’d recommend a visit to Cradle Mountain and a stroll on the Overland Track. Then head down the west coast to Strahan and Ocean Beach. It’s a beautiful little corner of the planet and you’ll get some great pics.

Comment

Whatever you do, make sure you leave time for the Cradle Mountain region. Utterly jaw dropping.
              Another suggestion is to just download a map of all the Targa Special stages and then just go from there...

edit: Beaten by OD.
              Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

I think Strahan is place that is defiantly worth seeing. I went on a driving holiday last year. Went Hobart to Port Arthur. PA to Launceston. Launceston to Stanley. Stanley to Cradle Mountain. Cradle Mountain to Strahan. Strahan to Queenstown. Queenstown to New Norfolk. New Norfolk to Dover and then Dover to Hobart. We drove around in a little campervan and just called up caravan parks as we went.

Strahan

We went on the West Coast Wilderness Railway and the World Heritage Cruises on the Gordon River.

But it will all depend if you want a relaxing or driving holiday. We didn't make it to the east coast. But we saw some amazing things. Cradle Mountain is another great place to visit.

Also when your in Launceston check out
                http://www.launcestoncataractgorge.c...iffgrounds.htm

ellE

jenius

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I'll need to try and make this 2 weeks instead of one week. Cradle Mountain for sure.

Comment

Go for a quiet surf? Bit of a walk in with no boat.

Waves can be a bit tricky.

Must not fall off!
                    They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Don't plan on averaging WA travel times. Tassie roads are windy and hilly. 50 kph can be quite a decent average - over the course of a week. Plus, you're on holidays, so enjoy the views....

Watch out for Wallabies, Wombats and Tassie Devils on the roads - it's road-kill central down there!

Make sure, as others have said, go to Cradle Mountain...it's a great climb, and the views are stunning.

Oh, and your sister should be there to, to, um, keep you warm....maybe yer brother as well
                      Dead Man's Hand
                      Internationational Porter Protection Group
                      Just call me Pat

Comment

speaking of your sister any pics?
                        Every one has a story.....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...updates-82338/

Comment

Launceston is more central IMO and makes a better northern base.
                          Remember to visit Duck Reach while in Launceston. And visit Perth in Tasmania for a laugh.
                          When touring the south, base in Hobart.
                          Do you plan to drive or do it on a bike? If driving I can recommend Launceston Car Hire. $50 a day gets you a MX5 NB. You could get the Z3 or the Boxster but you won't really be able to use all the power on winding roads and crazy wildlife.
                          If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

Thanks SilentBob.

Comment

In Hobart at the moments it turns out. What a great place. Plenty to see and do as above have said. If you're into art, check out MONA. Well worth the ferry ride.

Time to talk to the boss about buying a place here I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X